Transformer and more

Hi,

I have some issues with setting up my template. Maybe someone could give me a hint.

1. I am not old enough to know, how MIDI was used, when it was invented, so I set up the channels like I have seen in some videos. With just one MIDI-Track per Rack-Instr on one channel, there is no problem. But I like to have 3 channels passed through and the rest disabled on one Instrument. I now tried to do it via Input Transformer and filter the channels. But I do not get it to work. I can achieve, that 2 channels are passed through, but not 3. I set it up like this (trying to only let ch 1-3 pass):

upper section:
channel-unequal-1 and
channel-unequal-2 and
channel-unequal-3
lower section: empty
Type: filter

If I delete one of the channels, that works, but not with 3 channels. To be honest, I am not very familiar with all this bool-stuff. Maybe it is about some missing brackets?

1. I have some rotaries on my QuNeo I want to use. When assigning it to QuickControls it works as an endless encoder as intended. But when I try to use it as Generic Remote to control CC7 on an instrument, it just jumps between 1 and 127. I have set everything the same way (with tags relative). Anyone know this problem?

2. Since the pads of the QuNeo are x-y-sensible, I want to use them to trigger chord pads and control Modulation and something else with them. One of the main problems of KMI-products seems to be the Vel-Response. The x-y-sensors however work pretty well. So I thought about converting a CC to velocity, so that Velocity responds to the x- or y-movement. I managed to transform velocity to CC, but not vice versa. Does anyone know, how to do this?

Thanks in advance!
Jan :wink:

Hi,

I would recommend to create 3 separated threads.

1. If
    upper section:
    channel-unequal-1 and
    channel-unequal-2 and
    channel-unequal-3
    lower section: empty
    Type: filter

Then only data on MIDI Channel 1, 2 and 3 will pass thru. MIDI Data on Channel 4-16 will be filtered out. Make sure the Module is enabled.

1. I wouldn’t set the Flag as Relative, I would just keep the Receive flag enabled. Make sure the max value is 127. Does the QuNeo really sends values 0-127? Can you record the data to Cubase and confirm? Doesn’t it send inc and dec?

2. I don’t know. But Last Event Filter Target could be a key in the Input Transformer.

Thank you very much.
Point one works!
Point three I found a workaround via PureData.
Point two is still to be solved.
The QuNeo-Rotaries have 2 Options: They can send values from 1-127 or only +1/-127.
I got everything to work in Cubase`s Mix-Console. I can assign it to faders there. But I would like to use the Rotaries to vary CC-Messages. And this seems to be a problem, because some VSTi (like VIPro) do not have a Quick-Control-compatibility. So I can just use the Rotaries like normal sliders. From 1-127. This works in VIPro.
What I would need is a script, where I can modify the input of the CC-Data. I tried this via PureData also, but I do not get it to work yet. I imagine, it could also work via the Input Transformer, but I do not find the right commands.
Do you have any idea there?

Hi,

Please set your MIDI keyboard to send the values 0-127. Make sure the keyboard is not used as any Remote Device. Make sure there is no Input Transformer on the track. Add MIDI Insert > MIDI Monitor. Move the rotary knob.

What can you see in the MIDI Monitor now? I expect you should see continues data 0-127. If not, why is there the setup on your keyboard?

If it sends really just inc/dec values (I couldn’t imagine so), I did a patch to handle this in Max/MSP. It shouldn’t be a big deal to rebuild it with PureData.

KMI has Software Editors for their products. There, in the case of the QuNeo, you can assign, whether you want the Rotaries to send values from 0-127 (after one turn it starts at 0 again) or if you want to send inc/dec. I did not check it with the MIDI Monitor, but in my VSTi you can clearly see it, for example when assigning the rotaries to a certain CC.
If you let it send values from 0-127 it does so. The resolution is quite good there.
If you do the inc/dec, it jumps between 1 and 127.
Could you maybe send me this Max-Patch, so that I can see it through?
I only have Ableton Live Light, so how would I be able to read it?

Hello Martin. I am wondering why you are not using Channel bigger 3 in the upper section.

Hi,

Just because I didn’t come to the idea. :slight_smile:

:smiley: