Featurerequest: Vol < Threshold ==> Roomtone + X-Fades

Just bumping this up for WL10. :stuck_out_tongue:

** bump **

This is still noted,… but not yet done.

Will this be implemented in WL 11?
Pleeeaaaaaaassssseee!!!

What you call the “roomone”, is an independent audio file that would be provides by you, the user. Right?

Exactly.

Hey PG, will this be implemented in WL11? :pray:

Hi!

a Montage
Will it work with a track with the “roomone” and plugin Ducker ???
just an idea in the meantime

regards S-EH

1 Like

Thank you for your idea but that doesn`t work for me.

Hey PG,

this feature is needed more than ever as many people rely on WL to produce Audiobooks.
I`d be more than happy to specify our needs.

Best,
Stanley

This is already possible since WaveLab 11

you can also do the roomtone using the ducking feature using a lane which has been improved in WL 11 too :+1:

1 Like

just to add a note on that, using the lane & ducking is the wavelab equivalent of protools’ putting the strip silenced & edited audio on top of a roomtone track,
which means you don’t have to constantly tighten roomtone all the time when going through

didn’t really work for that use case in previous versions of wavelab, but as now you can specify gaps (or not) & x fade times, it works extremely well, and I use it daily

Alex, I would be really interested how you implement this in your workflow…maybe you could supply some screenshots? :nerd_face:

For us this has to be fully automatable as we produce full lengths autobooks somtimes with 100 chapters and up to 40h playtime. It would not be feasable to manually create a montage for every chapter to do this.

yep its automated, its awesome, put all the files in, auto split (Strip silence) go have a coffee, put your roomtone in, setup your ducker tool (note the blue and green icons on tracks 1&2) and your away.

just knocked up a test file for your screenshot, with some old material

you need 2 tracks (not a track and a lane, sorry)
right mouse click on the roomtone track, “enable ducking controls” link the “source” to the voice track, go into the ducker settings, and adjust to get it right (use clip gain to get the room tone to match if it doesn’t already) and it just does it. if you work with the same studios regularly you can save the ducker preset.

we don’t split our montages into chapters, we use the CD markers to split into chapters in the montage, and generate our masters, WL is one of the few DAW’s where we can generate the masters (and proofing mp3s) in the background while working on other projects if the computer has the power.

however a 40hr would probably be split into 2, our longest 78hr one this year was split into 4, and over 4 WL editors using the same presets, system & master channel. plus everyone has to have RX and Clarity VX Pro

the only painful part really, is looping up enough roomtone if the client doesn’t record enough, but it can be put in at any point, so we can request a longer chunk if needed

Thanks to @AlexBarton for describing his workflow. It’s an exciting way of using the ducking feature of WaveLab 11 (ducking feature totally renewed compared to earlier WaveLab versions).

This being said, if you don’t want to use the montage, the new auto-split option I described earlier should fit the bill too.

Philippe

1 Like

great feature the other way, I use it on files that come into us that are already specced up that just come in for mastering that need some roomtone :ok_hand:

Hey Alex,

at this point I can`t get it to work the way I would expect it to work.
Maybe you can help me out with wisdom, screens and presets? :joy:

stripsilence1
stripsilence2
stripsilence3

This Settings result in this
![stripresult|690x235](upload://9LSV1oGSAgBOIc3O5XUjbbFM1p6.png)

This is not what we need.

The settings are correct (to replace audio ranges detected as silent, with a roomtone file). I just made a quick test to verify this.

Hence, why do you say?

This is not what we need