Taking their sweet time

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Patanjali

Re: Taking their sweet time

Post by Patanjali »

Steinberg has implied the issue will be fixed with the next update.

It is better that it is correctly tested against many scenarios. A sequencer is the key element in a very diverse ecosystem. It is probably one of the few programs that has so much realtime processing going on with plugins from multiple manufacturers. Even a fix that takes two hours needs to be regression tested.

As for having lots of releases as per that relatively new kid on the block, that may be fun for programmer types who are into RAD, but it is a pain for anyone who wants to use the software and not have to play Russion roulette every few days with whether there will be problems. I don't want to have to keep using current projects as a regression test suite.
Businesses do NOT frequently update the major software they use - the risk is too great.

From my point of view, Steinberg, take the required amount of time to make it sure it works properly.
Patanjali
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GTX 1050 : SSDx7 : UAD2Q : TCL 49C2US x2.
HW: YRG : uKEY2 : UR44.
SW: Dual boot Win10P : Cubase 8.0.30 Pro 64 : RX4Adv : Ozone6Adv : Goliath/SO/Pianos/Gypsy/SV : Sup.Drum 2

Conman

Post by Conman »

I see that pointing out what's obvious is "sanctimonious" to some.
So who uses timestretch in Cubase more seriously than someone else who uses timestretch?
Seriously means planning it out and editing and maybe cutting things into shorter segments.
Not trying to stretch 4 hours of out of time vocal into line.
No big deal.
And the people who understand the program and how computers work have actually paid for the product as well as the unhappy users who, in most cases, would be better served by actually looking at other posts where Cubase 6 is reported working as well as at the ones who have the same problem. Then they'll get a true picture of the scale of the problem they have.
Then, rather than getting nowhere here, they should ring Steinberg support who will tell them a lot more than anyone they see here. Especially on vague posts like this one.

The sanctimonious ones are actually the ones who insist that their problems are nothing to do with themselves.
Off out now. See you all in the bar.
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

Post by Guest »

Patanjali wrote:From my point of view, Steinberg, take the required amount of time to make it sure it works properly.
That would mean we'd not have it for a least 6 months from when it could be released, each and every time there is a new version.

If you were to conduct a poll, I suspect people would rather have a chance to master their chops on the new software instead of having to stick months with something that has less features, even if it means the newer version isn't feature complete.

Conman

Post by Conman »

Brains wrote:
Patanjali wrote:From my point of view, Steinberg, take the required amount of time to make it sure it works properly.
That would mean we'd not have it for a least 6 months from when it could be released, each and every time there is a new version.

If you were to conduct a poll, I suspect people would rather have a chance to master their chops on the new software instead of having to stick months with something that has less features, even if it means the newer version isn't feature complete.
Hm, Brains. I wasn't sure that was an order or a statement. Full stops would have made it clearer.
But if it was an order I'd agree. I'd posit also that were Steinberg to make sure 99% Cubase working with every bit of software on and off the planet was bug free with beta testing then every new version would be every 4 years and cost at least 5 times the price.
And nobody has to buy version zero. :lol:
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

Post by Guest »

Conman wrote:And nobody has to buy a version zero. :lol:
At least with the independent lounges, we have a dead letter society now and we can all argue over the semantics of what a corporation does or does not do all the while neglecting our true purpose(s) to write or record music.

foolomon

Post by foolomon »

I am :lol:'ing at this entire thread.

I am willing to bet that 99% of the participants in here have no idea of the software development process (and I don't mean just code-test-release) and how many cogs are in this particular machine.

I don't like that .0 releases are buggy either, but I'm not naive enough to expect it to ever be fixed. How many people in here remember the IT maxim that you never install any version of Windows until SP1 is available? I can guarantee you that in spite of the fact that you may be a serious timestretch user Windows is far more ubiquitous than Cubase. And if the world came come to expect a level of quality from Microsoft that prevents them from rolling out .0 versions of Windows to their production environment then I guarantee you that Steinberg is going to expect you to do the same from Cubase.

At the end of the day, no one is forcing you to upgrade to any .0 release. Granted, I would call .0 a beta if I were them but that's their prerogative. If you want to install it then caveat emptor and be done with it.

Just my $0.02.

"Just call me Larry."

Lenovo T450 laptop (Windows 7 64-bit + 16GB RAM + 500GB SSD)
AMD-Phenom II based system (Windows 7 64-bit + 8GB DDR3 RAM)
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface

Other hardware: Too much to mention here
Software: Cubase 8.5 Pro; Komplete 9; Melodyne Editor; FabFilter Pro Suite; various VSTs from Blue Cat Audio, Native Instruments (beyond what's in Komplete), Slate, Softube, Sound Toys and Variety of Sound

Stop by and visit!

Post by Guest »

You needed to have put the word "fixed" in quotes.

