You OK Sherz?

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Paul Woodlock

You OK Sherz?

Post by Paul Woodlock »

Just heard about the NZ Earthquake!
Got a Brian - Morans

"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not" -- Andre Gide

Sherz

Re: You OK Sherz?

Post by Sherz »

Yeah... once again the City of Christchurch (South Island) has been hit. This time the quake was close and shallow. It really is looking pretty bad...the place is absolutely devastated in fact. Unlike the big one back in September this one has hit mid-day too, the worst possible time. And the City's main icon, the Cathedral has fallen... :(
| Cubase 10.0.5 Pro (64bit) | Windows 10 | M-Audio Fastrack C600 | 3.4Ghz Intel i5 | 8Gb |
--- M Y M U S I C ---

Paul Bryce

Post by Paul Bryce »

I was also wondering about Ian when I heard the news, glad he's safe !
Near the Rockies, Alberta

Mauri

Post by Mauri »

Paul Bryce wrote:I was also wondering about Ian when I heard the news, glad he's safe !

Me too, I can only hope for the best possible outcome for all concerned under the circumstances :( .

All the best,

Mauri.
Cubase Pro 10.5 x64 with jBridge | WaveLab Elements 10 | i7 5930K @ 4.6GHz (stable) | ASUS X99 Pro | 32GB RAM | | W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs plus 3 SSDs for samples and project/audio files | Fractal Design Define R5 case | Noctua NH-D15 | AMD Radeon RX 580 | Vox ToneLab SE | Mackie HR624 MKII | 2 x UAD2 Solo PCIe | RME HDSPe AIO | 2 x 24" LED monitors...

Zenda

Post by Zenda »

!!!!!!!!!!

I'd totally missed the news ..
Glad you're OK, Ian.
The Gypsy King
Music - out of date
Photos

i7930, OCZ Vertex2, Raptors, RME Multiface 2, 12gigRam, C5, Photoshop CS5, Unreal Tournament.

Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

Steve Fogal wrote:Hey Ian, as I heard the news tonight the 1st thing I thought about was you and also my highschool buddy Mitch..he lives in Rangarie, so I think he's safe too. Good to hear at you're ok, some others weren't so lucky.
You ain't far from a fault line too I believe. ?? San andreas
Got a Brian - Morans

"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not" -- Andre Gide

JohnOnKeyz

Post by JohnOnKeyz »

It's good to hear you're ok. We had a 4.2 quake last year, which is very unusual for the East Coast USA. I heard about ChristChurch. It's a shame they were hit twice, and I'll bet there was already some infrastructure weakening from the previous one about 6 months ago.

Where are you located in relation to the quake?

