[music] Tomorrow Never Knows

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Lenny Lee

Re: [music] Tomorrow Never Knows

Post by Lenny Lee »

bluebob wrote:theres alot of attention to this production. the vocal lines that add doubling for more presence to the overall vocal mix, subtle movement in the filter of the synth, the guitar is with the music but still maintains its own world, even note wise at times, theres watery ambience and atmosphere that wrap the tune. a pleasure to listen to such an original influence to a great song
well done!
Thank you, Bob, for your attentive listens and your kind words. It's much appreciated.
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Box o' Chocolates at CDBaby

Sherz

Post by Sherz »

Lenny Lee wrote:
Sherz wrote:Nice! I like this fresh new spin on this classic tune... in fact, while I know it's almost sacreligious to suggest a cover could better than a Beatles original... well, I for one certainly think this 21st century version gives the original a run for it's money.
I appreciate the praise, Ian, but please, don't be comparing me favorably with the Beatles. I am -not- worthy! :lol:
Well, I haven't of course forgotten who wrote the song in the first place ;)
| Cubase 10.0.5 Pro (64bit) | Windows 10 | M-Audio Fastrack C600 | 3.4Ghz Intel i5 | 8Gb |
--- M Y M U S I C ---

philter

Post by philter »

Splendid. I'm sure it'd meet with JL's approval too 8-)
Cheers
Phil
Gather thee Minimal Cheese @ yonder shoppe: www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter

Lenny Lee

Post by Lenny Lee »

philter wrote:Splendid. I'm sure it'd meet with JL's approval too 8-)
Cheers
Phil
Thanks, Phil.
J who? :)
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Karl

Post by Karl »

Wow Lenny...brilliant! I love the Beatles, love this track and you did an incredible re-make of it! Really superb!

Karl
Studio system-i5 750, Intel X25 SSD, 3 Raid 0 arrays (2 for streaming sample players, 1 for projects), 16 gig ram, Win7 Pro 64 bit, RME Multiface and Digiface, Cubase 4.5 and C6, NI Komplete 7, Omnisphere, Trillian, EWQL Symphonic Gold/Colosuss, BFD 2, Jamstix, Waves mercury pack, lots of mic's....yada yada yada.... see my equipment list at...

Reference Point Recording Equipment List

Reference Point Recording

Lenny Lee

Post by Lenny Lee »

Karl wrote:Wow Lenny...brilliant! I love the Beatles, love this track and you did an incredible re-make of it! Really superb!

Karl
Thank you, kindly, Karl! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil »

As this is one of my all time favorite Beatles songs I had to give it a listen. It's pretty darn good. Personally I think it took a hair too long to get rolling, but that's such a silly nit pick and preference based thing, it doesn't really matter.

What's funny is that I usually hate covers, but I've heard this song covered many, many times and they are usually good. I wonder what it is about this song that makes it "coverable"
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

Puma0382

Post by Puma0382 »

Have to agree with most every other post here Lenny - great version; nice vibe, nice journey/energy - strong 'rock' slant. The vocals are awesome mate...

I am also envious of how you've executed the fantastic mix - in my efforts, I can never seem to get that lovely swirling, floating, yet powerful sound, with everything coming in and out of focus seemingly with ease - all the time leaving room for that vocal to work. All the sounds are nicely 'back' (away..?) from the speakers in their own space and as a whole; my mixes..? Well, everything always sounds too forward - you know, right at the speakers... Yeah, I use reverbs and delays - but then it all just starts sounding like mush and in order to get some focus, I pull out the verb density and well, I'm back to square one... :?

Anyhow, I just wanted to say, really enjoyed this - great job..! :)

Bob
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.5.20, WaveLab Pro v10.0.40, Studio One v4.6.1, Dorico Elements v3.5.10, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

Lenny Lee

Post by Lenny Lee »

Puma0382 wrote:Have to agree with most every other post here Lenny - great version; nice vibe, nice journey/energy - strong 'rock' slant. The vocals are awesome mate...

I am also envious of how you've executed the fantastic mix - in my efforts, I can never seem to get that lovely swirling, floating, yet powerful sound, with everything coming in and out of focus seemingly with ease - all the time leaving room for that vocal to work. All the sounds are nicely 'back' (away..?) from the speakers in their own space and as a whole; my mixes..? Well, everything always sounds too forward - you know, right at the speakers... Yeah, I use reverbs and delays - but then it all just starts sounding like mush and in order to get some focus, I pull out the verb density and well, I'm back to square one... :?

