Which audio monitors are you guys using with Cubase??

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Re: Which audio monitors are you guys using with Cubase??

Post by Guest »

Zenda wrote:
HowlingUlf wrote:
Paul Woodlock wrote:but got into mixing on an old £5 boombox
haha I just remembered my trusty Tascam PortaOne > Panasonic boombox I made my first mixes with. Talking about mixing into a compressor!!!! :lol: But it took some time to realize that it was the "autolevel" thingie built into the boombox that created these ... unpredictable results :lol: :oops: It didn't sound all BAD though :?

Then I got a HiFi Video as a master tracker that at least sounded somewhat like what I've just heard in the mix. I also got a tape deck for duplication in an era when MP3 wasn't even born haha!

sorry, back to the monitors
We used to mix into a tin bucket attatched to a darning needle cutting into a revolving platter of beef-dripping, turned by a team of oxen.

But tell this to the kids these days, they'd never believe you :mrgreen:
Ohhhhhhhh! You were lucky!

Back in my day .......... before there was light ............ we mixed using a shard of obsidian lava as a lathe, into a swirling quagmire of primordial, primitive, single-cell hammond-organisms drifting along on the boiling-hot tide driven by poisonous effluvia from ocean floor volcanos.

But you're right ..... don't even try to tell kids these days about how it was back then ...... they don't believe in nothing! Heck ..... they don't even know what music is anyway. At least WE know what music sounds like! These young, whipper-snappers today only know MPthis ... and iThat ......... they ain't never even heard REAL music ................ only ones and zeroes! Blah! Phoooooey!

;)

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf »

swamptone wrote:
Zenda wrote:
HowlingUlf wrote:haha I just remembered my trusty Tascam PortaOne > Panasonic boombox I made my first mixes with. Talking about mixing into a compressor!!!! :lol: But it took some time to realize that it was the "autolevel" thingie built into the boombox that created these ... unpredictable results :lol: :oops: It didn't sound all BAD though :?

Then I got a HiFi Video as a master tracker that at least sounded somewhat like what I've just heard in the mix. I also got a tape deck for duplication in an era when MP3 wasn't even born haha!

We used to mix into a tin bucket attatched to a darning needle cutting into a revolving platter of beef-dripping, turned by a team of oxen.

Back in my day .......... before there was light ............ we mixed using a shard of obsidian lava as a lathe, into a swirling quagmire of primordial, primitive, single-cell hammond-organisms drifting along on the boiling-hot tide driven by poisonous effluvia from ocean floor volcanos.

But you're right ..... don't even try to tell kids these days about how it was back then ...... they don't believe in nothing! Heck ..... they don't even know what music is anyway. At least WE know what music sounds like! These young, whipper-snappers today only know MPthis ... and iThat ......... they ain't never even heard REAL music ................ only ones and zeroes! Blah! Phoooooey!

;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

Post by Guest »

yamaha hs80's , i bought 3 pairs so iv'e always got a spare ! :D
i love them to bits ,very surprised how clean they are .

john

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf »

filterfreak wrote:yamaha hs80's , i bought 3 pairs so iv'e always got a spare ! :D
i love them to bits ,very surprised how clean they are .

john
see ... stop loving them to bits and you'd be fine with just one pair, silly! :mrgreen:
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

Post by Guest »

HowlingUlf wrote:
see ... stop loving them to bits and you'd be fine with just one pair, silly! :mrgreen:
i can't help it they make the earth move for me ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

i only use one pair , the idea was 5.1 but i haven't got round to it so im just keeping them as spares as it would be nice that in 20 years time i can pull out a new pair and fix them to my zimmer frame for mobile monitoring :lol: :lol:

john

Renewal

Post by Renewal »

The legendary Genelec 1031A.
Imac i7-2,93Ghz/16GB/10.12.6/C10/Halion Sonic 3/Real LP-Strat-Eight/UX1

HornForHire

Post by HornForHire »

swamptone wrote:
Zenda wrote:
HowlingUlf wrote: haha I just remembered my trusty Tascam PortaOne > Panasonic boombox I made my first mixes with. Talking about mixing into a compressor!!!! :lol: But it took some time to realize that it was the "autolevel" thingie built into the boombox that created these ... unpredictable results :lol: :oops: It didn't sound all BAD though :?

;)
Ha! Luxury!

http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/f ... iremen.htm ;)

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

K&H O-300 D
Yamaha NS-10 M

(...I HATE Genelecs. ;-)
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split »

Still use a pair of NS-10s among others :)
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

Steve Fogal wrote:
Yamaha NS-10's!!! Don't tell Paul Woodlock, he'll wipe the floor with ya! :lol: :lol:
No problem - I´ll wipe the floor with genelecs. :mrgreen:
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

Tommy-boy

Post by Tommy-boy »

Woodcrest Studio wrote:Focal Solo6be

And love them..

Prior to this, Tom was using a pair of Event ASP8s - which now reside in my studio. :mrgreen:

I still have my Event 20/20bas, but haven't used them in a while. Fuller sound with a pinch more detail on the ASP8s.

