Integrate Bezier Curves into Key Editor

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 can be posted here.
Ni1936

Re: Integrate Bezier Curves into Key Editor

Post by Ni1936 »

JBF wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:43 pm
Steinberg Facebook Team just confirmed under their "Use controller lanes ..."-Facebook Post - integration of Bezier Curves into Key editor is on their to do list. Cheers!
Thanks for the update! And also thanks to Steinberg for finally doing this, this is like a halleluja moment!!

Snap vertically and horizontally please please, maybe with a button for that option?

Vendimion

Post by Vendimion »

JBF wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:43 pm
Steinberg Facebook Team just confirmed under their "Use controller lanes ..."-Facebook Post - integration of Bezier Curves into Key editor is on their to do list. Cheers!
+1000
Hope they will !!
Cubase 10.5 Pro | Steinberg UR242 | Win 10, I7-4790K @ 4.00GHz, 16Gb / Radeon RX560 | M-Audio Code61

razkal

Bezier Curves in Key Editor / Piano Roll

Post by razkal »

Enough said this was a great addition to automation the project view, but what about integrating that into the key editor. This was one of the biggest reasons why I upgraded and then to find out it's not in the key editor like I thought it was and the most useful, but NOPE. Get off your tail Steinberg. Love your product, but finish the job in a free upgrade and add bezier curves into the key editor THANK YOU

In_Stereo

Re: Bezier Curves in Key Editor / Piano Roll

Post by In_Stereo »

razkal wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:10 am
Enough said this was a great addition to automation the project view, but what about integrating that into the key editor. This was one of the biggest reasons why I upgraded and then to find out it's not in the key editor like I thought it was and the most useful, but NOPE. Get off your tail Steinberg. Love your product, but finish the job in a free upgrade and add bezier curves into the key editor THANK YOU
Please read all of the recent posts on this thread -- it's coming.
Latest Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9 10920x 12-core 4.8gHz, 128 gigs RAM, AMD RX-550 , plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

Egoadsr

Post by Egoadsr »

omniphonix wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:15 pm
Would this even be possible with MIDI CC? It doesn't work the same way as VST automation.
Good remark, they both are different things, CC are sometimes 1 value per note, but not more than the number in the Cubase's PPQ setting, if think it's 480 PPQ ( pulses per quarter note ), the VST automation are sample-accurate for VST3 plugins, so a simple copy and paste the code in the key editor will not work...

It's possible to make something like that, but maybe not a drawing tool like the automation curve, maybe a sort of "conforming" curve that you apply on top of already recorded CC events, or really smart curves ^^ that do smart point interpolations.

But i know there is ways to control CC with an automation line, in Cubase i don't have a solution right now, but it exist it's sure, in Reaper there is "ReaControlMIDI", within you can assign some CC and then use the sample-accurate automation lines to modulate them.

But if an improvement of the CC drawing and worflow is possible, i'll not spit on a bezier curve inside a CC line :)
Cubase v9.5 + some plugs +a soundcard + midi controllers + little guitars + a pair of M-audio BX5d3 + some good headphones + a good laptop to run Cubase ( this mythological sound software that make me believing when i was young it was an excalibur made by the gods of sound ).

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp »

Controlling MIDI CC using automation lanes is already possible in Cubase. Simply click the "v" button to the bottom left of a MIDI or Instrument track and you'll be able to automate MIDI CCs, and even use curves. For more precision, use the In-Place Editor (Ctrl+Shift+i).

Adding automation curves required the automation system to be completely remade and modernized (one of the reasons why it took a while to be added), and to add this to the Key Editor, the controller lanes will also have to be redone.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

orchetect

Post by orchetect »

omniphonix wrote:
Would this even be possible with MIDI CC? It doesn't work the same way as VST automation.
Yes, Logic Pro and other DAWs have done it for years already.
Steffan Andrews | Composer | Developer | website | imdb | gear list
System 1: 2019 Mac Pro - macOS 10.15.5 - 16-core - 192GB RAM - 8TB SSD - 580X
System 2: 2013 Mac Pro - macOS 10.14.6 - 3.5GHz 6-core - 64GB RAM - 4TB SSD - FirePro D500
DAWs: Cubase 10.5.20 | Dorico Pro 3.5 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5

Pablo1980

Post by Pablo1980 »

I think we are due to an intelligent way of editing cc. Maybe we could put some points and then a keycommand would link them with a parabole, and other with a straight line.

I spend most of my time drawing cc with my mouse and my wrist suffers.

And don’t get me started on smart quantize
Film Composer - Argentina

Intel 9990k - Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390 - 64gb ram - Motu 24ao - Steinberg MR816x (2)
Windows 10.5 64bit - Cubase 10.5 Pro - Vepro 7 (two add PCs)

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

Romantique Tp wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:04 pm
Controlling MIDI CC using automation lanes is already possible in Cubase. Simply click the "v" button to the bottom left of a MIDI or Instrument track and you'll be able to automate MIDI CCs, and even use curves. For more precision, use the In-Place Editor (Ctrl+Shift+i).
This is true, and is something people might not be aware of. Thanks for pointing it out!

