7 design issues that should be easy to fix in Cubase

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 can be posted here.
raino
Grand Senior Member

Re: 7 design issues that should be easy to fix in Cubase

Post by raino »

omniphonix wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:32 pm
mitchiemasha wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:50 pm
I know that... that's not my point... it's the abruptness of the 'NEON GREEN' line that was the issue. I don't mind it now.
Eh... you'll never get everyone to agree on a color. I'm sure at some point they'll let you customize it in the preferences.
yeah, that's what's really needed.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

mitchiemasha

Post by mitchiemasha »

Ahhh... There's a reason it's a different 'E'. The capital 'E', if you press and hold it, it opens the VST editor instead of the channels settings editor.
W10, CP10.5, i7 9700k OC 5.0, Noctua NH-U9S, MSI z390, 16Gb 3000Mhz DDR4, PCIe NVME 970 Pro, Be Quiet SP11, Virus TI (Integrated), Yamaha CS2x (Custom Mapped), Dynaudio BM5's mkII & Eve SC305's.

fese

Post by fese »

mitchiemasha wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:24 am
Ahhh... There's a reason it's a different 'E'. The capital 'E', if you press and hold it, it opens the VST editor instead of the channels settings editor.
That is actually stupid, too. We have a symbol for opening the VSTi since forever. And nowhere else in Cubase do you have to long-click something... inconsistent, again :)

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat »

My vision of the MixConsole
New MixConsole1.jpg
(1.7 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Cubase 9.5
Win 8.1 or Win 10 Pro; Intel Core i7-8700K; Gigabyte GA-Z370 HD3P; 16 GB, 3000 MHz; GeForce GTX 1050.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Winter Rat wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:38 am
My vision of the MixConsole

New MixConsole1.jpg
I've never been very good at the spot the difference game.

Some clues would be nice.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Naturligasteg

Post by Naturligasteg »

Not on the top of my wish list, but you are right.

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat »

Hi raino,
here you are
Fader zone - 1.tiny lines to separate the channels. 2.knobs are separated and smaller 3.Colored track names are separated, so now if you have 2 or more tracks the same color it's easier to see them. 4.Bright lines on the borders of the selected channel.
Track names are doubled on the top of the Console.(must be optional in the view settings)
Oh, and of course track names are centered.
Cubase 9.5
Win 8.1 or Win 10 Pro; Intel Core i7-8700K; Gigabyte GA-Z370 HD3P; 16 GB, 3000 MHz; GeForce GTX 1050.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Winter Rat wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:30 am
Hi raino,
here you are
Fader zone - 1.tiny lines to separate the channels. 2.knobs are separated and smaller 3.Colored track names are separated, so now if you have 2 or more tracks the same color it's easier to see them. 4.Bright lines on the borders of the selected channel.
Track names are doubled on the top of the Console.(must be optional in the view settings)
Ahh, I see now. Subtle but effective. The only one I initially picked up was the names at the top. Thanks.
rodger

scoredfilms

Post by scoredfilms »

One more inconsistency to add:

CC automation is curved in the sequencer window, but not in the piano roll CC lanes. If there's anything that can send me to the funny farm even more than tiny scroll bars, that one could probably do it.

I've been roasted to death in the Dorico forum today enough as it is, all because I want good MIDI mockups in notation (a crime punishable by death in some parts of the world). So please forgive my rather goofy, if not somewhat mockingly/irate/defeated attitude. This thread just happened to remind me of all the joy I've felt over the years. I guess I really am better of coding my own program. I've always believed the best coder is someone who codes stuff for their own needs anyway.

Be assured, if I ever DO code my own music software, my scroll bars will be big enough to actually click on without going to far above... below... okay, I finally got my mouse to the right spot. Click. Oh wait, I was a little off. Okay Sean think... move just EVER so slightly... DAG NABBIT I MOVED THE MOUSE TOO FAR!!! ... okay, be careful... just move slightly down... click. WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!

Seriously, who hasn't done it?

-Sean

Turnicate99

Post by Turnicate99 »

scoredfilms wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:47 am
wn music software, my scroll bars will be big enough to actually click on without going to far above... below... okay, I finally got my mouse to the right spot. Click. Oh wait, I was a little off. Okay Sean think... move just EVER so slightly... DAG NABBIT I MOVED THE MOUSE TOO FAR!!! ... okay, be careful... just move slightly down... click. WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!

Seriously, who hasn't done it?

-Sean
Absolutely, this is something that drives me crazy coming from Studio One. Not sure who thought many scroll bars and some level adjustments that are tiny and hard to grab with a mouse was a good idea, but they need to check out the competition (or go back to the way it used to be in Cubase, apparently!) to see how greatly these little things affect one's everyday experience using a DAW, and re-do.

Turnicate99

Post by Turnicate99 »

Almost all of these are suggestions that I agree with. I hope they're listening to this very useful advice!

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat »

scoredfilms wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:44 pm

a composer has to code music software, not a developer who doesn't or barely composes at all.

I think it would be enough if developer listened to composer.
Cubase 9.5

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

Do not derail this thread with long off topic posts. I split part of this to viewtopic.php?f=198&t=130179
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

Electrochimp

Post by Electrochimp »

Glad to read this thread - thought I was the only one who thought that the cubase aesthetic ecosystem was distinctly amateur and sloppy for one of the longest standing DAWs on the market with a big following. S1, ableton etc all leave it in the dust for design / aesthetics. Even when installing I get the occasional prompt that looks like its from win95 or something. Just feels amteurish in places. I know its only looks, but its that lack of attention to detail that feels sloppy now that they are at 9.5 in 2018 and still looking clunky. Splash out on a team of graphic designers to come in and get it all spic n span for C10 please. Liking the Ableton 10 aesthetic revamp. Nothing revolutionary, just a subtle but very professional set of improvements that leave it looking great and pleasant to work in. No reason why Cubase can't achieve the same - no excuse in this day and age I think.

