[GUI Request] Mixer

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Winter Rat

[GUI Request] Mixer

Post by Winter Rat »

Hi,
I believe that if channel's icons & numbers in the mixer, would be set closer to the center of the channel's stripe, the perception will be much better. Perhaps, numbers should stand at the 1st place. Maybe, icons could be color coded.
What do you think?
Attachments
Future Mixer.png
Something like this.
(54.56 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
Cubase 9.5
Win 8.1 or Win 10 Pro; Intel Core i7-8700K; Gigabyte GA-Z370 HD3P; 16 GB, 3000 MHz; GeForce GTX 1050.

sonicstate

Re: [GUI Request] Mixer

Post by sonicstate »

Yup, I like your idea. Or, icon and number could be aligned left, under buttons. In any case, they ahould be together.

Now icon is left, and number is right, and that's opposite from what eye expects. Eye is drawn towards number from left channel, and icon from right, which is not right. Number and icoun for each channel would be better together.
Cubase Pro 8.5, Win 64bit, i7-4770K @4.3GHz, ASUS Z87-K, 16Gb, RME HDSP 9652, BCF 2000, BCR 2000, Novation Launchpad Mini, M-Audio TriggerFinger, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32, Korg NanoKey, plenty outboard synths and fx, 24ch Studiomaster mixer, Yamaha NS10s, Dynaudio BM5, Samson Rubicon R8a Ribbon, etc...

studiodaz

Post by studiodaz »

cubase mixer.png
(65.68 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
or like this
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

cubawak

Post by cubawak »

studiodaz wrote:
cubase mixer.png
or like this
Did you manipulate it?!? Or it's possible ......?
Cubase Pro 10.5.0 64 bit
WaveLab 9.5 64 bit
Windows Pro 10 64bit
Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor
Universal Audio Apollo X4
Roland RD-2000
MASHINE MK3
CH, QC, AI
ADAM A77X
Avantone MixCubes

Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Or just simply return it to the way channel classes were defined in C5. And this time....make it a Preference.
Attachments
screenshot_022.jpg
(56.8 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
Dual 6 Core 2.66 MacPro/48GB RAM • OSX 10.14.6 • Cubase 10.5.20 • MOTU 424e/2408mk3 • 2-MOTU MIDI Express 128's

Oh.....so this is the Cornfield?....

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat »

Hi, cubawak.
Sure it's "handmade" :)

Weasel. Yea, preferences is the proper way for GUI. Albeit, I like C6 more than C5, because I think that icons are more informative and the color button is unnecessary.

studiodaz I don't think that "icons under buttons" is a good idea. If the icon is right under the name, so when you look at the name of a channel, you can catch it's type, but in your case you must move your eyes up to see the type.

BTW I'd like the names of the channels are centered as well, when possible (if they're shorter than the name field). I've tried to do that manually with extra spaces, but then the names of the tracks are not aligned.
Cubase 9.5
Win 8.1 or Win 10 Pro; Intel Core i7-8700K; Gigabyte GA-Z370 HD3P; 16 GB, 3000 MHz; GeForce GTX 1050.

Blackout

Post by Blackout »

i sure prefer your Fader knobs Winter. they are from Nuendo. i always thought the Nuendo slider knobs looked better than the rounded ones on Cubase. Cubase fader knobs look like plastic push-on ones...the more Square Nuendo ones look like more professional metal.

would be nice to be able to choose to have square fader knobs in the preferences alongside other mixer gui settings.
Cubase 8.5.30 / UAD2 Quad + UAD2 Solo / Win7 x64 SP1 / Asus X99 Deluxe II MB / 12 Gig DDR3 Samsung Ram / NVIDIA GT730 /Steinberg UR824 Audio Interface x2

Sonik

Post by Sonik »

Winter Rat wrote:Hi,
I believe that if channel's icons & numbers in the mixer, would be set closer to the center of the channel's stripe, the perception will be much better. Perhaps, numbers should stand at the 1st place. Maybe, icons could be color coded.
What do you think?
I like the idea. On big projects we've to have more visual info about different tracks...
Macbook Pro i9 32gb|Studio One 5|Protools 2020.5|Cubase Pro 10.5.20|Wavelab 10.0.40|Logic X|Apollo Quad|4xUAD-2 (24 core)
Manley Massive Passive|Thermionic Phoenix Mastering Plus|Maselec MLA-2|API 2500|Avalon 737sp|Summit TLA-100A|Distressor EL8-X|Apogee Symphony||Euphonix McMix x2|Dangerous Music 2 Bus LT|ATC SCM20 ASL Pro|Amphion One18|
Halion Sonic 3|Komplete12 Ultimate|Stylus RMX|Trilian|Omnisphere 2.6|VSL Strings|EW Pianos|ReFx Nexus 3|AirMusicTech|Sylenth|Predator|Kick 2|Serum|ANA2|Korg Collection 2
UAD|Waves|Soundtoys|Melodyne|Softube|Brainworx|PluginAlliance|Fabfilter|Sonnox|Eventide|Oeksound

Tomateck

Post by Tomateck »

Don't like your ideas, sorry. C6 mixer is more functional for me. (imho).

The feature i hope for mixer is the automatic name scrolling when pointing mouse on track name (in the same way is on project window).
Cubase 6, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, iMac Intel i3 3Ghz, 12GB ram.

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

Tomateck wrote:Don't like your ideas, sorry. C6 mixer is more functional for me...
+ 1 !
yup, this is so urgly! And I hate the toyish bubblegumish colors in SX3!
I also like the C6 coloring method. Absolutely.

