Just did that. No change

dr

Re: LAN connection not detected by Connect Performer

Post by dr »

....let's see how we get on tomorrow :)

musicullum

Post by musicullum »

You will not see messages on the VST Connect ports other than broadcast packets (255.255.255.255) before a local connection is established.
Opening those other ports is still ok and may help to establish a true peer-to-peer connection, but it does work without as well in general so there is no need for that anymore.
musi

alanharvey

Post by alanharvey »

musicullum wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:15 pm
You will not see messages on the VST Connect ports other than broadcast packets (255.255.255.255) before a local connection is established.
Opening those other ports is still ok and may help to establish a true peer-to-peer connection, but it does work without as well in general so there is no need for that anymore.
Thanks. Can you tell me what I should expect to see from which ports on the initiating machine and what the response should be and from which port?

musicullum

Post by musicullum »

broadcasts are 51117. The other port used internally is 51113
musi

alanharvey

Post by alanharvey »

musicullum wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:45 am
broadcasts are 51117. The other port used internally is 51113
Thanks. I’ll get on it.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

alanharvey, don't know if this will be of interest, but it might rule something out, or trigger a new thought...

viewtopic.php?p=982837#p982837
-steve- wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:11 pm
One more note, you can actually run both on the same computer to test the LAN connectivity button for VST Connect Pro/Performer

Same test sequence as above, just run both Cubase Pro and VST Connect Performer on the same machine, and mute all speaker and headphones, and use different asio devices, for each, eg, one on your main adudio device and the other on Generic ASIO, or asio4all, or even not connected (though I did not test that last one.)
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

alanharvey

Post by alanharvey »

-steve- wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:32 pm
alanharvey, don't know if this will be of interest, but it might rule something out, or trigger a new thought...

viewtopic.php?p=982837#p982837
-steve- wrote:
One more note, you can actually run both on the same computer to test the LAN connectivity button for VST Connect Pro/Performer

Same test sequence as above, just run both Cubase Pro and VST Connect Performer on the same machine, and mute all speaker and headphones, and use different asio devices, for each, eg, one on your main adudio device and the other on Generic ASIO, or asio4all, or even not connected (though I did not test that last one.)
Thanks for this Steve,
I'm going to try running both on the same machine tomorrow for sure. Today I've monitored both my Connect and Performer machines using Wireshark on them when hard wire connected to my LAN. There is no activity on ports in the range 51111 to 51117 when sitting on the same LAN and otherwise able to communicate with each other. The correct firewall rules are in place but I did try disabling the firewalls to no effect.

When running a test with dr the other day over the internet I did see activity on those ports but stupidly didn't save the trace file.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

You mean you and dr connected successfully, and everything worked?
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

roel

Post by roel »

maybe a clear definition of what is being called a LAN should be informative.
I've been in contact with steve and i am up and running with my buddy, so no problems for me.
But i ran in to the same problems before that.

A typical case would look as followed:

guy has a main computer and buddies (guitar vocals with their laptops) who have no idea of how to use the internet and connections.
They put their machines physically to the main site and say: do your thing.
The issue that they maybe are running in, as i was, is the fact that LAN is not clearly defined and is not connecting.
(note: Once set up and everyone back home everything is running fine.)

That being said, i never found out how to make a working LAN connection since the software said time after time: connection not allowed on the same network. (connecting locally with the numerical access, wireless)

So to find a solution maybe a more clear definition of a LAN, and how it is used successfully, is needed.
Should we crosscable pc's, can we use a router, can we use a wireless LAN (certaintly does not work) and so on.
Cubase 10.5, vienna ensemble pro 5,
Master:laptop Clevo, P771zm, i7 4790S, 16 gig, 2xSSD samsung 840pro/evo, 2x Samsung SSD850 +touch screen
Slave: none, will probably never be replaced because latest processors are powerfull enough
Sound: Motu Ultralite MKIII (usb), Focusrite 18i20, behringer 16 ch mixer
control: Synergy, novation zero SL
vsti: Steinberg, East West, Vienna, Native Instruments, Spectrasonics and a lot of others
hardware: S760, CD3000xl, SY77, studiologic 990, alesis Q88,

dr

Post by dr »

roel wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:33 am
maybe a clear definition of what is being called a LAN should be informative.
I've been in contact with steve and i am up and running with my buddy, so no problems for me.
But i ran in to the same problems before that.

A typical case would look as followed:

guy has a main computer and buddies (guitar vocals with their laptops) who have no idea of how to use the internet and connections.
They put their machines physically to the main site and say: do your thing.
The issue that they maybe are running in, as i was, is the fact that LAN is not clearly defined and is not connecting.
(note: Once set up and everyone back home everything is running fine.)

