Using 4K TV as a monitor

I have just started using a 55" LG 4K TV instead of my 2 x 23" HD Samsung monitors. I love everything about it, especially the massive increase in real estate, and I’m getting used to looking up a lot! But my mouse, a Microsoft 3000 wired 1000dpi jobby, is difficult to control with any accuracy. The best setting is the fastest one and it gets across the screen quickly, but trying to click on specific spots is tricky. The first attempt often overshoots. Do I just have to get used to it or is there a fix anyone knows about? Many thanks.

I presume that you use 4K resolution on your screen. I use two 43" screens at 4K resolution and have had no problems whatsoever with the mouse. I have a Logitech mouse with the speed halfway between slow and fast. I cannot recall being forced to do any changes to the mouse configuration when I upgraded to 4K, it just worked as I’m used to.

I have no problems clicking on specific spots on my 43" screens and on a 55" it should be even easier. Having a mouse that doesn’t do what you expect it to do definitely isn’t something you “have to get used to” :-/

At some point I had a driver installed that offered a setting for “accelerated mouse” (or something like that) and that was something that gave me a situation like the one you describe and I never got used to it so I disabled that setting. Now I’m on a new computer and have not installed any Logitech mouse driver, I use the default Windows mouse driver.

I don’t know if you have any specific driver installed for that mouse and if so - what settings you have available. If you have a specific driver you could try to uninstall it (at least temporary) and see if the situation changes.

Does your laptop have a discrete GPU?
If you’re using CPU integrated graphics and connecting 4k screen via HDMI, then you’re limited to 30Hz(or 24Hz).

Thanks for your reply. I adjusted the resolution to suit the new display so assume it is running at 4K. Otherwise the text etc would look too large. I’ve tried disabling the driver, re-installing etc.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.
I’m on a high spec desktop and graphics card. Intel Core i9 10900K, 64GB, ASUS PRIME Z490-A, Gigabyte GTX1650 4GB

I don’t think screen resolution has something to do with it, but anyhow: I use 3840x2160 (4K) with a text scaling of 150%

You don’t have another mouse, just to test and see if it is a mouse issue?

But have you checked what refresh rate you have? I run my 4K screen at 60hz and had no problem with the mouse. We had a 4K tv at work which was only 30hz and the mouse was difficult to control. Motion is not as good on a low refresh rate.

Thanks for your reply. My resolution is the same as yours but at 100%. The screen is 55" so it looks as good as about 4 x 27" displays racked together.
I think I’ve found the solution and will post it shortly.
Cheers!

Hi, Thanks for your reply.
I tried adjusting the TV settings and came across a spec on the LG website saying that the TV has a refresh rate of 50Hz. I checked the Windows display settings and it was showing as 30Hz. I tried setting it at 60Hz but got a much enlarged and distorted screen all in pink! However, I’m in the UK so think 50Hz is standard here. I changed it to 50Hz and got back to where I was before but with the taskbar disappearing.
I then right clicked on my desktop and got the NVidea display settings for my graphics card. I set that to 50Hz and bingo! Task bar visible again.
Now the mouse works better! So yes, the refresh rate was the main culprit.
Thanks for your help!

Is this the latest technology in making a Samsung TV?
تشریفات

That’s good to hear. I have just put my old computer onto a big hd tv and had to use the Nvidia settings to reduce the size as I lost the bottom and sides. Something to do with overscan.

I had a multi-colour text problem with my TCL 4K TVs after setting the video out to 60Hz, until I changed their HTML 2.0 setting from Auto to On, forcing them to use the 60Hz provided.

I am in Australia, and we also use PAL at 50Hz. However, after forcing HTML 2.0 at 60Hz all round, it is all perfect.

As for the mouse, I have two 49" 4K monitors, so I have set the mouse to the 7th setting out of the 11 available, but also checked the Enhance pointer precision box, which dynamically increases the DPI the faster you move the mouse, so slowing down near the target control makes it go slower.

I also made the mouse pointer much larger, and with a yellow fill (available in later Win 10) so that I can more easily see it among the pixel expanse. I also checked the Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key so that I can find it quickly.

Alternatively, one can check the Display pointer trails to highlight where the pointer is, although I find it a bit of a clutter.

What was awkward about the 4K TV was getting the speakers right.

It forced the stereo monitors to be far apart, but that made it easier to set the stereo balance of each track.

It was the subwoofer that was the most problem. I used to have it on the floor, but it sounded muddy and was harder to properly balance it with the stereo pair.

Once I mounted it above the 4K TV, so it was basically at the same distance from my ears as the stereo pair (forced by the TVs height), the sound became rock solid and it was much easier to set it at the right level. I mounted on the same frame that held the VESA mount for the TV and the arms that held the other speakers, but with neoprene isolation under it so that it didn’t vibrate the TV and the desk.

Studio desk setup, with main 55" 4K Samsung curved TV, 2 x Dell 23.5" touchscreens, triangular 2.1 speaker layout, and Cubase windows on all monitors:

The brightness is turned up so that the speakers can be seen more clearly.

I’m using a 55" 4k Samsung and 2x29" Ultrawide monitors. It can sound crazy but what worked for me was a gaming mouse with those macro buttons, I bought a Roccat one and I keep changing DPI all the time only depending of “what level of precision in clicking” I need.

The integrated circuits:https://www.jotrin.com/product/category/ICs in 4K TVs are very complex and require higher performance. Does anyone know? Can be briefly introduced.