Are you guys worried about losing rights to online music...

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Re: Are you guys worried about losing rights to online music...

Post by Guest »

Most of the greatest producers of modern times are all over 50.

It is your ears that matter most and understanding of music and engineering.

It does not matter what age a person is so long as they can apply themselves to a given performance.

Steinberg provide the tools, so I suggest using them to eek out a living or dominate the world.

your choice

Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

Brains wrote:Most of the greatest producers of modern times are all over 50.
Sure. But they weren't 50 when they made their name. These people became greats through making great stuff into their 20s and continuing through the next decades.
Got a Brian - Morans

"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not" -- Andre Gide

Post by Guest »

With todays' technology the situation has changed, thus age is not so much a factor.

Take all the "has beens" going out now with remakes of their old songs (not even attempting to re-write them). Eventually the public will get sick of both computer generated music and soundscapes, or else songs of the past and there will be a void to be filled, so why not encourage people I say.

Some of the best songs have come from movies anyway, so it's up to individuals to break the mold and create anew and whichever way we look at it, contemporary music has it's roots in early classical, therefore at least 400 years has passed since the great composers started making music for the masses.

Mary Antoinettes' theater still stands as a testament to those times and of course the music scores, not to mention painters, sculpters, architects and anyone else who defined europe as we still know it today.

British and American influence is a relatively new phenomena in the big scheme of things, so what will come next who can know.

With the Internet it is now possible to collaborate online with people from around the world using a program called Digital Musician Network. Although a fairly basic application, as more features are added it will expand and world music will become the norm in the truest sense of the meaning.

Sherz

Post by Sherz »

Paul Woodlock wrote:IOW stop worrying and just make music for fun. And give it away to people who are appreciate to listen to it. This is 'art' not a soulless commercial commodity. If you wanna make money then mine precious metals or something.

We are all middle aged 'never beens' here. Deal with it and just have fun. :)
| Cubase 10.0.5 Pro (64bit) | Windows 10 | M-Audio Fastrack C600 | 3.4Ghz Intel i5 | 8Gb |
--- M Y M U S I C ---

Post by Guest »

This is an exclusive club, the cubase lounge, and each will have their own views but what is right for one person is not necessarily right for everyone, so may no one sit in judgment.

Lenny Lee

Post by Lenny Lee »

Brains wrote:This is an exclusive club, the cubase lounge, and each will have their own views but what is right for one person is not necessarily right for everyone, so may no one sit in judgment.
the handful of people I know who've made a life and career of music had that rare combination of talent,
luck, personality and most importantly - drive. I tend to agree with you - there'll continue to be positions
out there for talented people who are willing to work hard. If it's something your heart burns to do, you should go for it. You'll probably never regret giving it your best shot, even if you don't go as far as you'd like.
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Box o' Chocolates at CDBaby

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis »

Steve Fogal wrote:Anything is possible...ripped off or not... My uncle in New York wrote a song years ago, someone stole it from him and it became a hit...he didn't make a cent. He obviously didn't do anything to protect himself.

A coworkers mom who was just a house-wife wrote a song, she knew someone in the business somehow and it became a hit...my co-worker must have been in her early 30's so her mother musta been near 50 years old...she did little musically before that as far as I know.

Though making music I think should be about your own creation for arts sake....any one of us who is in the "never-was" catagory could write a song worthy of being a hit and/or worthy of stealing to use it for 'something', a commercial etc. No harm in making an effort of some kind to protecting your own work....just in case. I for one would want to take a precaution by at least copywriting my songs should I release anything.

Take a look at Sony Bono's song "I Got You Babe" and you'll see that a "hit" could come from anywhere!
I've often asked myself, if that oboe wasn't in the song (for example, if it was just a vanilla rhythm guitar), would it still have been a hit?

Maybe the only rhythm-oboe part in rock history!! (If it is an oboe?)
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

Lenny Lee

Post by Lenny Lee »

alexis wrote:I've often asked myself, if that oboe wasn't in the song (for example, if it was just a vanilla rhythm guitar), would it still have been a hit?

This reminds me of an interview I read with Todd Rundgren. He'd produced Grand Funk's hit single(and album)
'We're An American Band' - and he said that on the chorus of that song, he'd suggested that they add that
one, repeating, cheesy sounding farfisa organ note 'tee tee tee tee tee' - and they all fought him on it,
but they finally agreed to do it - and after the song became a big hit, they all agreed that that idea made a big difference.
And, of course, that killer beat with the cowbell during the verse didn't hurt either. 8-)
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Box o' Chocolates at CDBaby

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks »

Lenny Lee wrote:
alexis wrote:I've often asked myself, if that oboe wasn't in the song (for example, if it was just a vanilla rhythm guitar), would it still have been a hit?

