Send/Return Help

All about our Cubase LE and Cubase AI OEM bundle software.
Rawker

Send/Return Help

Post by Rawker »

Hi,

I am needing some help with working out how to access and use as a send/return my outboard hardware. Currently this is how I have my set up so hopefully you can follow the routing and making sure I have it set correctly. I am using a rack mounted Compressor and EQ and of course an interface.

In my Device Audio Connections, I have the following set up:

Interface INS in Left 1 and Right 2 and OUTS in Left 1 and Right 2.

Compressor INS in Left 11 and Right 12 and OUT in Left 3 and Right 4

EQ INS in Left 9 and Right 10 and OUT in Left 5 and Right 6.

Now my first issue is; how do I create a send/return in my Cubase if I want to use the Compressor on my vocal track only and my EQ on my guitar track only? I have read the instructions but am confused as from what I know, I click on the audio event in my project and then go to add FX Channel, click in Stereo and then find the outboard effect in my Effect boxlist, but when i do this, it is not coming up nor is it listed?

And my second issue is, if I tried selecting an in-the-box effect for example reverb and it does comes up. But from here, how do I actually route it to the specific track I want?

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Re: Send/Return Help

Post by svennilenni »

Rawker wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:47 am
Hi,

I am needing some help with working out how to access and use as a send/return my outboard hardware. Currently this is how I have my set up so hopefully you can follow the routing and making sure I have it set correctly. I am using a rack mounted Compressor and EQ and of course an interface.

In my Device Audio Connections, I have the following set up:

Interface INS in Left 1 and Right 2 and OUTS in Left 1 and Right 2.

Compressor INS in Left 11 and Right 12 and OUT in Left 3 and Right 4

EQ INS in Left 9 and Right 10 and OUT in Left 5 and Right 6.

Now my first issue is; how do I create a send/return in my Cubase if I want to use the Compressor on my vocal track only and my EQ on my guitar track only? I have read the instructions but am confused as from what I know, I click on the audio event in my project and then go to add FX Channel, click in Stereo and then find the outboard effect in my Effect boxlist, but when i do this, it is not coming up nor is it listed?

And my second issue is, if I tried selecting an in-the-box effect for example reverb and it does comes up. But from here, how do I actually route it to the specific track I want?
And once again it would have been a good idea to post at least the Cubase Version... :roll:
You create a send / return by creating a bus (Fx channel, Group channel..), that has its output connected to the interface output that is connected to the external devices´ Inputs (F4), and create an Input bus, that is connected to the external devices´outputs, then create an Audio track with that Input bus as track Input.
so for the Compressor:
Send: FX channel - Output Routing to the Stereo out that is connected to out Left 3 and Right 4,
Return: Input bus ins Left 11 and Right 12 as Input for an Audio track. Audio track Needs Input monitor active to hear Signal.
And no - unless you use Cubase Pro, no outboard gear will be listed for you.
And using FX from in the box should be very well explained in the Manual IIRC

Rawker

Re: Send/Return Help

Post by Rawker »

Sorry I forgot to add the Cubase version, it is Cubase 8 AI.

Return to “Cubase LE and Cubase AI”