That being said, i never found out how to make a working LAN connection since the software said time after time: connection not allowed on the same network. (connecting locally with the numerical access, wireless)

So to find a solution maybe a more clear definition of a LAN, and how it is used successfully, is needed.
Should we crosscable pc's, can we use a router, can we use a wireless LAN (certaintly does not work) and so on.
you need (and additional) PRO licence to make LAN connections work - it doesn't work with the SE licence thq comes with cubase.

dr

Post by dr »

-steve- wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:07 pm
just to answer on behalf of alan ( :) ) - we connected and it worked but there were the usual (!) sync problems. In fact the buffer just emptied itself over a few seconds then audio contact was lost. Interestingly the video didn't drop - we were still connected just fine.

internet "quality" issues I suppose :roll: Plenty of bandwidth - low latency etc etc
viewtopic.php?f=221&t=185559&p=982325#p982325
Last edited by dr on Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musicullum

Post by musicullum »

working on sync improvements
musi

alanharvey

Post by alanharvey »

-steve- wrote:

I tried this and it worked! LAN light came on. Connected, recorded, perfect sync 100%. So could the Windows firewall be the problem, even when it’s disabled? Any other ideas?

musicullum

Post by musicullum »

dr wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:38 am
-steve- wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:07 pm
just to answer on behalf of alan ( :) ) - we connected and it worked but there were the usual (!) sync problems. In fact the buffer just emptied itself over a few seconds then audio contact was lost. Interestingly the video didn't drop - we were still connected just fine.

internet "quality" issues I suppose :roll: Plenty of bandwidth - low latency etc etc
viewtopic.php?f=221&t=185559&p=982325#p982325
So many threads...missed that one, replied there
musi

dr

Post by dr »

FWIW - now I can't connect over the LAN ......oh the irony :)

was working on earlier versions - can't connect with a mac or win10 performer. They can see the studio PC but can't connect - "connection error: local connection failed" - leaves the performer app in a slightly unstable state.

musicullum

Post by musicullum »

"They can see the studio PC" - how do you determine that? Is the blue LAN button lit?
musi

dr

Post by dr »

musicullum wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:24 pm
"They can see the studio PC" - how do you determine that? Is the blue LAN button lit?
yes - and it shows the correct IP as usual - just doesn't connect - gives an error as described

also randomly gave another "incompatible version" error - they are all on 4.0.42.240 - then it wrote that on the bottom of the screen where it normally says "connected to Musi"

attempting to connect on a Mac client (4.0.42.240) over the LAN didn't work either - fell over rather spectacularly with a crash on the performer side (and a dump - which I didn't save !)

was all working fine last time I tried - a few versions ago.

dr

Post by dr »

also - still getting useful work done - another (mainly) positive session earlier

musicullum

Post by musicullum »

dr wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:48 pm
musicullum wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:24 pm
yes - and it shows the correct IP as usual - just doesn't connect - gives an error as described

also randomly gave another "incompatible version" error - they are all on 4.0.42.240 - then it wrote that on the bottom of the screen where it normally says "connected to Musi"

attempting to connect on a Mac client (4.0.42.240) over the LAN didn't work either - fell over rather spectacularly with a crash on the performer side (and a dump - which I didn't save !)

was all working fine last time I tried - a few versions ago.
Confusing. We definately didn't change any of the local connect stuff as it worked fine (and still does over here with all our tests). What's weird is that it shows the address. If it crashes again pls save the report, thanks.
musi

dr

Post by dr »

I'll see if I can get a crash log tomorrow

dr

Post by dr »

dr wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:08 pm
I'll see if I can get a crash log tomorrow
sent

alanharvey

Post by alanharvey »

SOLVED!!!
The machine running VST Connect had several network connections enabled, including VirtualBox and VMware adapters. I disabled all the adapters except the active one connecting to my network. The Lan indicator on the 'remote' machine running Performer immediately illuminated and I was able to connect.

I am guessing that the UDP broadcasts were being sent on an unused network which explains why I couldn't see them on Wireshark. The clue came from a google search on 'Win 10 UDP braodcast'.

It has taken me weeks and much hair pulling to find this so I hope it helps somebody else.

Now to get on with the testing and learn how to use the system!

Alan

dr

Post by dr »

good detective work :)

musicullum

Post by musicullum »

Absolutely! Thanks for finding this. VST Connect grabs hold of the first available adapter, which is the 'right' one in 99% of all cases. Sorry for you to have to find out the hard way, and kudos for solving it.
musi

Return to “VST Connect”