Not as easy as it looks- ADSR

Hi guys,
I’m fairly new to Halion 6 but not to programing synths, I enjoy a challenge and discovering how things work- (how intuitive they are :laughing: )
but I think I must be missing something very basic and obvious when using Macro Page designer…

I’ve printed out the manual and read it many times and then tried to make my own synth.
I’ve managed to design a nice background and imported it , added a number of knobs & sliders and even managed to control some features & FX but not the Envelopes.

I have loaded a spread of 29 organ samples and created an Amp ADSR but I cannot find a way of making Halion control all the samples at the same time.
Surely it should be like “Grouping” - I just select all the organ samples and then drag them to the envelope control settings? is this too obvious or am I asking the impossible- What have I missed?

I’ve read peoples comments like “just change the scope” . Well I’ve looked in the manual and it barely explains what “Scope” is {a hidden menu perhaps??]
Can anyone direct me to the section that clearly explains what it is and how I would use it? (with meaningful examples)

I’m beginning to notice that all the online videos are showing user instruments that only have one sample mapped across the whole key range (even I can make the ADSR work like this) but not when I have two or more samples.

I’m keen to learn but currently feeling very frustrated. HELP !
Paddy C

Hi Paddy C,

Changing the scope is really the way to do it. It is explained in this section of the manual: Edit Scope

It’s definitely possible to use the adsr envelope for multiple zones.

*Edit: If the link doesn’t work it’s Halion 6 manual/Macro Pages/Editing and Assembling Elements/Edit Scope

Thanks for the reply, sadly this does not help me very much.- I still don’t know what “Scope” means and how is it supposed to work-[ the manual is very poor at explaining these finer points] “Multiple Zones”–do you mean I have to put each sample into its’ own Zone?

Ok, so I’m new to Halion 6, but I’m making some progress:-(see attached)
Organ x1 low res.jpg
I have assigned knobs to change the Volume & Pan, added a few effects and 2 controllers for the Coarse & Fine Tune of all the samples [this was all very easy and logical]
So why can’t I link an ADSR to a set of Multi samples [surely such a basic task should be straightforward and simple- why have Steinberg made it so counter-intuitive in Halion 6?]

To repeat my problem.
I have created a group called “Envelope” and inside it there are 4 sliders: A,D,S and R
I have a Layer called “Samples” and in it I have 24 Organ samples
I would like to assign the ADSR Envelope to control all 24 samples- How do i do it?

The manual has not helped, which is why I am asking for your assistance.
Can someone please tell me what I have to write and in which boxes to make this happen.
( or maybe post an example of how they are using an ADSR to control their multisamples)

I could really do with some help here please.
Thanks
Paddy C

To repeat my problem.
I have created a group called “Envelope” and inside it there are 4 sliders: A,D,S and R
I have a Layer called “Samples” and in it I have 24 Organ samples
I would like to assign the ADSR Envelope to control all 24 samples- How do i do it?

Open Macro Page Designer Extended. Select one of your samples in the program tree. Connect the DCAAttOffset parameter to your attack slider. With the slider selected on macro page click into the Value field.

Now you should see something like:

@0:Layer 1/@0:Zone 1/@id:c8

Well in your case it’s more likely to be something like @0:Samples/@0:Organ_C1.wav/@id:c8

This is scope. The slider (knob) in my example from the picture controls parameter with id c8 of the first zone with name “Zone 1” in first layer with name “Layer 1”.
To make it control all zones in that layer just change it to:

@0:Layer 1/@type:Zone/@id:c8

If you want to control all zones of the program you can skip the @0:Layer 1/ and do it simply like this:

(ADSR for amp envelope)

@type:Zone/@id:c8
@type:Zone/@id:c9
@type:Zone/@id:ca
@type:Zone/@id:cb
1 Like

Brilliant-
Just what I needed.

Thank You.
Paddy c.