Why no perfect 5th in Chord track?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
beerbong

Why no perfect 5th in Chord track?

Post by beerbong »

May seem like simple idea but why no 5th in chord track? What did I miss or is there a work-around?
BB - Intel Quad/RME/Nvidia Video, RME Raydat, Win10 Home
Cubase 8.5 64 bit / Cubase 9.5 / Wavelab Elements / Halion 6 / Padshop Pro

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Why no perfect 5th in Chord track?

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

You can make your own preset(s) by "Learn from MIDI". You can jak 5th, 4th... What ever you need to.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

beerbong

Post by beerbong »

nice one. thanks +1

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Martin.Jirsak wrote:Hi,

You can make your own preset(s) by "Learn from MIDI". You can jak 5th, 4th... What ever you need to.
Martin, could you elaborate on this a bit. I can't find a "learn from midi" function.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

vic_france
Grand Senior Member

Post by vic_france »

raino wrote:

Martin, could you elaborate on this a bit. I can't find a "learn from midi" function.
(apologies if I am "stepping in".. but seeing as how I was here anyways ;) )..
Insert a Chord event into the Chord Track (it will appear as an "X")
Double-click on it, to open the Chord Editor.
Activate the button to the left of the words "MIDI Input" (pretty much hidden until you hover over it ;) ), at the bottom-left of the Chord Editor window.
Play your chord ;).
BUT: you have to play at least three notes, in order for a chord to be recognised.
So.. I am now wondering what the original poster is actually asking.. do you mean an "open" chord, with just the root and the 5th?.. if so, not possible, I'm afraid (there has to be a 3rd note).

As regards "customizing" chords in Preferences>Event Display>Chords, I'm pretty sure you can't create chords that aren't already in Cubase's library.. it is just for the way those chords are displayed.
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 9.5.0| Logic Pro X 10.2.2| ProTools 11.3.1| Ableton Live 9.7.5| Reaper 562 | Studio One Pro 3.5.1

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

vic_france wrote: BUT: you have to play at least three notes, in order for a chord to be recognised.
Hmmm... You are right.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

BaseCu

Post by BaseCu »

This is reasonable given that the simultaneous sounding of two notes -- like a perfect fifth -- is an 'interval,' not a chord.
Studio One, Reaper, Sonar, Cubase | Win10 | i7 8750H/16 GB | RME Fireface UCX

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

The "chord" "No 3rd" has been requested a few times if I remember rightly.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

ggc

Post by ggc »

SteveInChicago wrote:The "chord" "No 3rd" has been requested a few times if I remember rightly.
The "DIY" or "Custom" chord too...:p

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

vic_france wrote:
raino wrote:

(apologies if I am "stepping in".. but seeing as how I was here anyways ;) )..
Insert a Chord event into the Chord Track (it will appear as an "X")
Double-click on it, to open the Chord Editor.
Activate the button to the left of the words "MIDI Input" (pretty much hidden until you hover over it ;) ), at the bottom-left of the Chord Editor window.
Play your chord ;).
BUT: you have to play at least three notes, in order for a chord to be recognised.
So.. I am now wondering what the original poster is actually asking.. do you mean an "open" chord, with just the root and the 5th?.. if so, not possible, I'm afraid (there has to be a 3rd note).

As regards "customizing" chords in Preferences>Event Display>Chords, I'm pretty sure you can't create chords that aren't already in Cubase's library.. it is just for the way those chords are displayed.
Ah, thanks Vic et al. It sounded like they might have slipped in the capability for user defined chords and I hadn't noticed.

I'll return to my normal state of lowered expectations now.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

BaseCu wrote:This is reasonable given that the simultaneous sounding of two notes -- like a perfect fifth -- is an 'interval,' not a chord.
Unless you play electric guitar, in which case it's the mother of all chords. :P
rodger

BaseCu

Post by BaseCu »

raino wrote:
BaseCu wrote:This is reasonable given that the simultaneous sounding of two notes -- like a perfect fifth -- is an 'interval,' not a chord.
Unless you play electric guitar, in which case it's the mother of all chords. :P
How true!
Studio One, Reaper, Sonar, Cubase | Win10 | i7 8750H/16 GB | RME Fireface UCX

silhouette

Post by silhouette »

I create the perfect fifth by copying the melody line in the key editor window - transposing by 7 and with the cursor at the beginning of the part Ctrl+v to paste the original part.

However I am sure you know this and of course is only of relevance if you want to create a fifth or an octave.
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 10 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 10.5 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 12 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335x2,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette x 3 - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp -https://soundcloud.com/silhouette-17

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

silhouette wrote:I create the perfect fifth by copying the melody line in the key editor window - transposing by 7 and with the cursor at the beginning of the part Ctrl+v to paste the original part.

However I am sure you know this and of course is only of relevance if you want to create a fifth or an octave.
You could create a logical preset to do this and assign it a Key Command. Of course this gives you the 5th in the MIDI Part but not on the Chord Track, which is where the OP really wants it.
rodger

beerbong

Post by beerbong »

Ah, yes... It's not a chord it's a interval / no 3rd. And yes as a guitar player I really write lots of music which the chord is says E5 or A5 (for example). Even though just two notes isn't technically a chord, this would work well in Cubase Chord track. If adapted it could make use of Cubase voicing features to add this pleasing and common writing shape to the palette.

misnoma

Post by misnoma »

I remember a Frank Zappa interview somewhere where he said two-note, fifth "chords" were good because they leave a lot of harmonic possibilities open ... or something like that. as you know, writing about music is like something or other.

But yeah, it's a shame you can't specify a 5th chord in the chord track. I find the voicing options of the chord track restricting too, and there's no control of register without adding a transpose insert, right?
Cubase Pro 10.5, Dorico 3, Windows10, MacOS10.15. RME 9632.

misnoma

Post by misnoma »

bump
Cubase Pro 10.5, Dorico 3, Windows10, MacOS10.15. RME 9632.

GuitboxGeek

Post by GuitboxGeek »

We're at version 10 now, and still no way to add these "special" 5th chords to the chord track?

smartinuf

Post by smartinuf »

Adding the ability to make a "custom" chord voicing that does not have to conform to someones idea of what is musical whether it is technically correct or not would go a long way
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 Ghz (early 2008), 10.10.5, 12 gig RAM, RME Digiface, UAD2, Macbook Pro (Late 2008) Fireface 800, Cubase 8.0.35, 8.5.1, Wavelab 8.5.3, Wavelab Elements 8

Guitarfish

Post by Guitarfish »

I've only just got into using chord tracks and thought I must be missing something obvious when I couldn't find the power chords.

Came here looking for answers but found only disappointment :(
i7 2600, 8Gb, 3 disk drives: Dual boot OS, Samples, Audio
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid interface
Cubase Studio 5, Reason 2.5, Komplete6

Return to “General”