Best wishes,
John
(Maryland, USA)
~~~ the Aftereffekt ~~~ - - - - - | | | - - - - - ~~~ Slyd Studios ~~~

Sherz

Post by Sherz »

Steve Fogal wrote:Hey Ian, as I heard the news tonight the 1st thing I thought about was you and also my highschool buddy Mitch..he lives in Rangarie, so I think he's safe too...
Whangarei !
...some others weren't so lucky
65 confirmed dead so far... :(
JohnOnKeyz wrote:Where are you located in relation to the quake?
NZ is made up of two main Islands. I'm in the North Island, Chrischurch is in the South. 1.5hr flight.
| Cubase 10.0.5 Pro (64bit) | Windows 10 | M-Audio Fastrack C600 | 3.4Ghz Intel i5 | 8Gb |
--- M Y M U S I C ---

HornForHire

Post by HornForHire »

Hey Ian, I'm glad you're OK!

DaveKeir

Post by DaveKeir »

Glad you're fine, Ian! Top story on Radio Scotland news this a.m.

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf »

oooh, scary stuff! :shock:
stay away from the epicenter, Ian!!!
Easier said than done :?
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks »

DaveKeir wrote:Glad you're fine, Ian! Top story on Radio Scotland news this a.m.
Top story in Toronto this morning also.
Robin
Visit Northwood Mediaworks!
| Cubase Pro 8.5.20 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win10pro 64 | i7 16Gb | UR44 | Angry Wife |
| OSX 10.12.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15 | Loads of Other Stuff |

JSW

Post by JSW »

Sorry to hear of the troubles in NZ. Take care . jw

NorthWood MediaWorks

This freaks me out, the force it must have taken to bend these.....
Robin
| Cubase Pro 8.5.20 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win10pro 64 | i7 16Gb | UR44 | Angry Wife |

NorthWood MediaWorks

Sherz wrote:Yeah... once again the City of Christchurch (South Island) has been hit. This time the quake was close and shallow. It really is looking pretty bad...the place is absolutely devastated in fact. Unlike the big one back in September this one has hit mid-day too, the worst possible time. And the City's main icon, the Cathedral has fallen... :(
So Ian, did you north islanders feel it?
Robin

Sherz

Post by Sherz »

I didn't feel a thing up this way... :?

This was in fact only an aftershock following the big quake back in September... but because it was so close this time, and only a few km's deep, and occuring in the middle of the day - well clearly far more devastating... :(
--- M Y M U S I C ---

Sherz

Post by Sherz »

And just to keep it kind of on-topic, here's a direct and rather moving account of the quake by a Christchurch based music critic:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christc ... rth-roared
--- M Y M U S I C ---

NorthWood MediaWorks

Sherz wrote:And just to keep it kind of on-topic, here's a direct and rather moving account of the quake by a Christchurch based music critic:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christc ... rth-roared
Wow... that should make the rest of us feel freakin' lucky. Thanks for sharing.
Robin

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong »

From Matthew 24:

006 "And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
007: For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
008: All these are the beginning of sorrows."

We've always had wars, famines, and earthquakes, but it sure seems we've had a lot more of all of them here lately. Of course, it's entirely possible it's just a coincidence, or a lucky guess, but SOMEBODY --whether it was a dude named Jesus, or Mithra, or was concocted by some secretive proto-Catholic council -- said/wrote this roughly 2,00 years ago... and I don't think there's any question the incidence of these horrors has escalated in both frequency AND destructiveness even in just last 25 years or so

:?:
"There is no avant-garde; only some people a bit behind." -- Edgar Varese
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf »

twilightsong wrote:From Matthew 24:

006 "And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
007: For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

We've always had wars, famines, and earthquakes, but it sure seems we've had a lot more of all of them here lately. Of course, it's entirely possible it's just a coincidence, or a lucky guess, but SOMEBODY --whether it was a dude named Jesus, or Mithra, or was concocted by some secretive proto-Catholic council -- said/wrote this roughly 2,00 years ago... and I don't think there's any question the incidence of these horrors has escalated in both frequency AND destructiveness even in just last 25 years or so

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/faq/?c ... &faqID=110

http://www.suite101.com/content/are-the ... ow-a208929

http://www.slate.com/id/2241540/

:!:
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

JohnOnKeyz

Post by JohnOnKeyz »

HowlingUlf wrote:

Yup, our ability to monitor them has gotten better over the years. So more are just being noticed. Plus, being that humanities population has exploded over the past 50 years or so, there is more likelihood that people will make their home in riskier areas. Of course, people have always been a little daft in that regard. :lol:

That said, I do feel we're close to major changes. For instance, a smaller trigger were the protests in Egypt which inspired others around the globe to do the same. If we get a larger trigger, who knows what will happen! It could be natural or human initiated.
John
(Maryland, USA)

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong »

HowlingUlf wrote:

Thanks for those links

The thrust of the Bible passage as I read it centers on the concurrence of the events listed, not necessarily the frequency.

The characterization of "more" disasters, including earthquakes, as well as "the last 25 years" was MY OWN, not the Bible's, if you read it closely. We need to consider the other factors listed, too -- war, famine, and epidemics. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you take ALL the factors listed together -- war, threat of war (such as the prospect of nuclear war which still exists), famines, epidemics, AND earthquakes... it at least SEEMS like there has been a more pronounced simultaneity, compared to previous centuries.

I'd be interested to see a study that takes all the factors listed and measures whether or not there HAS been a greater concurrence of them, since it is purely an impression an not necessarily fact.
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong »

JohnOnKeyz wrote: That said, I do feel we're close to major changes. For instance, a smaller trigger were the protests in Egypt which inspired others around the globe to do the same. If we get a larger trigger, who knows what will happen! It could be natural or human initiated.
I've been reading lately -- in secular sources, by the way -- that a HUGE crisis IS looming. It's complicated, but I'll be brief:

The only reason the US has been able to weather exploding budget deficits and subsequent borrowing is because the US is the only nation in the world that can pay off these debts by printing money, and THAT is only because the accepted reserve currency in most of the world is still the good ol' US dollar. All purchases of oil from OPEC, for example, are paid for in dollars.

The problem is that this has placed the US in a very precarious position. It's been reported that a secret meeting was held last year by a number of countries, among them China, France, Japan, the OPEC countries, and Russia, where the subject of ending the practice of paying for oil with dollars was discussed. If this became the practice, the consequences for the US, and the world, would be devastating.