JohnOnKeyz

Post by JohnOnKeyz »

foolomon wrote:...And if the world came come to expect a level of quality from Microsoft that prevents them from rolling out .0 versions of Windows to their production environment then I guarantee you that Steinberg is going to expect you to do the same from Cubase.
Let's hope that doesn't happen. There will be no one to jump on .0 versions to test it for the rest of us users. :o

But I don't think that's gonna happen, as MS released Win 7.0... and it's still going strong without any service pack updates.
John
(Maryland, USA)
~~~ the Aftereffekt ~~~ - - - - - | | | - - - - - ~~~ Slyd Studios ~~~

Post by Guest »

Hence the reason why the initial post in this discussion is based on a false premise.

DrWashington

Post by DrWashington »

Look, "Brains", this post was NOT based on a false premise.

I track at 96kHz, always.

Timestretching only works at 44.1kHz, which excludes a large user base, including those who need to track at 48kHz, from using it.

Therefore, it is BROKEN.

Simple, right?

It would seem you'd rather exercise your penchant for sanctimonious verbosity and attack the messenger than simply admit that Steinberg has slipped up a little here. I'm advocating for more updating, since it's already been revealed that the issue has been fixed for a while now at Steinberg HQ. I'm simply saying that we, the users, if it's something we rely on heavily, should have access to those fixes as soon as they are fixes.

Do you really think that Steinberg needs cheerleaders on this forum? Do you really think that posting constantly is allowing you to seem "professional"? You're obviously not getting any work done while you're posting, which seems to be MOST OF THE TIME!

You're still using Cubase 5, right? Then go spend some time in that forum and leave us alone, please! If it doesn't affect you, WHY ON EARTH ARE YOU (and CONMAN) SO COMPELLED TO TRY AND DOMINATE THE CONVERSATION? :evil:
Win10x64, Intel Core i7 5960x @ 4.2GHz, 32GB DDR 4, Asus Rampage V Extreme, Samsung 1TB SSD for OS + 6TB RAID 10 + 5TB RAID 1, BD-RE, GeForce 780 Ti (4 monitors), RME Fireface UC, EVE SC208s.

Post by Guest »

lol

Let me first say I do get a lot of work done, as much of it is actually listening.

Anyway about this "issue" timestretch as a feature is not broken. It is merely semantics being argued here and in any case you can always revert to using C5, since project compatibility is not a problem so unless there is some particular element of the algorithm you need I suggest you desist with your trying to wind up users in this arguably untoward way.

Oh and BTW can you please provide the link to as referred?

DrWashington

Post by DrWashington »

I suggest you GFY.

"Desist"... what a wind bag. I'm done arguing with the likes of you.

You're a classic, insufferable nerd. You latch onto a cause and seek to dominate the discourse by trying to make yourself sound as aloof, collected, and intelligent as possible, even though the issue at hand admittedly doesn't concern you. You're an intellectual parasite. You'd make a wonderful talking head. What are you doing wasting your time with music? Go get paid to bloviate on TV, people will love you!

I have zero respect for you, now that you've opened your mouth to remove all doubt. You've made this personal by accusing me repeatedly of opening this thread under a false premise, but your argument is baseless, and I greatly resent your accusation, being that it is so completely devoid of merit and illogical ("this doesn't affect me or people who work at 44.1kHz all the time, so therefore it is COMPLETELY INTACT and shouldn't be criticized by anyone, for any reason, and no solutions should be suggested, for they are manifestly anti-Steinberg rabble-rousing, and should not be tolerated by well-educated gentlemen, such as myself!")

This affects, me, so I'm writing about it! If this doesn't affect you, kindly go elsewhere.

STEINBERG DOES NOT REQUIRE CHEERLEADERS! Get a life! They're adults, they can look after themselves.

I'm tired of being civil with people (aged children) like you. You simply don't deserve it. You grate, and you grate, and you GRATE on the nerves with your sanctimonious tripe that serves to accomplish absolutely nothing, and then you keep on doing it until you get a reaction like this! And, you do it with gusto, and you KEEP doing it until everyone sees your brain for the empty cauldron of big words and zero substance it actually is. Congratulations, you're a buffoon. You're not "brainy": I can see right through you. You've found something technical to latch onto, and you won't let it go. You know why? Because you are an insufferable nerd.

:lol:

This is why I spend comparatively little time on forums such as this. I'd much rather be making music or eating or sleeping or doing other things I'd get bleeped for on here.

This is my last post on this thread. I've said my peace: the feature in question is broken FOR ME AND MANY OTHERS, and it IS A MAJOR ONE, and I would like to see a CHANGE going forward. That is all.

Attacking my intentions is not going to win this faux-argument for anyone. :roll:
Win10x64, Intel Core i7 5960x @ 4.2GHz, 32GB DDR 4, Asus Rampage V Extreme, Samsung 1TB SSD for OS + 6TB RAID 10 + 5TB RAID 1, BD-RE, GeForce 780 Ti (4 monitors), RME Fireface UC, EVE SC208s.

Post by Guest »

Dr Washington.

While it is fine that my intellect can be questioned, as for the substance of this discussion my view was never that the feature in question is "intact", actually I have argued that indeed the feature is incomplete as opposed to off-handedly quoting it as a bug.

In any case, you need to answer the question which is:

What part of the timestretch algorithm is a problem?

Also, you have failed to provide the link where it was stated that it is working in the lab.

Post by Guest »

nilsemil wrote:for gods sake guys. dont jump on the first version if you need stuff to get done. everybody knows this.
+1

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis »

filterfreak wrote:
nilsemil wrote:for gods sake guys. dont jump on the first version if you need stuff to get done. everybody knows this.
+1
Hey ff - I see in your sig - SX3 same build as mine ... if you beat me to trying the free trial version of C6, please post your impressions at http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... =81&t=4725 - love to hear how it gets on.

Thanks!
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

Post by Guest »

alexis wrote:
filterfreak wrote:
+1
Hey ff - I see in your sig - SX3 same build as mine ... if you beat me to trying the free trial version of C6, please post your impressions at http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... =81&t=4725 - love to hear how it gets on.

Thanks!
ive been using c6 since its release date ,been installed and running 6 weeks

regards
john

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”