Things that need to be more obvious in Dorico

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
FlowerPower

Re: Things that need to be more obvious in Dorico

Post by FlowerPower »

fratveno wrote:I'm probably dense, but it's not totally clear to me what you want to achieve...
I want to move a selection of notes (or what looks like a "region" in Play mode) from one location to another.

"select the target measure"
I didn't even know it's possible to select a measure in D. I'll find that out.

"activate the caret (enter) to see the grid"
OK; and that also "selects" that measure, I guess.

"you can increase or decrease the grid resolution with alt-[ and ]) then paste"

There's no keys with "[" or "]" on my Mac keyboard (I don't think there is on any Scandinavian keyboard), but I'll reassign that function to something else.

Thanks, I'm getting closer.

FlowerPower

Post by FlowerPower »

John at Steinberg wrote: That's what backspace does - I presumed since you wanted to move some notes earlier that you therefore want to delete whatever is already there (I also presumed it was one or more rests).
There are no notes, but I see that one can select rests as a means to define a position. That's fine, but it would be great with several and simpler ways to achieve simple edits like moving some notes from A to B - especially since one cannot do it with the mouse and because the "regions" in Playmode can't (I assume?) be moved.

"By 'Enter' I mean on the main part of the keyboard - it sounds like you are using the one on the numeric keypad"
Yes, but there's no Enter on the main keyboard on Macs, at least not in this part of the world. What is the key command called that I otherwise would have gotten to by using Enter? I guess I could find it and assign it to something else?

"If you select a note or series of notes and use Alt with left/right arrow it will move them but by the length of the selection. E.g. select 3 quarter notes and it'll move them by 3 quarter notes."
Interesting, but there's no correlation between how much I want to move the notes and the length of the selection. I'm convinced there must be an easier way to do all this, but thanks for all the helpfulness!

"Go to Edit > Preferences (on PC) or Dorico > Preferences (on Mac) and at the very bottom of the General section is a tick box for 'Show playhead when stopped' - then you'll always see the green line."
Someone wrote that that option may only exist in betas, anyway - I can't find it here (on Mac).

The closest I have found so far, for moving notes, is to use Command + Left or Right arrows to move the caret by a full bar at a time. I thought for a second that the key commands for Move Left and Move Right would move the selection a user definable amount of beats, because it looked like this happened at first (but I was wrong). It moves the notes by the length of the selection and creates new bars, which explains why I several times have ended up with a very large amount of bars. (I discovered that after a while - it would be good if D. would automatically display notes at the pasted position after a paste or after that function which moves a selection for an as long amount of notes/bars as the selection has.

If I have a musical phrase, in most cases it won't make sense to move it for the length of the phrase. So I think a way to move/nudge notes by beat/bar etc would be very useful.
One can always copy and paste and then delete the original... more cumbersome, but I tried it by assigning a key to "Go To" (assume that this would take the playhead to that position) - but it seems that that key command does anything. I also assume that that assumption is wrong. :-)

pwoody6

Post by pwoody6 »

I would love to disable the number pad "Enter" key for playback. I seem to hit that key when I don't mean to. I can't find the global key command for "Enter" to disable it. Any suggestions?

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider »

Edit—Preferences—Key Commands—Play—Start or stop playback commands.
Dan Kreider
hymnworks.com
Dorico 3, Windows 10

ShikiSuen

Post by ShikiSuen »

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:50 pm
you only then get two faders to balance all of the sounds available in your instance of Kontakt in Dorico's Mixer, which would force you to do all of the mixing directly in Kontakt's UI instead, which wouldn't make much sense.
At least it responds faster than Dorico's mixer on retina macs at this moment. (Not a Windows issue.)
However, Kontakt UI looks way too small, which is something else to complaint.
// My first name is Shiki. A trilingual Chinese living in Japan.
My nationality doesn't prove anything, but I do have little issues with nuances in written English.
PRC出身の孫志貴と申します。三つ言語話せます。ここで国籍は何にも証明できませんが、英語のニュアンスには少し苦手です。
[ZOOM UAC-2] [MDR-7506] [Studio One 4.5] [Dorico Pro 3] [macOS Catalina] [Mac Pro 2013] [MacBook Pro 15" 2017]

GregS

Post by GregS »

I'm glad I skimmed through this thread a bit - I'd been using Alt-P to move the Playhead to my current editing position, and THEN hitting play. Doh!!
I'll have to study the shortcuts.
Elements 3.5, Windows

cantoryakov

Post by cantoryakov »

the Properties window needs to be more obvious in Dorico. for 20 years i have been used to the idea that Properties windows come from right clicking on something and finding Properties. also i did the Mac trick of searching the menus for the word Properties and found nothing there, either. oh, it’s the tiny caret on the status bar. Why didn’t I think of that?!

pwoody6

Post by pwoody6 »

pwoody6 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:42 pm
I would love to disable the number pad "Enter" key for playback. I seem to hit that key when I don't mean to. I can't find the global key command for "Enter" to disable it. Any suggestions?
Thank you dankreider for that. When I go to the Preferences/Key Commands I see this:
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.05.09 AM.png
(64.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I opened all the options but none of the options address the "Number Pad ENTER" key, which takes the playhead back to the beginning and starts playback. "Number Pad ENTER" shows up as a Global Command in Key Commands in the Help window, but I can't find an option for editing global commands. Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.05.09 AM.png
(64.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo »

pwoody6, it's this command. I'm not sure how it shows up on Windows (or whether you're on Windows or Mac), but on Mac this is the icon for Number Pad Enter, highlighted, and you need to use the Remove Key Command button shown below.

Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2019 Macbook Pro 16" 2.3gGHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM,
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

pianoleo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:22 pm
I'm not sure how it shows up on Windows
On Windows, it's (imaginatively) called "Num+Enter". No icons were harmed when assigning this key command :)

pwoody6

Post by pwoody6 »

Thank you very much, pianoleo. I saw the symbol but had no idea that's what it was.

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo »

Though it’s an odd-looking symbol it does seem to match the one on the physical key, at least on my keyboard.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2019 Macbook Pro 16" 2.3gGHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM,
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

Return to “Dorico”