The net effect would be that the dollar would cease to be the accepted reserve currency in the world. The govt -- Fed, state, and local -- would be forced to drastically slash budgets, because nobody is going to buy our debt any longer. Interest rates would soar, dramatic deflation would occur, and millions would lose their jobs -- probably without a safety net to help them survive.

I know of at least a couple commentators who believe this could result in the end of America as a free, prosperous society. History shows that in the wake of such a calamity, even in an enlightened and educated society, a ruthless dictator assumes power, and the people go along with him, if he can "make the trains run on time" again

JohnOnKeyz

Post by JohnOnKeyz »

twilightsong wrote: The thrust of the Bible passage as I read it centers on the concurrence of the events listed, not necessarily the frequency.

The characterization of "more" disasters, including earthquakes, as well as "the last 25 years" was MY OWN, not the Bible's, if you read it closely. We need to consider the other factors listed, too -- war, famine, and epidemics. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you take ALL the factors listed together -- war, threat of war (such as the prospect of nuclear war which still exists), famines, epidemics, AND earthquakes... it at least SEEMS like there has been a more pronounced simultaneity, compared to previous centuries.

I'd be interested to see a study that takes all the factors listed and measures whether or not there HAS been a greater concurrence of them, since it is purely an impression an not necessarily fact.
I'm a big fan of weather anomalies, geologic events as well as an avid follower of large scale patterns that could inevitably lead the existence of civilization as we know it one way or the other. Having said that (and if the wording wasn't too erratic to be understood)... I have seen, and felt an underlying unease in regards to the buildup of these events, some natural, but precipitated by mankinds ignorance, and some circumstantial, which just seem to fall at the right place, right time.

One thing I have noticed which seems to outweigh the standard scientific communities brush off, is the fact that centers of population that are hit, seem to be increasing, alarmingly. Before, a tornado might have hit a random trailer park in the midwest somewhere, but more recently, we are hearing of suburban communities being hit. Tornado outbreaks are of course just one cookie in the jar (don't know why I was thinking of that) :lol: but you get the idea. It seems that way more and more.

I began to seriously think about it last year. We got two back to back blizzards, which ran up to 56 inches of snow (over 4 1/2 feet in American measurement). Both nor-easters. Normally, we will get a nor-easter every 4 years, and the largest ones we ever had were about 3 feet which happened twice in my lifetime (I'm 45).

The only way I can resolve this personally, is to think that basically, our luck ran out. For instance, many years of earthquakes haven't hit the San Andreas fault hard enough to cause a large rupture, but the larger ones were north in the pacific towards Alaska, or south of the border in Mexico... but over time, those stresses will build in the population centers, so it is bound to happen, and if this happens in a pattern of similar scale, say, weather events due to changes in the North Atlantic Current, or a global shift of the upper air currents (which are actually related), then close brushes with disaster that were somehow averted, seemingly by luck... are no more and we are in for a hard run.

It would be interesting to see those factors that you mentioned. But I have a sneaking suspicion that those factors ARE being measured, but not available for public dissemination. Just to be clear. I was not denouncing the Bible. I am not religious personally, but I have read a number of religious texts including the Bible. None of them quite fit the path I think is right for me, but they all have some common threads that interest me. ...anyway, back to topic.

I don't think there is any way to really nail down a factual record of events and how they have affected our world, their patterns, and whether they are increasing or decreasing. At least as long as we don't have a non-descript black id card, and are known as #4 and #5 :D
John
(Maryland, USA)

JohnOnKeyz

Post by JohnOnKeyz »

twilightsong wrote:I've been reading lately -- in secular sources, by the way -- that a HUGE crisis IS looming. It's complicated, but I'll be brief:
I believe it.
It's been reported that a secret meeting was held last year by a number of countries, among them China, France, Japan, the OPEC countries, and Russia, where the subject of ending the practice of paying for oil with dollars was discussed. If this became the practice, the consequences for the US, and the world, would be devastating.

The net effect would be that the dollar would cease to be the accepted reserve currency in the world. The govt -- Fed, state, and local -- would be forced to drastically slash budgets, because nobody is going to buy our debt any longer. Interest rates would soar, dramatic deflation would occur, and millions would lose their jobs -- probably without a safety net to help them survive.
Yes, I saw this as well. China especially, was "buying" our debt, and from what I've head, have drastically reduced the amount they are willing to invest, or has decided to halt any further activity. From what I understand, they no longer see it as a worthwhile investment, meaning the risks now outweigh the gains. That is not just bad news. In fact there would be no appropriate way to describe its severity.
I know of at least a couple commentators who believe this could result in the end of America as a free, prosperous society. History shows that in the wake of such a calamity, even in an enlightened and educated society, a ruthless dictator assumes power, and the people go along with him, if he can "make the trains run on time" again
If we blindly follow the governments step-by-step on how to be a free and prosperous society, we are in no way enlightened. We are a herd. Simple as that. Freedom is a pre-requisite to enlightenment. Whether at a personal level or societal level. Our freedom, our ability to support ourselves, our choices as to what we do and how we are in regards to the eyes of society... they have been decreasing for years how. The one thing that both excites and scares me, makes me both apprehensive and hopeful, is that here in America (and I'm sure other countries as well), there will be a limit to what we will take. Then we will step up and take back our freedom in our own revolution. It is happening in the world right now. Soon it will be our turn (regardless of the country you live in, this can apply to every one).

But like all worthwhile lessons. It doesn't become permanent in our minds, bodies and hearts until we hit the bottom first. Then we can really change. The only thing I would like to maintain my awareness of, would be the ability to witness the downfall and rise from the ashes as an observer, an alien as it were. So I can remember it as one of the most significant times in our history with clarity.
John
(Maryland, USA)

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”