Which audio monitors are you guys using with Cubase??

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
curteye
External Moderator

Re: Which audio monitors are you guys using with Cubase??

Post by curteye »

MarkOne wrote:there are going to be a lot of speakers that are OK in the HF, reasonable in the mids and all over the place in the bass
Sounds just like my Mackie 824's.

So I got the Genelecs.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac 5K 4.2Gz 16GB
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong »

Paul Woodlock wrote:
Why pay good money for stuff published that has no more authority than anything written in an Internet Forum. At least with a 'forum' you get to read a range of views.
I don't subscribe to SOS, I just came across the article. Did you even read it? I'm actually not familiar with SOS beyond that article. I don't necessarily disagree with your objection to SOS in general, or your objection to the "Appeal to Authority" problem, but to me to reject a fairly reasonable article out-of-hand because of some ideological stance is equally flawed.

I note you didn't address ANY of the issues about the speaker raised in the article itself :roll:
"There is no avant-garde; only some people a bit behind." -- Edgar Varese
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember

MarkOne

Post by MarkOne »

Paul Woodlock wrote:
twilightsong wrote:
Why pay good money for stuff published that has no more authority than anything written in an Internet Forum. At least with a 'forum' you get to read a range of views.
Paul, you appear to be bringing some of your own prejudice against journalism to bear here. I tend to trust the Sound on Sound writers, because over they years they have proved themselves to be a credible source, whereas generally the internet is... well, look at Wikipedia!

As to journalistic integrity in the face of advertising revenue, I can only say if you read SOS regularly - and I do - you would know they are just as likely to provide you reasons not to buy a product, if they think it has flaws - even if there is a full page ad for the same product on a facing page. I have seen this a number of times over the years, Yamaha and the Motif Rack and it's MIDI timing issues springs to mind!

Don't assume they cannot be even handed and objective. Some people put integrity above any 'fear' they may have of advertising being pulled. It's called being a professional.
check out my new CD "Fantasy Bridge' here

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong »

I also don't see what's wrong with an "appeal to authority" if the so-called authority is right. I mean, a source that isn't right isn't much of an authority to begin with
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember

unspoken

Post by unspoken »

Main speakers: Klein & Hummel O300 (great speakers)
Alternative pair: Yamaha msp-5

cheers
S.
STUDIO: http://www.studioevolucija.com

DAW: Intel I7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD5h | 16Gb ram | | Windows 10 64 bit | Cubase 10 | Wavelab 9.5 |
Interface: Rme Hdspe Madi card | Rme M-32 converters |

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

unspoken wrote:Main speakers: Klein & Hummel O300 (great speakers)
very great selection, unspoken! (I have also a pair of O 300, love it! :-)
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea »

See signature:
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

Post by Guest »

All this jabber about speakers and NS10 is BS. The control room's acoustics, and the engineer's familiarity with the speakers, is the only thing that matters.

Oh yeah... Bm5a with a Dynaudio sub

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong »

SoundsLikeJoe wrote:All this jabber about speakers and NS10 is BS. The control room's acoustics, and the engineer's familiarity with the speakers, is the only thing that matters.
That's precisely why NS10m's became an industry norm -- familiarity

Control room acoustics vary from studio to studio

Post by Guest »

twilightsong wrote:That's precisely why NS10m's became an industry norm -- familiarity

Yes... in the Good Old Days... you have a point. Today... it's kind of pointless. Engineers don't travel much anymore. Yamaha killed the NS10 more than 10 years ago. There are lots of other great speakers being made today. Even Yamaha, and the original designer of the NS10, have created a "new version" that is, according to the creators, an improvement of the old version.

Did lots of people use them? Yep.
Can you make great music mixing on NS10s? Of course.
Does that mean anything? Not really.

Now back to the OP.

braunie

Post by braunie »

Genelec 8040 nowadays. Used Alesis M 1 acive earlier and now know why they are bad.

braunie

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid »

That's good to know, the Alesis M1 are the best nearfields I've heard so there's much more to experience ;)
Software: Steinberg Cubase Pro 8 64-bit.
Hardware: Intel i5 6600, 16Gb DDR3, Win7 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.

Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

SoundsLikeJoe wrote:
twilightsong wrote:That's precisely why NS10m's became an industry norm -- familiarity

Yes... in the Good Old Days... you have a point. Today... it's kind of pointless. Engineers don't travel much anymore. Yamaha killed the NS10 more than 10 years ago. There are lots of other great speakers being made today. Even Yamaha, and the original designer of the NS10, have created a "new version" that is, according to the creators, an improvement of the old version.

Did lots of people use them? Yep.
Can you make great music mixing on NS10s? Of course.
Does that mean anything? Not really.

Now back to the OP.
So it wasn't BS then. Cool :)
Got a Brian - Morans

"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not" -- Andre Gide

Post by Guest »

Paul Woodlock wrote: So it wasn't BS then. Cool :)
Yep... you know... just trying to keep it focused.

