Piano Roll - "Quick Edit" toggle (add/delete note with single left/right click and more)

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 can be posted here.
Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Piano Roll - "Quick Edit" toggle (add/delete note with single left/right click and more)

Post by Romantique Tp »

There could be a toolbar button that activates a special mode where a single left click adds a note, while right clicks delete them, similar to a certain infamous DAW.

Alt + Shift + Right Click could bring up a simplified toolbox, where tools are combined following this concept (for example, left click to split, right click to glue).

I'm sure that the Steinberg designers could come up with even more ways to make this useful.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Re: Piano Roll - "Quick Edit" toggle (add/delete note with single left/right click and more)

Post by Romantique Tp »

A little bump since I posted this while everyone was sleeping.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

djw

Re: Piano Roll - "Quick Edit" toggle (add/delete note with single left/right click and more)

Post by djw »

I've always wanted right click to erase notes, so much that I made an autohotkey script for it that worked surprisingly well, but I lost the script and forgot how I did it.

So +1.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

Simple way, but you lose the right click menu. Also, there's no way to tell AHK what zone you're in, aside from coordinates, so you can only use IfWindow in independent editors.

Code: Select all

#SingleInstance Force
RButton::  ; use ^RButton instead to require ctrl key as modifier
Send, 3 ; the keystroke for eraser0
click
KeyWait, RButton
Send, 0 ; the keystroke for select tool
return 
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

djw

Post by djw »

-steve- wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:31 pm
Simple way, but you lose the right click menu. Also, there's no way to tell AHK what zone you're in, aside from coordinates, so you can only use IfWindow in independent editors.

Code: Select all

#SingleInstance Force
RButton::  ; use ^RButton instead to require ctrl key as modifier
Send, 3 ; the keystroke for eraser0
click
KeyWait, RButton
Send, 0 ; the keystroke for select tool
return 
My script spammed the eraser clicks as fast as possible so you could delete multiple notes while holding down the right mouse button.

Honestly though, especially with zones now, AHK won't do.

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

+1
Win10 x64;Core i5-4670;16GB RAM;SSD system HDD library;Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB
Cubase (always last update)

NoMad92

Post by NoMad92 »

+1
Just like the drum editor, something like double click adds a note, double click on a note erase it (i'm always doin it and finding myself opening the note expression...how annoying)
Win10 creator 64bit, 16gb, i5-2550
DAW: Cubase 10.5
Hardware: Steinberg UR 12, Nektar Panorama P4, Akai MPD226
VSTs: UVI Falcon, VPS Avenger, Sylenth1

Hattrixx

Post by Hattrixx »

+1

more options for speedy workflow please

G-row12

Post by G-row12 »

They need to improve the piano roll more..

+1

knechtodawas

Post by knechtodawas »

+1

I'm currently using the discontinued Orion by Synapse Audio as my main DAW which has basically the same piano roll as FL Studio (left click: enter note, right click: delete note, left drag move note...). Cubase's current piano roll is the only thing holding me back from buying Cubase Pro.

simthembile

Post by simthembile »

+1... FL is a living example of how can piano rall be improved. I know Steinberg can even do more.

nordlead26

Post by nordlead26 »

+1
Cubase Pro 9.5.50 x64
Windows 10 x 64bit
Intel Core i7 860
20 GB RAM
audio interface MOTU 828 MKII

nordlead26

Post by nordlead26 »

ive just posted something that can be a great addition together with your suggestion

viewtopic.php?f=252&t=138689
Cubase Pro 9.5.50 x64
Windows 10 x 64bit
Intel Core i7 860
20 GB RAM

nordlead26

Post by nordlead26 »

simthembile wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:42 am
+1... FL is a living example of how can piano rall be improved. I know Steinberg can even do more.
The best combination is FL and Ableton Live piano roll functions ... FL with the clicks to add and remove notes and Ableton with the easiest way to move up down, left right and shift + arrows to enlarge notes ... great feature of ableton piano roll is also, there does not exist overlapping notes
Cubase Pro 9.5.50 x64
Windows 10 x 64bit
Intel Core i7 860
20 GB RAM

T-bag

Post by T-bag »

+1
Windows 10 64 bit; 64GB Ram; Intel i7 8700; VEP Slave i9 64gb ram; Graphics-twin monitor;
Hardware: Motif XF7; Emu Esynth; MPK249; XV5080; MOTU 828mk3 & 2408; Komplete Kontrol S49
Plug Ins - Mach Five-3; Kontakt V; Best Service Engine; Omnisphere; Lemur & Metagrid controllers; Cubase User since 1993.

G-row12

Post by G-row12 »

+1 make the pencil tool remembers the last used value like Logic Pro.🎶

battleangel

Post by battleangel »

simthembile wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:42 am
Oh damn. I was FL user in the past. I hope Steinberg doesn't make Piano Roll like the one in FL. Sorry differences in preferences ;)

take3

Post by take3 »

+1

Please put this in the Cubase 10 forum too.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”