Custom menus

Both Iconica and Vertigo seem to have custom menus (I’ve attached a screenshot of the custom menus seen in their YouTube videos). I attempted to create a custom menu as well but I can’t seem to figure out how they were able to make this work. I created a switch with a popup variable to pull up my menu template. I then created a faux menu that is grid of exclusive switches all tied to the same parameter but each one has it’s own on-value. This worked perfect. The issue I have is when I add another switch on top to close the menu once a selection is made. The close switch seems to prevent the menu switches from being pressed if the switch is above the menu. If the close switch is below the menu it doesn’t trigger the switch at all. How was Steinberg and Cinematique able to pull this off?

Sketch.png

My secomd attachment didn’t post the first time. Here it is again.

Hi abject39,

Those custom menus are interesting. Maybe they are coming with Halion 6.2 update.

But I like your idea with radio switches and popup list variable. I guess you could also try stack or disable to achieve similar results.

I tried it with popup list and stack and I find using the stack to be easier.
Maybe those presets could give you some ideas how to solve the closing switch.
Until Steinberg tells us how it’s done :smiley:
Popup menu.zip (11.9 KB)

Your popup list preset is exactly what I did but mine didn’t work. I can only assume it is because each option in yours is a template while each option in mine was the exact switch and label combination. We might have just discovered some sort of bug here. I’m going to look further into this.

Ok so it seems you did a bit more than what I did because you utilized the UI script. Your Stack idea was a pretty smart work around. So I finally figured it out. There seems to be a bug with the switches and variables created via macro elements. I used your stack preset and created an integer variable in the macro GUI tab and changed your switches and stack to this variable. The menu would no longer close. I have no idea why this is but this is the exact problem I was having. For whatever reason the switch is no longer selectable because it is at the bottom of the group. If you bring it to the top of the group then the switch will work but you can no longer select anything in the menu.

The trick is in the script. Apart from changing the parameter the menu is connected to it also sets the stack/popup to zero. If you click an “empty” space you click on the switch which does the same. Sets the stack/popup to zero.

The stack version was easier because I used program tree script stack parameter as integer variable and connected everything directly to it. Popup list is using the same idea but is slightly more complicated. I created a Popup list variable in macro page editor and using a ui script connected it to the program tree script.

The problem I’m having seems to come from the source of the variable. Here, I’ve attached your exact same stack preset but instead of using a scripted variable it used a macro variable. Although the variables are both integer types the switch no longer works properly. I have no idea why this is causing the switch to improperly work. I can only assume this is a bug. It seems that when I first posted this, I did everything right. The switch just wasn’t responding correctly with the variable I used because it was a macro variable instead of a script variable. Your popup preset is along the lines of the original preset I created that caused me to discover the issue. My choice of variable source seemed to have caused the error.
stack menuBUG.zip (5.67 KB)

As I look more into your popup preset, there’s one thing I don’t understand (I think this might be part of my problem). Why did you create a script for popup and connect in the ui script instead of connecting both the open and close switches to the popup variable in your macro tree? Connecting both to it is what I did and that is clearly not working. How did you know not to do that and why?

The problem I’m having seems to come from the source of the variable. Here, I’ve attached your exact same stack preset but instead of using a scripted variable it used a macro variable. Although the variables are both integer types the switch no longer works properly. I have no idea why this is causing the switch to improperly work. I can only assume this is a bug.

In this case I think it’s by design and it’s the problem you described in the first post. When the switch is below other element in gui tree you can’t access it.

To overcome this I’m using a program tree callback function to change the value of the stack/popup. But there’s no way to connect a program tree script parameter and variable you create in the ui. That’s why I’m using the ui script and create the variables(parameters) there. They serve as interface. You can connect them to a macro page controls and at the same time to some script parameters in program tree.

The stack version is the most simple. You can use the stack parameter from the program tree script as a integer variable and connect the switches to it directly. Or you could do it like this:
stack menuBUG 2.zip (5.7 KB)
The popup list version is a bit more complicated. Creating an integer parameter or a string list in a ui script is simple. But I don’t know how to create a “functional” popup list parameter. That’s why in this case I created a variable (Popup List) and 2 ui script parameters. They serve as interface between program tree script, macro page switches and Popup List variable.

I’ve tried this a dozen times and it has not worked once. Are you using a different version of Halion or something? What version number are you running?

I swapped the variable for a scripted one. Used the same name for the ui script parameter so I didn’t have to reconnect everything.

I understand completely everything you’re doing but for some reason when I do it the result is a menu that isn’t working.