Generic Remote and Mackie Control Simultaneously

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
ianjturner

Generic Remote and Mackie Control Simultaneously

Post by ianjturner »

Hi

I have another question related to my experimenting with the X-Touch Compact and Cubase 10. I'm wondering if using this (or any) controller as a Mackie Control device and then switching the unit to Generic Remote (without deselecting the device from Mackie Control) is problematic in Cubase. I ask because that's what I'm currently trying to do.

I have the X-TC set up and working as a Mackie Control device - and I have also progammed a Generic Remote for it, which is also working exactly as it should. The trouble arises when I switch the X-TC from MC mode to Standard mode. I have discovered that all of the buttons on the X-TC will then send unwanted commands to Cubase, in addition to those programmed in my Generic Remote. So one button will start Cubase recording, others will zoom in and out. The only way I can stop this happening is if I go to the Studio Setup > Mackie Control dialogue in Cubase and deselect the X-TC.

This, obviously, significantly reduces the hands-on functionality of the X-TC. If I could use it in MC mode and then switch seamlessly to Standard mode (Generic Remote), it would be really flexible - but having to open up the Studio Setup dialogue to deselct Mackie Control mode each time is a serious fly in the ointment. I don't know if it's an issue with the X-Touch Compact, with Windows 10, with some driver conflict from another piece of hardware or if there's something I can do in Cubase. It's a strange one, for sure.

ianjturner

Re: Generic Remote and Mackie Control Simultaneously

Post by ianjturner »

Even though I'm just shouting into the vacuum here, with my odd problems - I thought I'd post to say how I fixed this one. :)

I wondered if Mackie Mode was using midi channel one. So a conflict might be being caused by having the Standard Mode midi messages from the X-TC going to the Generic Remote also on midi channel one. The User Channel was set to midi channel two, so (using the X-Touch Editor app) I set all the buttons on the X-TC to midi channel 3. All of a sudden the odd commands were gone. Perhaps this is not really a problem, but maybe someone else will benefit. I have a habit of coming at these things sideways, and sometimes missing the bleedin' obvious!

Anyway, all this means you can use the X-Touch Compact in Cubase with MC mode controlling basic mix and pan (with some slightly convoluted access to eq, send and fx plugin parameters) and then at the touch of a button, you can access two discreet layers of custom midi control each with nine faders, sixteen push encoders and thirty nine buttons. Which is nice.

Return to “General”