BTW - I'd like to more about the soffitt mounting in terms of construction. How do you prevent the whole front wall from becoming a resonator? I know its a great method but I've never understood how or why.

braunie

Post by braunie »

Strophoid wrote:That's good to know, the Alesis M1 are the best nearfields I've heard so there's much more to experience ;)
Yup. Sound nice them M1's...but...everything below 200 Hz is too sloppy - guess due to fact that they are trying to get too much from reflex port. Huge phase problems and they are too bass heavy. In upper midrange they are too forgiving - distorted guitars can sound really nice even they sound harsh in more revailing systems. highs are nice thou'. Just my 2 cents :) But sloppy is the word. and due to low wattage they distort fairly easily.

braunie

Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

SoundsLikeJoe wrote:
Paul Woodlock wrote: So it wasn't BS then. Cool :)
Yep... you know... just trying to keep it focused.

BTW - I'd like to more about the soffitt mounting in terms of construction. How do you prevent the whole front wall from becoming a resonator? I know its a great method but I've never understood how or why.
Mount the speakers on a heavy weight ( 4 times the weight of the speaker ). Then decouple the speaker+weight mass on an elastomer ( such as Sylomer ) and sit that on the speaker mounts. The mounts should be extremely solid.

you are basically creating a 'mass-spring-mass' system ( same as room within a room on a floating floor ) where.

So mass1-spring-mass2 is

mass1 = speaker + weight

spring = elastomer material

mass2 = earth

This 'mass-spring-mass' system has a resonant frequency which should be calculated to be ( preferably an octave ) below the lowest reproducible frequency of the your speakers. That's becuase you get maximum transmission at the resonant frequency and progressively more isolation as you increase the frequency above resonant.

hth :)
Got a Brian - Morans

"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not" -- Andre Gide

Post by Guest »

So the speakers are isolated from the wall structure... in theory. It seems like you should still get some resonance off the front wall. It also seems that, by not tight fitting the speakers to the wall, you would be creating a port which would alter your frequency response curve.

Not to mention... What if you decide to move them a few degrees or inches? :oops: SOL
I guess I just see it done WRONG more often than not. For example....

This guy is just building boxes or shelves into his wall and calling it soffit mounting. Seems like a bad idea...

Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

SoundsLikeJoe wrote:So the speakers are isolated from the wall structure... in theory. It seems like you should still get some resonance off the front wall.
Depends upon the resonant frequency of the wall
It also seems that, by not tight fitting the speakers to the wall, you would be creating a port which would alter your frequency response curve.
Not in practise. you can get a small resonance in the gap between the speaker and the soffit enclosure but you fill it with rockwool to dampen that. You will get a frequency response change by soffit mounting anyway and it's a desirable one. acoustic energy ( especially bass ) that normally projected backwards is projected forwards. the increase bass response means you can EQ this out and ergo your speakers have a lot more headroom.
Not to mention... What if you decide to move them a few degrees or inches? :oops: SOL
Well that's tough tittie. :) Most people design the speakers in an equilateral triangle to the listener

This guy is just building boxes or shelves into his wall and calling it soffit mounting. Seems like a bad idea...
It's not a 'bad' idea, but it's not as ideal as it could be. But it's a lot better than no soffits. His wall looks pretty solid and hopefully he'll cover it with enough layers of plasterboard ( sheetrock )

I made my soffits with enough room to place decoupled concrete filled wooden boxes in the bottom off ..

Got a Brian - Morans

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split »

SoundsLikeJoe wrote:So the speakers are isolated from the wall structure... in theory. It seems like you should still get some resonance off the front wall. It also seems that, by not tight fitting the speakers to the wall, you would be creating a port which would alter your frequency response curve.

You could build the holes bigger than needed and move the speakers around, as long as you back fill and plasterboard at each move!!! or just get it right first time :)

The front wall should be designed not to resonate by making it as solid as possible.

As PW says, the benefit of soffit mounting far outweighs any disadvantages
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

Split wrote:
You could build the holes bigger than needed and move the speakers around, as long as you back fill and plasterboard at each move!!! or just get it right first time :)
Or build solid soffit walls that can move for adjustment ( using hinges as you'd see on a nuclear blast bunker door )
The front wall should be designed not to resonate by making it as solid as possible.
Yup but sound still travels through solid objects really well ... put your ear on the tracks and you can hear the train coming from many miles away
Got a Brian - Morans

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split »

Paul Woodlock wrote:Yup but sound still travels through solid objects really well ... put your ear on the tracks and you can hear the train coming from many miles away
Double yup but massive things take a lot more to get them moving in the first place
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

Split wrote:
Paul Woodlock wrote:Yup but sound still travels through solid objects really well ... put your ear on the tracks and you can hear the train coming from many miles away
Double yup but massive things take a lot more to get them moving in the first place
Except at their resonant frequency .....

Got a Brian - Morans

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split »

Paul Woodlock wrote:
Split wrote:
Except at their resonant frequency .....

Unless damped effectively unlike this more modern example!

ImageSynchronous Lateral Excitation
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”