Changing Plugin Categories

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
screentan

Changing Plugin Categories

Post by screentan »

I'm not liking the way the plugins are categorised in Cubase 9. It seems very haphazard and illogical. It has Real Guitar in the Synth category for one thing. Are you able to customise the categorisation?

planarchist

Re: Changing Plugin Categories

Post by planarchist »

You can't change the default set but you can create your own ones and then not use the defaults.

Open the Plugin Manager and click on the + symbol near the top right. You then get the option of creating an empty collection, adding all the plugins or copying another existing collection. Then you name your new collection and can then start moving things around and/or create your own sub-folders.

Much better than the default bizarre collections as you say. I think this came in with Cubase 8.
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.5, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.5. Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit , Steinberg CI2+.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 2.5 iPad Mini 4 64GB

My Cubase recorded songs here (also on most other streaming services).... https://open.spotify.com/artist/6rHmZY1IPskvtYL1Zzw6Vy

Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

The fastest way to do that, IMO, is to duplicate the default collection, add the categories you want, remove those you don't want and arrange the plug-ins accordingly. You can also back this up for future use (PluginManager.xml in the preferences). However, categorisation for VST3 plug-ins is decided by the developer, not by Cubase (whereas VST2 picks up the category from the folder you put the dll file in). Although I would not exclude that un-categorised VSTi end up in 'Synth'. Plugin Manager came with 8, indeed.

RichardinNL

Post by RichardinNL »

A little late reaction but very helpful for me today!

screentan

Post by screentan »

Yes I only saw these replies myself now as I wasn't getting notifications for a while back then. Thanks for these solutions.

Return to “General”