But I need to be in the full MIDI editor for a lot of my work (large, detailed editing for scoring that is often not possible with the in-place editor).
Latest Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9 10920x 12-core 4.8gHz, 128 gigs RAM, AMD RX-550 , plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

ANeeman

Post by ANeeman »

Romantique Tp wrote:
All you try, is to prevent programmers from doing their job ;) It seems so.

There is a difference between working in track list using inplace editor and working normally in Key Editor. And if you are musician and composer, then I should not accent how important is to do job in one place. Like one pen and one paper to draw a sketch.

I will not say it is easy to add, but it's worth it, because of infinity "+1" here.
Romantique Tp wrote:
Adding automation curves required the automation system to be completely remade and modernized (one of the reasons why it took a while to be added), and to add this to the Key Editor, the controller lanes will also have to be redone.
We all will buy an upgrade with or without Bezzier feature in Key Editor. But I think most of us are spending our time to tell what would be great to add to this world's best DAW.

As a programmer and developer of many user interfaces I don't understand, why bezziers are implemented in one place and miss in other which is the same important.

The history a little bit...
Does anybody use parabolic line to draw a curved sequence of CC in Key Editor? This feature was in Cubase SX 3 (2005). It's like Windows 95 now. The same about Merge MIDI in Loop. And Edit in Place is from the same stone age. Are you serious? After 13-15 years when workflow should be times faster, we can use a stone hammer to carve CC changes on the wall of cave.

BTW, I love Cubase and it is Best DAW. But don't push users to suppress a need of logical evolution of their tools, okay? ;)
Cubase Pro 10.5, WaveLab Pro 10.0, Dorico Elements 3.5, HALion 6, HSO, KOMPLETE 12 U CE, Spitfire Albion ONE
UR242, MG10XU, MG12XU, CS1x, M-Audio Oxygene-25.
Windows 10 Pro, 3.4 GHz, 16 GB.
Albums: Presence (2019) | Millectrinium (2018) | Nature. Water (2017) | Oracle (2017) | Two. Midnight Talks (2015)

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp »

I'm not telling you that this shouldn't be added, I'm explaining that this is possible but couldn't be done yet for technical reasons. This is a pretty obvious feature request.
ANeeman wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:32 am
The history a little bit...
Does anybody use parabolic line to draw a curved sequence of CC in Key Editor? This feature was in Cubase SX 3 (2005). It's like Windows 95 now. The same about Merge MIDI in Loop. And Edit in Place is from the same stone age. Are you serious? After 13-15 years when workflow should be times faster, we can use a stone hammer to carve CC changes on the wall of cave.
Merge MIDI in Loop is basically Render in Place for MIDI, and the In-Place Editor will continue to be very useful for many things even after they add bezier curves to the Key Editor. I have no idea what you're on about.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

JohnCty

Post by JohnCty »

+1

ctothel

Post by ctothel »

+1

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

HOW TO USE THE NEW AUTOMATION WITH MIDI CC:

Nice Vid from Greg Ondo!

https://youtu.be/HxnDIuQiWzc

:idea:

!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

roger-s.

Post by roger-s. »

omniphonix wrote:
It is surely possible in a graphical way, but otherwise you´re right, the limited resolution of MIDI from 0 to 127 would only make easier to draw that kind of curve, but the resolution would be of the same MIDI range of 0 to 127, and hence jump from one value to another.

All the best.

Roger
Steinberg Training Center FAMA Foco Audio & Music A. , Mexico City

ANeeman

Post by ANeeman »

Yeah, Greg Ondo knows everything about Cubase. Encyclopedia :)
This is relatively new video and I didn't see it in news. Thanks for the link, @Centralmusic.
Cubase Pro 10.5, WaveLab Pro 10.0, Dorico Elements 3.5, HALion 6, HSO, KOMPLETE 12 U CE, Spitfire Albion ONE
UR242, MG10XU, MG12XU, CS1x, M-Audio Oxygene-25.
Windows 10 Pro, 3.4 GHz, 16 GB.
Albums: Presence (2019) | Millectrinium (2018) | Nature. Water (2017) | Oracle (2017) | Two. Midnight Talks (2015)

chikitin

Post by chikitin »

+1

Also in the score editor.
Laptop: iMac, 16GB RAM SSD 2TB, Cubase Pro the latest w/ two external Monitors and SBX subwoofer
VST Connect Pro, NI Komplete 5, EWQLSO, HSO, GA 5
Synths: Yamaha PSR-A3000, Roland Fantom XR
Interface: Steinberg MR-816CSX, UR 22 mkII
Effects: Rocktron DSP, Lexicon MPX 550
Controller: Steinberg CC121, Yamaha KX25,49,88, Korg Nano Kontrol, Boss RC 300, Yamaha MFC 10, CMC-PD

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”