Anyhow, I just wanted to say, really enjoyed this - great job..! :)

Bob
Thank you for your kind words, Bob. I shared your concern with how long to keep it in half time at the beginning,
but that was part of what separates it from the original, and allows it to evolve, and I felt I had enough things of interest there to keep the listener engaged, so I kept it this way.
Thanks for your comments on the mix. I'm basically non-technical, and don't approach a mix as a trained engineer
might, but I've learned a few tricks and found a way to pick and poke at it 'til I yield a decent result - and I've learned much from the good folk here who've been critiquing me for 8 years or so. :)
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Puma0382

Post by Puma0382 »

Understood Lenny... practise makes perfect..! ;)

BTW, was the first part of your response really for me...!? Maybe for JMCecil's note a bit further up...? :)

Bob
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.5.20, WaveLab Pro v10.0.40, Studio One v4.6.1, Dorico Elements v3.5.10, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

Lenny Lee

Post by Lenny Lee »

Puma0382 wrote:Understood Lenny... practise makes perfect..! ;)

BTW, was the first part of your response really for me...!? Maybe for JMCecil's note a bit further up...? :)

Bob

D'oh! :oops: Yes, that was intended for JM. Thanks again Bob - and thank you JM, for listening! :)
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil »

Hey, my pleasure for sure. I can set up a live recording environments and I can capture very good recordings of solo instruments. But, my mixing skills are terrible. I'm privileged to listen to the stuff you guys accomplish.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong »

JMCecil wrote:
What's funny is that I usually hate covers, but I've heard this song covered many, many times and they are usually good. I wonder what it is about this song that makes it "coverable"
Interesting. I've heard a Phil Collins cover of it, and I've heard there's a Jimi Hendrix recording of it (don't think it was ever released however). I'd be interested to know/hear about some others
"There is no avant-garde; only some people a bit behind." -- Edgar Varese
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks »

Nice treatment of an old classic.... cheers Lenny.
Robin
Visit Northwood Mediaworks!
| Cubase Pro 8.5.20 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win10pro 64 | i7 16Gb | UR44 | Angry Wife |
| OSX 10.12.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15 | Loads of Other Stuff |

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil »

twilightsong wrote:
JMCecil wrote:
Interesting. I've heard a Phil Collins cover of it, and I've heard there's a Jimi Hendrix recording of it (don't think it was ever released however). I'd be interested to know/hear about some others
two of my favorites....
Michael Hedges on the Oracle album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNuHoP_faQ

801 (Manzanera, Eno) on the first 801 live album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uqkIXZY1lc

Wow, I had no idea these were on YouTube. I'm not much for surfing

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil »

hmmm.... I guess it's possible to do an awful cover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUUBWBdC ... re=related

firestamper

Post by firestamper »

love this version sorry i hadn`t listened to this earlier ,this is one of my fav beatles tracks ,great mix ,great vocals ,great guitar ,loads of energy , well done.

HornForHire

Post by HornForHire »

Hi Lenny,

This is great! 8-)

It certainly is very different from the original, I like it a lot.
Powerful arrangement and production. Very nice.

Richie did a great job on the guitar!

Cheers,
Wim

Post by Guest »

Awesome, Lenny. Just listened twice. :mrgreen:

Kudos to Richie, tasteful. 8-)

Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Loved it!

Cheers :)
Overture

bluebob

Post by bluebob »

I could listen to that opening endless times, love the way it floats with drama and then the vocal comes in to pull it together.
forgot to mention that tight bassline. really an accomplishment producing this track.
congrats!!
btw, wim said he would try and get a sax line down to groovedog when the time is available so can't wait to see how that one unfolds
Bob
Trent River, Ontario

mixup23

Post by mixup23 »

Hey Lenny,
I have a great respect for your talent, and it shines here. Title song and Within You Without You are two of my favorite Beatles compositions. You have uniquely captured the essence of Tomorrow Never Knows. Big pluses, Lenny!

Michael
Michael Private

the Garden

Cubase Essentials - Creative X-Fi - XP - Martin D12-20 purchased new in 1969 - Cool Edit - Shure SM58 which is still the best mic for pounding nails - MXL2001 russian made condenser mic

You are never alone with a schizophrenic.

Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Hi Lenny

I really don't have very much to say except that this is really very good in every respect. 8-) I know it's not the thing to say but I have never been a huge Beatles fan :o :oops: but I could listen to this all day.

Cheers
Dave
Cubase 6, i5, 8gb ram, Win7 X64, UAD-2, Emu 1820m, Nocturn, Alphatrack .......

Website/blog

DaveKeir

Post by DaveKeir »

Lenny,

This is astonishing. I don't know whether it's because the song is already so familiar that it's so easy to be so enthusiastic about it. I mean you don't have to "learn" the song before you can appreciate the performance, arrangement and production. I can get "straight to the point" of this piece of work as you as a recordist, performer, arranger and producer.

Promo this more widely when it's released and I wonder what radio stations might pick this up!?

Awesome. (A word I normally deplore due to it's abuse. I don't abuse it here.)

Pearldivers

Post by Pearldivers »

The Brill. ;)

Loved it.

Jet

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”