New GUI in Cubase 6

I hate new GUI in Cubase 6, these shadows on events like in japaneese cartoons and idiotic black colour on selected event. My eyes are tired in one hour. Is there any way to return to previous version of GUI in Cubase 6 ?
Waclaw

Sorry, couldn’t disagree more. I love the new GUI in C6, especially the shadows on events… it looks way more professional and less toy-like than the previous versions IMHO. Personally, I think the new GUI improvements make C6 look more professional than Logic, Pro Tools, or any other DAW for that matter :sunglasses:

I agree!

To me Cubase 6 is without a doubt the best looking DAW as of today. Love opening it and making music with it. It’s very inspiring to me.

I was always a bit jealous of Logic’s GUI. After Cubase 6 I am not so much anymore…

So, I also have to disagree …

Same here: I think Cubase 6 is gorgeous. It’s very easy for me to work with, responds instantly to any edit… I think the gradients and subtle shadows make it way more usable and less confusing.

I’ve learned long ago that if I want to get any actual music done, I’m going to have to learn what’s worthwhile to gripe about and what isn’t. To me, this falls into the latter category, even if I didn’t like the new look.

Protools looks better IMHO.

Waclaw,

First, welcome to Steiny forum, as it seems that it is your first post here.

Second, mine just to say that you are not alone. Looking back at the C4 to 5.1 interface, there were :

• no useless space taken by the info bar,
  • no ‘shadowed events’ of any kind, which was undoubtly better for the eyes during a long period of use,
  • no black zone on the currently selected event, which, IMO, makes the work more difficult,
  • still audio transparent events available which was really of good use.

Since the 5.1 there have been regressions after regressions, GUI wise, and nobody asked for them. The only improvement, IMO, is the look of the faders. That’s how it is in Steiny world, sadly, and the result is that Cubase looks more and more like Sequel, which isn’t a mark of prefessionalism, despite what others said. These applications shouldn’t be aimed at the same market.

Hope that, as you, we’ll soon see changes, in the right directions, this time. But I don’t hold my breath.

I agree that the mixer view is better in ProTools, but the best project view of all is the one found in Cubase 6. You put it against the ones from any of the other DAWs and they look like Mickey Mouse in comparison, with the exception of Logic Pro 9 (which IMO had the best interface until Cubase 6). Check out the waveforms on pretty much every DAW, they look too 1999 (again, with the exception of Logic Pro). The ones in Cubase have a more modern look and the interface in general is very clean. Sure there are things to be improved, like the current window handling. But looking at how Steinberg has improved this in Halion 4 and Wavelab 7, I’m sure Cubase won’t be far behind in this regard. The mixer could use some love too.

Since the 5.1 there have been regressions after regressions, GUI wise, and nobody asked for them.

How did we know what to ask for in advance?
If they don’t take chances they’d never know what works for the user and what doesn’t. Furthermore the user has no idea in advance, what he wants anything to appear like.

So, instead of griping tell them what you would like to see.
“Nobody asked.” good point. Why didn’t they?
Because they never do. They just moan afterwards. That’s life, I guess.

New thread “GUI for C7?” and invite suggestion and discussion.
Discussion is interesting. Moaning is boring.

A lot of feature requests have already been posted here, about what we want. The forum ‘search’ function is your friend…

What have been implemented since the 5.5.x version were never been asked for : nobody asked for an oversized info bar, nobody asked for the drop of transparent audio events, and so on… Show me the threads asking for these precise ‘features’, please…

But if you want a list of what are really needed, beside these so-called ‘improvements’, here it is (a short one, actually…) :

1. a decent windows management which, at least, and as every up to date host allows, doesn’t brings you to a shrinking project window each time you use another one (without having to use a clumsy worksapce or ‘always on top’ workarounds),

2. a mixer that would allow, at least, to show on the same view inserts and sends.

These are my two main requests, and I’m not the only one : it has been asked for YEARS across several threads about them, here and on the cubase.net forum. I have to add to this now what I already listed in my previous post.

