can you not delete as opposed to reset the VST instances in PLAY?

there’s a wee thing I find a bit annoying in the VST instruments panel in PLAY. If you no longer need an instance, the manual claims you can delete it. This appears only to be the case if it’s the last entry, otherwise when you highlight and try to delete, it simply removes the instrument but not the instance holder. So you can finish up, say with VST instruments 1,3,4,5,9 as the others have been removed which looks pretty untidy. Other than obviously saving /restoring the score or endpoint config. , is there no way to really remove these unused instances when you’re experimenting with playback configurations?

Dorico won’t re-use IDs. Don’t get fixated on those numbers: it’s simply a monotonically increasing ID. There’s nothing left behind that is using additional resources or anything like that.

OK, thanks for your reassurance, Daniel

It’s still distracting on a subliminal level to see those empty containers. Even tho you may intellectually know that everything’s fine, it immediately catches your eye.

Definitely. It fidgets my OCD something chronic.

If we were to now show those empty gaps then you would have the problem that the names of the plugin windows (‘03 - Halion Sonic SE’) no longer match the entries in the rack, which is one of the reasons we kept it this way. If you want to have all the gaps closed up then just re-apply the Playback Template, and this will reassign instruments in score order.

Paul -
That is what I’ve done. Sort of an ignorant question here as I rarely tinker with anything “under the hood” when it comes to playback. If I re-apply the Playback Templates is it possible to lose anything you might have done?

Yes, any changes you have made to endpoint assignments will be lost, and any changes you’ve made in any of the VST instruments. When you reapply one of the default playback templates, all of those changes will be overwritten.

If you haven’t done any tinkering though then that usually means it’s safe to do. Think of it another way: applying a playback template is a way to get back to a ‘known good state’ where all instruments have been assigned a sound and the instruments rack has been tidied up. If you have your own preferred plugins then you can also look into creating your own playback templates to set up plugins how you like them.

the obvious problem is when you don’t have a “known good state” to revert to – it’s all too easy to get carried away when creating a new configuration to get muddled up before the stage of feeling it’s time to save an endpoint. At least knowing that an instance can’t be properly removed should ring a bell that perhaps a save should be in order before creating possibly superfluous new ones.

For me, it’s not really an issue any more as I have satisfactory playback templates to revert back to.