Antsy for Eight - System Backup, Prep & First Impressions

For anyone reading this for info on the Icydock 6-way 2.5" drive bay, while mine worked fine for several years, in the last year it has been getting flaky.

I bought it so that I could dual-boot Windows, with one SSD for the general boot, and another for the DAW boot, with another 4 SSDs for data, projects and samples. When I needed to boot the other drive, I would unlock the current one.

Eventually, the 2 OS boots would not boot reliably about half the time, so I pulled out the dock and connected them direct, and all have since worked absolutely reliably.

I recently bought a US$13 6-way SATA power switch bay, which has an individual switch for each drive’s power cable. It works reliably without having to pop drives out, so much less risk of dust settling on drive data and power connector contacts, possibly fouling up connections. It also means I can turn off drives I don’t need to have powered up, like for the project and samples drive most of the time.

I have a feeling that the Icydock drive bays might not have been fully engaging the drives to its internal connectors in the locked position, possibly making them more susceptible to dust breaking contacts.