7 design issues that should be easy to fix in Cubase

To me with Cubase 9.5 the design part is the new Windows System and old Windows vs New Windows style. I like the new style. But a large set of older windows do not make my day. A lot of C9.5 functions open up in the old windows style (like E effects and so on, lots of them are not changed and where there before SX3 ? C5 or something like that). I like the new workflow, but the older windows getting behind the main window and switching back and forth to them, is kinda NOT the new workflow. So i quess Cubase / Steinberg is gonna scream for C.10 that more of them are changed to the new system… for me it would not be so good update if only that was a done… it should have been done in C9, to transfer the whole look to the new workflow…

One of the best Topics ever!
Thank you!

• 1 !!!

I agree on all points. I have posted much of it in german forum since years.

I wrote this on another post here, but another example is the new Click/Metronome menu in C9.5. It looks like it’s from another program, and is so spread-out as to be unwieldy in use compared to the former one.

The new metronome is an entirely different animal, with better functions, finally. It’s really not comparable.

Agreed - it’s a new animal. But the format/look of the menu itself should be consistent (as much as possible, anyway) with most of the current Cubase menus. There’s no reason to go with a completely new look/format for the menu, just a need to change the previous one so that it fits the new and very welcome features…unless the new format is going to be the standard for all other menus (I hope that’s not the case, because the new metronome menu is very big and spread out).

The width is there for the click pattern section. A narrower minimum width is all that’s needed in my opinion.

But I don’t consider this to be emblematic of this problem. Cubase is moving to newer methods of drawing the interface, dictated by changing technology in OS’s, and it’s the old stuff that needs to catch up.

Anyway, I’m not so bothered by the different styles. (btw, it’s not a menu, it’s a dialog box. )

MixConsole Contrast and coloring ability update + 19487912874120481
Of course I’ve been ranting about that since the mixconsole appeared. I’m not hopeful. I’ve played the “please identify the selected column” game.
I’ve pointed out how unreadable it is compared to the old mixer, which had clear delineation. Not to mention ruining the Control Room to what is now a Rubik’s Cube of tabs and settings, that hide the audio flow that used to be the center of what it is for, toss in the unreadable Channel Strip and it makes what could have been a great redesign fall flat IMO.

I never use the click patterns thing (so far, anyway), and see now that it uses all the space. I understand that they need to move to newer methods, I have not a single problem with that and think that they should. What I would like would be for all the new designs to be consistent with their look, including scroll bars and more. If how the metronome dialog box is the way things are going to look, that’s great, and I understand that it’s so big because it needs to accommodate that click pattern tab – as long as they continue with that same general design aesthetic for every dialog box, and update them all.

This kind of thing certainly is not a deal-breaker of any kind, but when I use other DAWs and other software, it calls attention upon itself in Cubase and doesn’t feel as pro to me because of it. I know I’m not alone, and of course some will have a differing opinion. :slight_smile:

mod note: (While this thread is fairly wide-ranging, it has been staying within the topics in the OP. So please read the first post, and if your request is about something else, kindly create a new topic rather than posting here. I’ll move remove or move, OT posts. )

The old CR Design was self-explanatory. I don’t understand why there was a need to redesign it. Only for redisign sake in order to cram everything into one channel strip?
The cursor in earlier CB Versions changed color according to background. Now the color is hard-coded but the cursor is three times as wide as before. Because you need white outlines in order to see the cursor while hovering above a selected event (which turns black)

And that’s the same thing like many other design “enhancements” mentioned in this post.
Why? I don’t understand why Steinberg keeps doing that.

+1

Steinberg - Do it!!

couldn’t agree more with the observations and a call for consistency and then NOT changing visuals again and again an again!

Exactly!

Not only the GUI. Lot of other functions is also inconsistent regarding key commands and accessibility though midi and hardware controllers.

Totally Agree. +1000.
Usability failure is an disease that seems to have infected just about every UI on the planet at this point.
For the love of all that is holy, let there be a return to proper UI design principles!

Agreed, everything seemed to lose coherence after that…

+1

…and:

1. Repair Channel Meters
    Something went wrong in C 9.5 like in
  1. Use a consistent UI toolkit

It is much better in C9.0.

+1

+1

+1