Tom

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong »

Steve Fogal wrote:
Centralmusic wrote:K&H O-300 D
Yamaha NS-10 M

(...I HATE Genelecs. ;-)
Yamaha NS-10's!!! Don't tell Paul Woodlock, he'll wipe the floor with ya! :lol: :lol:

:
Unless I misread Mr Paul, I don't think he has a problem exactly with MIXING using NS10m's -- but objects to MASTERING with them -- which I agree with 100% and would think any serious mastering person would, too
"There is no avant-garde; only some people a bit behind." -- Edgar Varese
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong »

I use Event Studio 8's and a pair of computer speakers (not at the same time!)

Oh, and phones, too
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember

foolomon

Post by foolomon »

Yamaha SP3's. 3" drivers. I have a small room, but I'd like to buy 5" or 8" drivers and just keep the volume down.

"Just call me Larry."

Lenovo T450 laptop (Windows 7 64-bit + 16GB RAM + 500GB SSD)
AMD-Phenom II based system (Windows 7 64-bit + 8GB DDR3 RAM)
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface

Other hardware: Too much to mention here
Software: Cubase 8.5 Pro; Komplete 9; Melodyne Editor; FabFilter Pro Suite; various VSTs from Blue Cat Audio, Native Instruments (beyond what's in Komplete), Slate, Softube, Sound Toys and Variety of Sound

Stop by and visit!

Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

twilightsong wrote:
Steve Fogal wrote:
Centralmusic wrote:K&H O-300 D
Yamaha NS-10 M

(...I HATE Genelecs. ;-)

:
Unless I misread Mr Paul, I don't think he has a problem exactly with MIXING using NS10m's -- but objects to MASTERING with them -- which I agree with 100% and would think any serious mastering person would, too
Nothing wrong with mixing on NS-10s. In fact their low-fidelity was one of the reasons they became the industry standard in succession to the Auratone.

but the reason every studio has NS-10s and had Auratones was for consistency. engineers and producers travel from studio to studio and need that consistency.

Anyone who uses NS-10s to master on clearly doesn't know what they are doing and cannot really understand what the mastering process is all about.

btw - I actually own a pair of NS-10s
Got a Brian - Morans

"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not" -- Andre Gide

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong »

Paul Woodlock wrote: Nothing wrong with mixing on NS-10s. In fact their low-fidelity was one of the reasons they became the industry standard in succession to the Auratone.
I read an article on SOS recently that asserted that the rep that the NS-10 had acquired was a bit undeserved -- something about how it's superior recoil duration or something like that resulted in improved mid-range, etc.

patcub

Post by patcub »

Dynaudio BM5a.

I find them pretty accurate when sitting in the listener's "sweet spot", at least never had major problems when listening to my mixes in other systems. Not as accurate when sitting off axis, but for the price I found them really great. Also lacks a little in the bass area but it's due to the boomer's size. Overall very satisfied with those monitors.

Post by Guest »

Hs80m love them

Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

twilightsong wrote:
Paul Woodlock wrote: Nothing wrong with mixing on NS-10s. In fact their low-fidelity was one of the reasons they became the industry standard in succession to the Auratone.
I read an article on SOS recently that asserted that the rep that the NS-10 had acquired was a bit undeserved -- something about how it's superior recoil duration or something like that resulted in improved mid-range, etc.
Well SOS is no authority on anything. Many contributors to that mag only pretend to know anything. And that's without the advertising commercial corruption
superior recoil duration or something like that resulted in improved mid-range
That sounds like some snake oil, pseudo science nonsense that has nothing to do with music production whatsoever.

There's no technical science why NS-10s became an industry standard. They just happened to be in the right place at the right time when the industry wanted something slightly better than Auratones as the consistent rubbish speaker to mix on, or check the mix on.

Unfortunately a few mutants got fooled by the logical fallacy of Appeal to Popularity and due to a lack of sense thought ND-10s were a Swiss Army knife of music and thought they could do anything including be a tool to Master on.

NS-10s will not bring world peace :)
Got a Brian - Morans

"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not" -- Andre Gide

curteye
External Moderator

Post by curteye »

Paul Woodlock wrote: They just happened to be in the right place at the right time when the industry wanted something slightly better than Auratones as the consistent rubbish speaker to mix on, or check the mix on.
True.

I think it was the white speakers that sold it.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac 5K 4.2Gz 16GB
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Post by Guest »

curteye wrote:.

I think it was the white speakers that sold it.
{'-'}
i bought the hs80's because of the white cones ! :lol: :lol: :lol: nothing to do with the quality of course ! ;)

john

MarkOne

Post by MarkOne »

but the reason every studio has NS-10s and had Auratones was for consistency. engineers and producers travel from studio to studio and need that consistency.

btw - I actually own a pair of NS-10s
The other thing about NS10s, is despite their fairly um, brash high end, and the less than flattering bump in the frequency response, and the lack of extension in the bass they do however have possibly one of the best time domain phase responses of all time in their low end. This makes them ideal for figuring out what is really going on between bass and kick. This is down to their sealed box, infinite baffle design.