This with a decent interaction with users. I remember that it once happened about the drum editor, two or three years ago : a thread was created by Chris Beuermann, if I remember well, about improvements expected in it. I am since waiting for the same approach about anything GUI related and this would be at Steiny advantage. Just an example : they are now trying to set up a clumsy replacement of the transparent events after realizing that the drop of it was a mistake. Waste of time for everyone : users and developers.

Now, call me a ‘moaner’ if you want ; I simply don’t care…

couldn’t have said it better myself… I agree 100%!

BTW C6 looks its best IMO when you get rid of the blue and give it that grey on grey Logic look :sunglasses:

What have been implemented since the 5.5.x version were never been asked for : nobody asked for an oversized info bar, nobody asked for the drop of transparent audio events, and so on… Show me the threads asking for these precise ‘features’, please…

Show ME the threads where someone DIDN’T ask for them specifically beforehand. Did anyone say “Don’t do that!”?

This with a decent interaction with users. I remember that it once happened about the drum editor, two or three years ago : a thread was created by Chris Beuermann, if I remember well, about improvements expected in it. I am since waiting for the same approach about anything GUI related and this would be at Steiny advantage. Just an example : they are now trying to set up a clumsy replacement of the transparent events after realizing that the drop of it was a mistake. Waste of time for everyone : users and developers.

Anyone here NEVER make a mistake? Nobody asked you to put THAT track on your album?!

Discuss your problems with the GUI. It’s useless just reducing a thread response to “Nobody asked for that.” That just comes across as complaining for the sake of it. And nobody asked for that either.
Having seen the GUI you must have some idea as to how it could be better other than just mentioning someone else’s GUI, which I doubt they could copy even if it were desirable.

On these threads it would be nice for disgruntled users to have more feedback from the company though but without knowing Steinberg’s staff numbers and job distribution I presume it’s not viable somehow.

I’m sure new “features” arrive not just because of programmers designs but are also tied to changes in the functions of whatever programming languages they use and so could take several redesign stages to assess, change, keep or take out. Sadly if they do decide to change it probably won’t be very soon.

I think the Cubase 6 GUI is head and shoulders above all others, Cubase is a great looking DAW, I think the Difference between 5 and 6 is vast, and its heading in the right direction for me

I would like an alternative ‘palette’ of colours say a 32 colour palette, having more hues and tones for each colour as standard, I have tried creating my own a few times and the results have been poor :blush:

I mention this because I personally organise myself using 4-5 colours, and Id rather have variations in tones of colour within groups (eg all drums are blue, but the elements can be different blues).

I’d also like to be able to customise the arrange background tone and colour, You can only darken or lighten it

But hey these are small points for me personally they would be great tho

Cubase before: ugly beyond reason.

Cubase now: great looking to me! Finally!!! I don’t LOVE the blue look but I sure don’t hate it either.

Pro Tools looks overall a little better, but Cubase looks way better than Logic now. What’s up with the weird mixer for instance?!?!? And the instrument icons. hate.

I’m sure there’s thread about the mixer and this might have been suggested but it might be nice to have a customisable mixer or even simple presets for sections like Vocals, Drums, Brass, String etc. that you could hide or view like the Midi, Audio, Input , Output etc.
Groups in banks of 8 have been on automated hardware mixers for a while past. Could be resurrected.

I’m sure as many would find that as much a clutter as a help. Sure might be good for me but for some it could get in the way.
Thoughts? Any shoot-me-downs?

love gui, would not change it.

Do we think that Steinberg will move away from floating windows/editors

Like in Halion 4?

Halion 4, Wavelab 7, and Sequel all have docking windows now… in fact, I think Cubendo is the only Steinberg app with no option for docking windows left. I’m pretty sure that will change in Cubase 7 though.

I hope they will change that…
Take a look on S1 from Presonus… I’m trying right now and I’m in love with it! :slight_smile:

Have to admit i think the C6 GUI is the prettiest ever!.. but i’m colour blind so what do i know eh! lol

Yeah the window handling seriously needs sorting… even using workspaces it’s still way too clunky for a 21st century DAW :frowning: