System Wide Horizontal Lines

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
bwjagger

System Wide Horizontal Lines

Post by bwjagger »

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to create a horizontal line with no start cap and an inward-pointing axis aligned hook at the end that will be visible in all parts. The line is being used to outline a 16 bar section of the music. I was hoping that I could do this in a similar way to creating system wide text, but I don't see a way to do this without creating a new line for each part in the score. Am I missing something (be nice ;) ) or is this not possible?

Thanks.
Brian W. Jagger, DMA
Composer, Pianist, Conductor, Teacher

Lillie Harris
Steinberg Employee

Re: System Wide Horizontal Lines

Post by Lillie Harris »

Yes you can, but you need to Alt-click the line in the panel, rather than just click it. This inputs a system-attached line that follows your per-layout settings for where system objects appear.

bwjagger

Post by bwjagger »

Wonderful! Thanks Lillie. What other objects does this entry method apply to? Also, as result of seeing this work, the line I have created ends in the middle of a multibar rest. How do I force the multibar rest to stop at a specific bar? (See attached picture)
Multibar Rest Division.png
(8.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Brian W. Jagger, DMA

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo »

From any layout that doesn’t consolidate multi bar rests (such as the score layout), switch to Engrave mode, select the relevant barline and go Engrave > Split Multi-bar Rest. This will apply in all layouts.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2019 Macbook Pro 16" 2.3gGHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM,
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

Lillie Harris
Steinberg Employee

Post by Lillie Harris »

Alt-clicking for most other notation items means inputting that item for just a single staff or voice (e.g. when inputting dynamics when the caret is active, Alt inputs them just for the voice indicated by the caret, or pressing Alt-Return when inputting a time signature with the popover inputs a time signature only for the selected staff, not all staves). If you have a particular notation in mind, check the manual for "inputting X" - if there are alternatives when inputting, they should be described.

bwjagger

Post by bwjagger »

Thanks for the help Leo and Lillie. Much appreciated.
Brian W. Jagger, DMA

Return to “Dorico”