FR: "Offset" button available for setting overall volume

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
mindastray

FR: "Offset" button available for setting overall volume

Post by mindastray »

Please, Steinberg, take a minute to read this through. I think I've got a good point here.

Like I discussed on my own, other topic, a tiny 2MB software named SAWPlus32 and SAWPro (in the 90's) had the ability to enable the feature named OFFSET beside every track so that by enabling it you could change the overall volume (and/or PAN) curve of the track quickly and easily.

In Cubase you have to use this unnecessarily time-consuming way of selecting all the (Volume) automation points and trim these - and even if this works way better in C6 than C5 - it STILL is all too complex and non-intuitive. I mean, isn't changing the overall volume of a track (with lot's of automatization) something that every single one of us do pretty frequently? Then by selecting all the automation events and start trimming,,, well it's not THAT tedious since you can use mouse wheel and adjust them from the info-line, but imagine this:

- You have a tiny button named OFFSET - or "O" - in the Inspector/Tracklist/Mixer for every track
- You enable it by single mouse click
- Then all the level changes that you do (no matter if it's volume automatization, or PAN, or Inserts/Sends..) would be handled so that it affects ALL the automation entries at the same time. And only when that "O"-button is enabled

Think about it! It was so cool of a feature in SAWPlus/Pro that I can never emphasize or praise it enough.

Now if you want to adjust for example the overall Volume AND the SEND 1 level for one track (with already existing automatization), you will have to first select all the volume auto entries and trim them AND THEN select all the Send 1 auto entries and trim them too. This would be done much more intuitively if you enabled the OFFSET or "O" button from the Inspector, Tracklist or Mixer window, and then adjust the levels you want, you can be sure that it always affects the automatization AS A WHOLE to a corresponding parameter.

By manually having to select the auto entry points, there's always room for error and it's tedious also. And sooo SLOW when you are doing some editing on a very large project with dozens of tracks.

I really try not to write some stupid Feature Request mails here, since everybody has their own, but this "O"-button feature would take virtually no room at all from the Inspector/Tracklist/Mixer and it would be so handy.

I have used it A LOT in SAW-environmet in the 90's and I can assure you that you would love it too. Otherwise Cubase is the best DAW I've ever seen, but there's always room for making it even better. I think this OFFSET-feature would be a huge time-saver and a must-have asset.

As an end-note I'd like to summarize this all: If you can now do this useful and common editing type by the hard and slow way, why not making it possible to do it easily?
--------------------------
WEB:
www.rockworksstudio.fi

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Re: FR: "Offset" button available for setting overall volume

Post by Grim »

isn't changing the overall volume of a track (with lot's of automatization) something that every single one of us do pretty frequently
Yes. but every single one except you knows how to do it the easy way ;)

Just select trim mode on the automation & the fader allows you to shift overall volume.....if you don't play back as you adjust then it is a fixed setting or you can ply through & record overall volume changes but incorporating your earlier curves.
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

mindastray

Post by mindastray »

Grim wrote:
isn't changing the overall volume of a track (with lot's of automatization) something that every single one of us do pretty frequently

Just select trim mode on the automation & the fader allows you to shift overall volume.....if you don't play back as you adjust then it is a fixed setting or you can ply through & record overall volume changes but incorporating your earlier curves.
!!! What?? I didn't know that! :lol :lol: Darn I have to try it right away!! I'm embarrassed if you're right :D
WEB:
www.rockworksstudio.fi

mindastray

Post by mindastray »

Grim wrote:

Damn it - you were right !!!!!!!!! EXCELLENT! Thank you!

The only thing that seems to be a bit of a "drag" here, that with automation panel you are only restricted to the space between the left and right locators, right? Meaning the if you have another area selected with the locators than the whole project (like when you are recording something with punching) then that would ruin your selection range. Am I right?

I'm not giving up too easily :lol: Anyway, I have always though that Steinberg should have implemented separate locators for recording and Mixdown/Editing functions. It's not good to use the same locators to everything.. Prove me wrong, Grim! ;)
WEB:
www.rockworksstudio.fi

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim »

The only thing that seems to be a bit of a "drag" here, that with automation panel you are only restricted to the space between the left and right locators, right? Meaning the if you have another area selected with the locators than the whole project (like when you are recording something with punching) then that would ruin your selection range. Am I right?
I think?? (Can't check right now) that if you just do a fixed trim adjustment it does the whole track.
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

mindastray

Post by mindastray »

Grim wrote:
I think?? (Can't check right now) that if you just do a fixed trim adjustment it does the whole track.
I got it only working between the locators, but I'll try to test that further later. Now gotta start recording vocals.. Please let me know if you find out somthing I'd like. You know what I like, Grim, don't ya? :mrgreen:
WEB:
www.rockworksstudio.fi

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”