This reminds me of an interview I read with Todd Rundgren. He'd produced Grand Funk's hit single(and album)
'We're An American Band' - and he said that on the chorus of that song, he'd suggested that they add that
one, repeating, cheesy sounding farfisa organ note 'tee tee tee tee tee' - and they all fought him on it,
but they finally agreed to do it - and after the song became a big hit, they all agreed that that idea made a big difference.
And, of course, that killer beat with the cowbell during the verse didn't hurt either. 8-)
Lyrics made it too... it was the whole package....
  • Out on the road for forty days
    Last night in Little Rock, put me in a haze
    Sweet, sweet Connie was doin' her act
    She had the whole show and that's a natural fact

Up all night with Freddie King
    I got to tell you, poker's his thing
    Booze and ladies, keep me right
    As long as we can make it to the show tonight

We're an American band
    We're an American band
    We're comin' to your town
    We'll help you party it down
    We're an American band

Four young chiquitas in Omaha
    Waitin' for the band to return from the show
    A feelin' good, feelin' right and it's Saturday night
    The hotel detective, he was outta sight

Now these fine ladies, they had a plan
    They was out to meet the boys in the band
    They said, "Come on dudes, let's get it on!"
    And we proceeded to tear that hotel down

We're an American band
    We're an American band
    We're comin' to your town
    We'll help you party it down
    We're an American band

etc....
Classic stuff, rock dreams, etc....

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong »

Steve Fogal wrote: No harm in making an effort of some kind to protecting your own work....just in case. I for one would want to take a precaution by at least copywriting my songs should I release anything.
Technically, your song enjoys copyright protection once you've produced it on some medium. Practically, the best way to ensure your rights is to register it with the US Copyright office. This can be done online, but it's one of the worst, clunky, user-UNfriendly websites I've come across -- I actually couldn't figure it out. Leagalzoom.com will also register your song, but they want an arm and leg to do it.

I've read where our DAW projects have some built-in protection because 1. the work is already on a medium, and 2. the files have an embedded date to them. I suppose that could be faked, however
"There is no avant-garde; only some people a bit behind." -- Edgar Varese
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong »

Steve Fogal wrote:[

I was working in a shopping center, saw a really cute chick..and then started whistling the song..."Yummy, yummy, yummy, I got love in my tummy" ...then suddenly stopped whistling when I thought she may know that song too!
You DO know what that song's actually about, don't you?

Given the context you provided, I bet you do! :lol:
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember

Post by Guest »

twilightsong wrote:
Steve Fogal wrote: No harm in making an effort of some kind to protecting your own work....just in case. I for one would want to take a precaution by at least copywriting my songs should I release anything.
Technically, your song enjoys copyright protection once you've produced it on some medium.
That is copyright (P).

Copyright (C) requires demonstration on the part of the claimant that they indeed created the work, which can only be done by song drafts, which may or may not comprise audio recordings.

No formal registration mechanism would stand up legally.

Basically you are safe (in the case of cubase) if you make copies of your work at all intervals.

Personally I have literally 100's of versions dating back years of each and every song I've worked on and that was only if I lose data but it has a dual purpose.

No problem demonstrating who wrote something.

Cubase has a notepad, albeit very basic so that is (C) in both musical and literary works.

The only time any form of registration comes into the situation, is if there is a patent or trademark but for anything else all a songwriter can do is assign their copyright to another person or alternatively give distribution rights to the (P) in the recording.

Dates and things like that are irrelevant so what needs to be proven beyond doubt is that from a songs' inception through to composition and to some extent production; that it can be shown to be the result of ones' efforts. Ideas bear no copyright, unless they are performed therefore no royalties are due.

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong »

Brains wrote:
twilightsong wrote:
Technically, your song enjoys copyright protection once you've produced it on some medium.
That is copyright (P).

Copyright (C) requires demonstration on the part of the claimant that they indeed created the work, which can only be done by song drafts, which may or may not comprise audio recordings.
Who said anything about "audio recordings?" A song draft, you know, if written on a piece of paper, is on a "medium."
No formal registration mechanism would stand up legally.

Maybe I misunderstand this, but as written it's wrong. In fact, US courts won't even accept a lawsuit without there being an existing, formal registration. And statutory compensation for damages is not provided without said registration and is based on the DATE the registration was accepted (plus 3 months as I read it).
Cubase has a notepad, albeit very basic so that is (C) in both musical and literary works.
I wonder about this. Couldn't a person make an entry into the Cubase notepad at some point AFTER they've heard someone else's work? I think it's quite odd you think a notepad entry provides protection (under (C)) but formal registration is useless.
Dates and things like that are irrelevant so what needs to be proven beyond doubt is that from a songs' inception through to composition and to some extent production; that it can be shown to be the result of ones' efforts.
[/quote]

And date is a key factor in that process -- it' only logical

Post by Guest »

And date is a key factor in that process -- it' only logical
Not where I come from.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”