Why does Render in Place render ALL tracks in a folder?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
WhiteKnight

Why does Render in Place render ALL tracks in a folder?

Post by WhiteKnight »

I have only selected one event but when I render in place it bounces blank audio files for all tracks in the folder that the original event is in.

So if I have 12 tracks in a folder it will print and create 12 new audio tracks and files even if I only selected one event under that folder.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Cubase Pro 10.5

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Why does Render in Place render ALL tracks in a folder?

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

There are 2 principles of Render In Place.
1) If you have any event selected, only this event (these events) will be rendered.
2) If you have no event selected, the whole actually selected track will be rendered.

Principle 1 has heigher priority, of course.

Could you describe your current selection, please? Do you have the event selected, and on the "track level", do you have the "superior folder track" selected? Or is it different?
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

gravehill

Post by gravehill »

It does seem to be broken indeed. I haven't tried this with folders but I see it all the time with VST-instruments that have several outputs. For example, in Kontakt, if you have 16 outputs activated, you'll get 16 audio tracks even if you just select 1 event on 1 track (15 of those will be blank).

Additional issue (which is already in the database, BTW) is that it renders any muted parts as well, thus making them audible.
i9 9900k, 32 GB RAM, AsRock Taichi Ultimate MoBo, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP with Win10 64 bit and Cubase 10. http://www.chaosresearch.net

woodsdemis

Post by woodsdemis »

Has ben reported, this changed in 8.20 and no news as to wether they will change it back to a usable situation. Workaround is to render using last 2 options (rendering the sends or sends and mix ) sorry not at my rig now. That will render individual selected outputs without rendering them all, but I have found this to be buggy , sometimes rendering outputs incorrectly etc. Please SB fix this.
Mac Pro 10.12.4 Cubase 9.0.2

Steve Helstrip

Post by Steve Helstrip »

RIP certainly needs improving in this respect - it should only render the selected parts.
Hackintosh, 8700K / 4.8GHz, 16Gb, OSX10.14.4
MacBook Pro Retina (2015), i5, 8Gb, OSX10.14.4
Cubase Pro 10
Vienna Ensemble Pro 6
UAD-2 Octo, Focusrite Clarett Thunderbolt
Cubase user since 1989!

http://www.thethrillseekers.co.uk
http://www.twitter.com/stevehelstrip
http://www.facebook.com/thrillseekersofficial

tlockett

Post by tlockett »

Please FIX this ! it is now CBP 9.5 2018 and NO fix, I select 1 track and get every out put on a Multi instrument....useless

theRoyal1

Post by theRoyal1 »

tlockett wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:33 am
Please FIX this ! it is now CBP 9.5 2018 and NO fix, I select 1 track and get every out put on a Multi instrument....useless
and still happening for me.
3 Tracks from a VST rendered = 9 tracks. 3 With the audio and the other 6 with nothing.
Custom WS: i7 3930k | Corsair H100 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | 64GB Patriot Viper III DDR3 1866 | MSI BigBang XPower II | 8xSamsung EVO=12TB + 2xWD4001=8TB HDD | Enermax 1200w 80+ Platinum | CM Cosmos II
Cubits : Cubase 10.5.12b123
CMC-TP | CMC-CH | CMC-PD | CMC-AI | 2xCMC-FD | CMC-QC

Main Gear: Access Virus Ti + Virus C | Maschine Studio + Jam | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | Roland XV-5080 + JV-2080 | Goliath HD | Barefoot MicroMain27 Gen2 | Mackie HR824 | Yamaha AW4416 | MOTU MidiXT | Roland TR-8, TB-3, VT-3 | Seiki SE50UY04

Pablo1980

Post by Pablo1980 »

They will tell you that cubase has now way to know what output has data, so they have to render all of them.

I suppose that makes sense, but I think something could be done to fix that.
Film Composer - Argentina

Intel 9990k - Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390 - 64gb ram - Motu 24ao - Steinberg MR816x (2)
Windows 10.5 64bit - Cubase 10.5 Pro - Vepro 7 (two add PCs)

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

You are right. The internal instrument routing is a blackbox for Cubase.

You sent some MIDI data from Cubase to the Instrument. The instrument make some internal routing to a specific Audio Return Channel (doesn't inform Cubase). Therefore when you Render in Place, Cubase renders all Audio Return Channels of the instrument, to make sure, the signal is at one of them.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

theRoyal1

Post by theRoyal1 »

What's amazing to me is the fact that this was raised so long ago.... allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll those new features they've added and THIS is still happening...lol
Custom WS: i7 3930k | Corsair H100 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | 64GB Patriot Viper III DDR3 1866 | MSI BigBang XPower II | 8xSamsung EVO=12TB + 2xWD4001=8TB HDD | Enermax 1200w 80+ Platinum | CM Cosmos II
Cubits : Cubase 10.5.12b123
CMC-TP | CMC-CH | CMC-PD | CMC-AI | 2xCMC-FD | CMC-QC

Main Gear: Access Virus Ti + Virus C | Maschine Studio + Jam | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | Roland XV-5080 + JV-2080 | Goliath HD | Barefoot MicroMain27 Gen2 | Mackie HR824 | Yamaha AW4416 | MOTU MidiXT | Roland TR-8, TB-3, VT-3 | Seiki SE50UY04

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,
theRoyal1 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:23 am
What's amazing to me is the fact that this was raised so long ago.... allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll those new features they've added and THIS is still happening...lol
I'm just wondering, if you have any technical solution for this. I have only a manual one. So the user would need to setup manually, what Audio Return Channel has been used for this MIDI track in the plug-in. Don't forget, you could route it to multiple outputs in the plug-in.

Don't forget, please, the plug-in is a black-box for Cubase from this point of view. Even if Steinberg would improve/update its VST standard to get this information from the plug-in, only very few developers would follow. You can see how little developers is using VST3 today (lots of developers are still using VST2). And VST3 is on the market for quite some time, already. So this wouldn't help neither.

So, I'm just wondering, if you would have any idea...
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

Return to “General”