Bloatware

Has anyone got any suggestions of software programmes that gets rid of the Windows 10 Bloatware ?
It would be nice to have a stripped down version of Windows 10 to run Cubase.

As far as I know there are no “valid” tests that show any benefits of getting rid of pre-installed Microsoft software, none. These items either take up very little CPU time or none at all and therefore don’t harm performance at all. Again; as far as I’ve seen.

So really the questions are ‘What do you mean by bloatware, specifically?’ and ‘In what way are you sure it has an impact on performance?’…

I usually do at minimum this (from an elavated PowerShell prompt):

Get-AppxPackage *officehub* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *solitairecollection* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *bingfinance* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *bingnews* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *bingsports* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *bingweather* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Xbox* | Remove-AppxPackage

I bet infinity dollars none of those have any effect on performance.

I’m with Mattias, most stuff is quite intelligent as to when it runs now, either tries to utilise idle cpu time or doesn’t run unless necessary so it never obstructs the flow of the OS.

There’s more bloat/processing from anti-virus/malware software and cloud backups/dropbox style background apps than what Win 10 has. So really, you’d want to take your machine offline and disable all such features if you were serious about running a super lean OS.

But even then you’ll still suffer from the same bottlenecks of your hardware.

The only significant difference for audio is when you start removing drivers and disabling motherboard features such as Wifi/LAN/GPU to bring the system round trip latency down as a whole. And that’s something you have to manage yourself, no software knows what you want to keep or disable.

How much did performance improve and how did you measure it?