Group selected tracks

I want to group tracks quickly. Would be nice to just select tracks, and and use command “Send selected tracks to Group”, which would create group channel somewhere near selected tracks and do all the routing automatically.

+1

Thats a great idea! I can imagine tech reasons why the Group track might need to be created first but, if you had to do that, once it was created, being able to just select all of the tracks you want to route to it (ctrl+left click) and drag and drop them onto the new group track would be almost as easy.

Definitely a +1 on this idea.

+1

big time saver.

Good idea, but would it work with both VST outputs and instrument tracks and audio interchangeably?

hmmm…yeah i could see vst outputs being a problem…bout time they brought us the multi-out instrument tracks…

I thought there was already a way to do this. . . . if the group track exists?

Set the output for multiple selected tracks at once? Like control click or something?

It is time (I am all for multi-inst VST tracks) but logically it is the MIDI side that would need to be fixed first, since even for stereo out one cannot use lanes for example to feed mult-timbral instrument tracks.

In other words, the convenience factor is far from what it could be notwithstanding midi alone.

Unless of course our Steinberg friends can do it all at once which I believe they can but as a user the priority must be on audio generally, regardless of how it is rendered and/or generated.

I thought there was already a way to do this. . . . if the group track exists?

Set the output for multiple selected tracks at once? Like control click or something

You’re right…select multiple tracks & use shift/alt. Set the output routing for any one of them & all of them are set the same. Quick grouping done!

It was an undocumented new feature.

I forgot how many times I have asked this feature.
I’m sure Steinberg will give us this and other good news.

+1

I forgot how many times I have asked this feature.
I’m sure Steinberg will give us this and other good news.

Well I wouldn’t be so sure as they already provided the ability to route all selected tracks to a group (as I just described)
I would guess that therefore the priority of doing this plus creating the group is not going to be the highest priority…it’s only a single right click/select difference to the method requested to create the group first now the routing can all be done in one go.

Thanks for this! I learn something new every day…now if i could just remember my name, where I live and what I was just doing??? :wink:

But selecting the tracks and assigning them to not made group channel yet would be great. So you select the tracks and make a group in a fly like with folder tracks now.

-Select Tracks
-Assign to new group
-Decide for stereo or mono
-The new group is placed near the selected tracks

This IS my dream for long time - :slight_smile:

1 Like

There have been many moves towards this kind of “less clicking” workflow as of late, eg setting up of tracks so these are good ideas.

It’s been said many times though to have Track Presets for things like groups, as well as a super preset format to encompass the rack; would be the ultimate cool but I guess only so much can be done at any one time and we best simply put forward our views so they can be read (and moved) to the lounge :wink:

+1

-Select Tracks
-Assign to new group
-Decide for stereo or mono
-The new group is placed near the selected tracks

This IS my dream for long time -

I dream of winning the lottery…& I’m still not sure which of us has the more chance of our dream coming true :mrgreen:

damnnn, I’d kill for it. Good to see I’m not alone. Anyone knows if dreams came true with C8 PRO release?

Wow. A Blast from the Past!

This feature is in CB7.

Select Tracks.
Right Click - Select "New Group Track for Selected Tracks - done.

Also for Effects Tracks, Folders.
Check it out.

Hugh

haha. I knew I must have missed something…Thanks Hugh :smiley:
It’s because of the way I work, I spend much more time in arrangement view than mixer window.
It would be awesome to see it there one day. Anyway, still a good news…