Render in Place on a mono channel renders as a stereo channe

I can’t believe this is such a fiddly thing to have to keep solving, surely a nice check button would have done it.

Anyway, I kept getting it to work then finding it did not work when I tried again on a new project. Finally I realised what my confusion was. the word “bus” can mean a group OR the actual audio output bus. I think this is why it is working for some and not for others. It wasn’t working for me and which kind of bus to create was the issue. (I am on Cubase 9.5 btw) This requires an output bus, not a track bus.

solution:

1. Create a mono output bus in the Audio Connections/Outputs section (i.e. the place you currently have Stereo Output to your hardware and NOT in the mixer or arrangement window) I call mine Render2Mono

2 Then in Direct Routing of the track to RIP , change that from stereo output to the Render2Mono output just created

1. Choose RIP and use the Complete Signal Path and it should work. (this will use the inserts so I bypass those first but that is my preference)

hope this helps someone else who was getting confused by the “Bus” terminology not being a track bus, but an output bus