The first project I'm attacking with WL is editing a backlog of music masterclass recordings, and I'd appreciate any tips from power users.
The recordings are a mix of distant-mic'd talk/lecture and music. The music is a lot louder than the dialog. In many cases the dialog has a *flower*-ton of reverb from the concert hall it was recorded in. I need to bring up the dialog so it can be heard, and bring the music down. I should add that the fidelity is not overly important - as long as one can hear what is being played.
My initial approach is working, but it's tedious:
- For each recording, load in a Montage with the very loud music in one track, and the dialog in the other track
- Normalize dialog to bring it up (but that's not enough), because there are loud transients that need to be smashed to allow dialog gain
- Then use a plugin chain like this: limiter->gain->gain (because one gain plugin is not enough
- Also using the Izotope RX reverb removal plugin, either after or between the gain stages.
- There should also be a cross-fade at each cut between tracks, but I haven't figured out how to do that quickly at each cut. (can I enable automated cross-fades between overlapping regions in separate montage tracks?