New PC vs next gen consoles!!!

I find myself at a rather interesting crossroads and I thought it might generate an interesting discussion. For context I am PC gamer mainly but I have a Switch for those sweet sweet first party titles.

I have a rather old PC; about 6 years old with a GTX 980 and an Intel 4770K. With the announcement of the new 3000 series cards I decided pretty quickly I was going to get a 3080 for use on my 1440p 144Hz monitor. However, the more I stopped to thick about it, the more I actually started to really consider the next gen consoles. With how old my PC is and the power draw on the 3080, I basically have to rebuild my PC minus the hard drives and case. This new build I was looking at was looking like it was going to cost about $2000 in my country vs. the now announced price for the Series X which I suspect will be $700 in my country (lets assume the same for PS5).

Considering the power of these new consoles pre-hardware optimisation is better than a 2080 Super, it isn’t crazy to think that hardware specific optimisation will allow it to perform somewhere in the ballpark of a 2080 Ti, or equivalently, a 3070. So for an extra $1300 I am upgrading from a 3070 to a 3080 in terms of performance. I can play both on my 1400p 144Hz monitor, and while the 3080 will definitively perform better, I would still reasonably expect a next gen console to to 1440p 100fps on new AAA games.