By the way, Steinberg (!) had built in "color code the fader caps" years ago in V-Stack:

= not too colorful, professional, very slick, great clear view!

And that would be my personal favorite.I choose this one. With user adjustments in the preferences.
Also the channel type symbols having matching colors. Many 'real' mixers have colored fader caps for different channel types.
The most important thing, is a clearly visible difference.

8-)
Last edited by Centralmusic on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

Tomateck

Post by Tomateck »

Centralmusic wrote:
Tomateck wrote:Don't like your ideas, sorry. C6 mixer is more functional for me...
+ 1 !
yup, this is so urgly! And I hate the toyish bubblegumish colors in SX3!
I also like the C6 coloring method. Absolutely.

By the way, Steinberg (!) had built in "color code the fader caps" years ago in V-Stack:

= not too colorful, professional, very slick, great clear view!

And that would be my personal favorite.I choose this one. With user adjustments in the preferences.
Also the channel type symbols having matching colors. Many 'real' mixers have colored fader caps for different channel types.
The most important thing, is a clearly visible difference.

8-)
very useful suggestion!
Cubase 6, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, iMac Intel i3 3Ghz, 12GB ram.

Blackout

Post by Blackout »

+1 for the fader color caps
Cubase 8.5.30 / UAD2 Quad + UAD2 Solo / Win7 x64 SP1 / Asus X99 Deluxe II MB / 12 Gig DDR3 Samsung Ram / NVIDIA GT730 /Steinberg UR824 Audio Interface x2

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat »

Hi, Centralmusic.
What's urgly, man? Have you read my post? Have you seen it? Take a look at the bottoms of the channel stripes at your picture. See the channels names and numbers of the buses are centered? That's all I want in C6's mixer to be changed.
Cubase 9.5

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

Hi Winter,

yes, I have seen that. Sorry, I mean the urgly SX3 GUI.
For me I prefer fader color caps, because it´s clearer for the eyes than your version.
But i like centered names and numbers! And that was also a long-cherished wish of me.
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat »

Centralmusic, frankly saying, whether the colored caps or colored horizontal stripes (we have now) is not a big deal for me, but all the rest must be centered :D
Cubase 9.5

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

you win!
:lol:

patcub

Post by patcub »

As much as I like C6 mixer's design, I find the icons too small to identify channel types. V stack's design is nice with those caps matching the Icon color at the bottom left of the channel. It's neat and useful.

More color options is the way to go in my opinion.

Slightly off topic but I love the way you can navigate in the current mixer by ctrl-clicking in the busses name, this is genius idea, please SB do not remove this behaviour ever. Thanks.

andyjh

Post by andyjh »

Weasel wrote:Or just simply return it to the way channel classes were defined in C5. And this time....make it a Preference.
Yes - perfect idea, and Steinberg have the code for that already, so easily done
Master: Windows 10 64-bit / i7 7820X / 32GB RAM / Dual Monitors / Steinberg UR824 / MOTU Midi Express 128
Slave: Windows 7 64-bit / i7 / 16Gb RAM / Dual monitors / Emu 1820m. Networked via VE Pro
Cubase Pro 10, Absolute 3 (Halion 6), Wavelab Pro 9.0, Dorico Pro 2.1.1
Equipment list: - more than I need : Plug in list:- definitely more than I need

Puma0382

Post by Puma0382 »

patcub wrote:As much as I like C6 mixer's design, I find the icons too small to identify channel types. V stack's design is nice with those caps matching the Icon color at the bottom left of the channel. It's neat and useful.

More color options is the way to go in my opinion.

Slightly off topic but I love the way you can navigate in the current mixer by ctrl-clicking in the busses name, this is genius idea, please SB do not remove this behaviour ever. Thanks.
+1

If someone's good with p/shop, a mock-up (with the C6 mixer and coloured fader-caps/tracktype icons) would be fun to see... Although the whole V-Stack aesthetic I'll agree does seem to work (albeit in a dated '3D look' kind of way), needs to be seen with the C6 mixer for me to be convinced.

Also, +1 for center-justifying the labels - nice.
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.5.20, WaveLab Pro v10.0.40, Studio One v4.6.1, Dorico Elements v3.5.10, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

Post by Guest »

What would be a compromise solution?

Colored fader caps with centered (scrolling) text and channel numbers, watermarked channels with channel icons under the button strip.

Come to think of it, does there really need to be 2 rows of information for each channel?

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

BTW...
but please steinberg! NEVER such ugly thingy like in PT = yuk:

because more than 50-60 colorful tracks of this makes me feel very sick. even if it is clearer for the eyes.
I do NOT want such a extreme colorful toy mixer.

I think, we need other solutions like "color code fader cap" as already mentioned.

We are well on the way with the professional and darker looking c6 - thanks again for C6 Steinberg!

Parrotspain

Post by Parrotspain »

I tried to photoshop it - got quite close I think?
cubaseaudio.jpg
(18.62 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
P
Cubase Pro 10.5.20

Win10 Home 2004. Biostar A960D+ AMD FX8350. 32Gb. SSDs. UR22mk2
Softube Console 1 Mk2: SSL4000e, BCA, ACA, Faderport

studiodaz

Post by studiodaz »

Parrotspain wrote:I tried to photoshop it - got quite close I think?
cubaseaudio.jpg
P
Great Scot I think you have got it.... lol :-)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

What about this - very clear, professional greyish look, only the most necessary:

I think this is a good compromise from any suggestions.

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

And what do you think of this mixer?
looks classy, extensible, easy to operate, sounds good! (including usb and firewire connections)

Last edited by Centralmusic on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”