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis »

raino wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:51 pm
Winter Rat wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:30 am
Hi raino,
here you are

Ahh, I see now. Subtle but effective. The only one I initially picked up was the names at the top. Thanks.
Exactly! And to repeat, yes thanks for doing that, Winter Rat.

Not holding my breath for any imminent changes of the sort discussed herein, however. My personal opinion is that unless/until there is a critical mass of GUI problems that somehow obviously degrades Cubase function we are more likely to see LoopMash 5.3 before these changes implemented.
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

galoz

Post by galoz »

Good post!
Cubase 9.5.3 pro
Windows 7 64bits - Core i5 - SSD - 8Gb - Motu PCI 424 - Motu 2408MKiii - Motu 1296 -

Denis van der Velde

Post by Denis van der Velde »

To me with Cubase 9.5 the design part is the new Windows System and old Windows vs New Windows style. I like the new style. But a large set of older windows do not make my day. A lot of C9.5 functions open up in the old windows style (like E effects and so on, lots of them are not changed and where there before SX3 ? C5 or something like that). I like the new workflow, but the older windows getting behind the main window and switching back and forth to them, is kinda NOT the new workflow. So i quess Cubase / Steinberg is gonna scream for C.10 that more of them are changed to the new system... for me it would not be so good update if only that was a done... it should have been done in C9, to transfer the whole look to the new workflow...
I7 8core 16tread 32gb Aopen Board, SSD Samsung. C10,W10,Halion6,Groove Agent5,etc.
Running on 8ms Latency with a Soundblaster XFi Pro. Yamaha MW12c USB mixer.
Behringer TRUTH B2031A active studiomonitors. Sony MDR-V900 Headphones.
Steinberg CC121 Controller. Mackie Control Pro.

Denis van der Velde
http://www.curioza.com
AAMS Auto Audio Mastering System for Windows

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

One of the best Topics ever!
Thank you!

+ 1 !!!!!!!

I agree on all points. I have posted much of it in german forum since years.
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

I wrote this on another post here, but another example is the new Click/Metronome menu in C9.5. It looks like it's from another program, and is so spread-out as to be unwieldy in use compared to the former one.
Latest Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9 10920x 12-core 4.8gHz, 128 gigs RAM, AMD RX-550 , plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

In_Stereo wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:32 pm
I wrote this on another post here, but another example is the new Click/Metronome menu in C9.5. It looks like it's from another program, and is so spread-out as to be unwieldy in use compared to the former one.
The new metronome is an entirely different animal, with better functions, finally. It's really not comparable.

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

-steve- wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:28 pm
The new metronome is an entirely different animal, with better functions, finally. It's really not comparable.
Agreed - it's a new animal. But the format/look of the menu itself should be consistent (as much as possible, anyway) with most of the current Cubase menus. There's no reason to go with a completely new look/format for the menu, just a need to change the previous one so that it fits the new and very welcome features....unless the new format is going to be the standard for all other menus (I hope that's not the case, because the new metronome menu is very big and spread out).
Latest Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9 10920x 12-core 4.8gHz, 128 gigs RAM, AMD RX-550 , plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

The width is there for the click pattern section. A narrower minimum width is all that's needed in my opinion.

But I don't consider this to be emblematic of this problem. Cubase is moving to newer methods of drawing the interface, dictated by changing technology in OS's, and it's the old stuff that needs to catch up.

Anyway, I'm not so bothered by the different styles. (btw, it's not a menu, it's a dialog box. )

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil »

MixConsole Contrast and coloring ability update + 19487912874120481
Of course I've been ranting about that since the mixconsole appeared. I'm not hopeful. I've played the "please identify the selected column" game.
I've pointed out how unreadable it is compared to the old mixer, which had clear delineation. Not to mention ruining the Control Room to what is now a Rubik's Cube of tabs and settings, that hide the audio flow that used to be the center of what it is for, toss in the unreadable Channel Strip and it makes what could have been a great redesign fall flat IMO.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

-steve- wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:01 pm
The width is there for the click pattern section. A narrower minimum width is all that's needed in my opinion.

But I don't consider this to be emblematic of this problem. Cubase is moving to newer methods of drawing the interface, dictated by changing technology in OS's, and it's the old stuff that needs to catch up.

Anyway, I'm not so bothered by the different styles. (btw, it's not a menu, it's a dialog box. )
I never use the click patterns thing (so far, anyway), and see now that it uses all the space. I understand that they need to move to newer methods, I have not a single problem with that and think that they should. What I would like would be for all the new designs to be consistent with their look, including scroll bars and more. If how the metronome dialog box is the way things are going to look, that's great, and I understand that it's so big because it needs to accommodate that click pattern tab -- as long as they continue with that same general design aesthetic for every dialog box, and update them all.

This kind of thing certainly is not a deal-breaker of any kind, but when I use other DAWs and other software, it calls attention upon itself in Cubase and doesn't feel as pro to me because of it. I know I'm not alone, and of course some will have a differing opinion. :)

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

mod note: (While this thread is fairly wide-ranging, it has been staying within the topics in the OP. So please read the first post, and if your request is about something else, kindly create a new topic rather than posting here. I'll move remove or move, OT posts. )

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”