pencil in waveform edit mode suddenly responds as range selection tool?

Hi,

I’m running Cubase 8.0.40 . Until 5 mins ago, i was able to redraw waveform cycles in the waveform editor using the pencil tool. From one moment to the next, the pencil tool stopped drawing and instead it does the exact same thing as the range selection tool (marking a selected area blue). Did i accidentally hit something to change this behaviour? I restarted Cubase and problem persists. Same thing with different audio clips.

I hope someone knows how to fix this :slight_smile:

It’s on the right hand side of the screen? One of the many quirks!

not only on the right hand side of the screen, i’m not sure what you mean by that actually?

it’s wherever i click and drag with the pencil over the waveform: the pencil vanishes as i click, there is no icon anymore as the mouse knob is depressed and as i drag the area becomes blue. Basically the exact same behaviour as if i’m using the range selection tool.

I just had another try after restart, same behaviour still. and cubase crashed on me this time too as i was trying to draw. I will paste the crash log here:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Cubase8.exe
Application Version: 8.0.40.623
Application Timestamp: 56f3ab73
Fault Module Name: StackHash_df60
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.23796
Fault Module Timestamp: 590296ce
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 00000000000bf3e2
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2067
Additional Information 1: df60
Additional Information 2: df60e37fc36a54aaf9b90574def16425
Additional Information 3: 9a87
Additional Information 4: 9a870720b44b3da9e032bc4f15b629fd

next day, restarted the system. now i realize that i can redraw other audio files on a different audio track (those files were recorded and handled in the exact same way as the audio i can’t redraw). I made a new audio track and moved the audio clips onto there to see if the problem is tied to the track itself, but the issue persists.

Next stop customer service i guess…

i think i figured this out, in case anyone runs into the same problem.

Cubase just gets glitchy with larger sessions. This session has about 30 hours of audio clips, recorded consecutively onto the same track. I noticed that the audio clips in the beginning of the arrangement page weren’t giving me any problems. So i moved all of the audio clips that i still have to edit to the beginning of the arrangement timeline, and problem is now solved.

Not gonna lie, this one had me scratching my head for a few hours… one of those awkward things that i would never expect to happen :confused:

Spanks, Steinberg !!

Weird, good news though.