However, most nearfield monitor designers think what we want is huge amounts of bass extension out of small boxes, and they do this by porting the cabinet. The LF response is pushed down, but the slope of attenuation is increased, and the phase errors around the turnover point is quite extreme, meaning, for instance that if the lower response of the speaker is say 50hz then stuff at 45 Hz and stuff at 55 Hz that was recorded with a tight phase relationship can be reproduced with a wildly inaccurate phase relationship... Here's the kick, the bass will be along in a minute (well, milliseconds, but you get the idea)

The only solutions to this are more esoteric designs, like transmission lines (read: expensive) bigger boxes (read: expensive) or compromised LF response. In a world where people think £500 is expensive for speakers there are going to be a lot of speakers that are OK in the HF, reasonable in the mids and all over the place in the bass
check out my new CD "Fantasy Bridge' here

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong »

Paul Woodlock wrote:
twilightsong wrote:
Well SOS is no authority on anything. Many contributors to that mag only pretend to know anything. And that's without the advertising commercial corruption
superior recoil duration or something like that resulted in improved mid-range
That sounds like some snake oil, pseudo science nonsense that has nothing to do with music production whatsoever.

There's no technical science why NS-10s became an industry standard. They just happened to be in the right place at the right time when the industry wanted something slightly better than Auratones as the consistent rubbish speaker to mix on, or check the mix on.

Unfortunately a few mutants got fooled by the logical fallacy of Appeal to Popularity and due to a lack of sense thought ND-10s were a Swiss Army knife of music and thought they could do anything including be a tool to Master on.

NS-10s will not bring world peace :)
Well, respectfully, your assessment of NS-10m's as "rubbish" -- a common counter-claim these days -- is to me just as much urban counter-myth as to say they became ubiquitous because they were good. I think the truth of their "quality" is probably somewhere in the middle.

My understanding of their "ascension" to popularity -- after they had actually been on the market for awhile as hi-fi speakers but didn't sell very well -- was because a few "name" mixers began to use them and because they were in-demand guys who traveled from studio to studio and either brought them with or requested them, the speaker gained word-of-mouth.

The SOS article which you haven't even read is pretty even-handed and is in fact an attempt to sort fact from fiction. It was also written YEARS after the model was discontinued so I doubt there's any financial consideration involved.

I also look dimly at your claim that anybody and everybody who writes for a journal that takes in ad money is going to therefore compromise their integrity because of it. I'm sure this happens. However, I wouldn't do it. You wouldn't do it. I suspect most people wouldn't, either.

The tech aspect I referred to was actually a matter of "time-domain response" as Mark said and it's science. The article discusses some technical examinations that included the NS-10m:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/a ... hans10.htm

Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

twilightsong wrote:
Well, respectfully, your assessment of NS-10m's as "rubbish" -- a common counter-claim these days -- is to me just as much urban counter-myth as to say they became ubiquitous because they were good. I think the truth of their "quality" is probably somewhere in the middle.
You misinderstand me.

The speakers being 'rubbish' ( hi-fi wise ) is precisely the reason that they were successful infullofilling the role the became infamous for

My understanding of their "ascension" to popularity -- after they had actually been on the market for awhile as hi-fi speakers but didn't sell very well
becuase they were rubbish

-- was because a few "name" mixers began to use them and because they were in-demand guys who traveled from studio to studio and either brought them with or requested them, the speaker gained word-of-mouth.
Which is exactly what I am saying.
The SOS article which you haven't even read is pretty even-handed and is in fact an attempt to sort fact from fiction. It was also written YEARS after the model was discontinued so I doubt there's any financial consideration involved.

I also look dimly at your claim that anybody and everybody who writes for a journal that takes in ad money is going to therefore compromise their integrity because of it. I'm sure this happens. However, I wouldn't do it. You wouldn't do it. I suspect most people wouldn't, either.

The tech aspect I referred to was actually a matter of "time-domain response" as Mark said and it's science. The article discusses some technical examinations that included the NS-10m:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/a ... hans10.htm
You're seriosuly citing an SOS article as some kind of authority?? <sigh>

Having worked in music retail Doug, I can assure you that the last sources of information you should trust is magazines. SOS is no exception. They have people preaching to the masses about room acoustics who don't even fully understand it themselves.

I learned acoustics from the guy who designed this place, Eric Desart. I was lucky to meet the guy. But having done so I gall at some of the nonsense that SOS has printed over the years. One of the so called 'acoustic techs' at SOS didn't even know a standing wave was a storage of acoustic energy. :roll:

Appeal to Authority is one of the most abused logical fallacies.
Last edited by Paul Woodlock on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got a Brian - Morans

Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

oh and just to rub it in for fun ... these people don't even know what Occam's Razor is ...
SOS article linked above wrote:Occam's Razor, the principle beloved of physicists, which says that the most likely correct explanation for any phenomenon is probably the simplest one
More rubbish.

Occam's Razor is nothing to do with the simplest explanation being the correct one. It's to do with the explanation having the least amount of new assumptions.

Why pay good money for stuff published that has no more authority than anything written in an Internet Forum. At least with a 'forum' you get to read a range of views.
Got a Brian - Morans

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”