Why can't I use ASIO and VST plugins in teleconference apps like Zoom?

I kinda get it. I used to work on firewalls for a living. I have not kept up with network engineering in some years and am far from a top tier expert. But the the thing that perplexes me about that limitation is that the firewall should be able to split the traffic into a control connection (which becomes effectively authentication for the data flow) and a data connection.

A firewall maintains a TCP state table of allowed connections, and as long as the control port is in state, the bidirectional data stream ought to be fine, unless the firewall software is just badly written and is just introducing latency in processing the actual flow data, which is probably the case for most SOHO devices.

The lack of ASIO availability in software that calls itself “AV” software is cumbersome, given where we are now. Not just for the interoperability with VST FX, but for latencies. Also of course some people just have like, 40Mbps ISP connections, and the >72ms latency is just inherent to transport there.

I see the “default driver” problem in the massively deployed, business critical apps like Zoom as a more easily resolvable one than the Firewalls or bandwidth issue, because business people had acclimated too much to crappy sounding conferences during a time period where conferencing was only a minority of their time. Now, it is pretty much all their comms.