Steinberg Absolute (new) or Komplete 11 (upgrade)?

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Steinberg Absolute (new) or Komplete 11 (upgrade)?

Post by MattiasNYC »

Since there's still a sale going on, I'm wondering what you would advice comparing the two options. I have Komplete v6 (I think) and the upgrade to 11 is pretty cheap. On the other hand I don't have Absolute of any version so that would be completely new to me.

I don't do a lot of music so getting both would just be too much for me I think. What would you recommend and what are the considerations you see? Usability? Versatility? Integration? Quality?

Any input is welcome.
Nuendo 10.2.2 build 396 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo ::::: RX Post Production Suite 4 / DaVinci Resolve

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Re: Steinberg Absolute (new) or Komplete 11 (upgrade)?

Post by Romantique Tp »

I have both. Since you work in post I think that Absolute 3 would be far more interesting, depending on the job. Halion 6 is a lot more intuitive than Kontakt and is great for sound mangling, and both Halion 6 and the full version of Groove Agent 4 could be used to trigger edited versions of samples, all with their own insert effects.

As for their sounds, Komplete has a nice selection of synths but I like Absolute's acoustic instruments better.

The sounds in Halion and Halion Sonic are almost all different from Halion Sonic SE, and are mostly higher quality versions of sounds from the Yamaha Motif XS. While they're not super realistic, they have a nice "plug and play" quality to them. Halion Sonic 2 and 3 also introduced more instruments besides those, which can be identified by their macro interface.

The content from Groove Agent 4 is also all different from Groove Agent SE 4, and overall I like the stock synth drum kits a lot better than the ones in Battery 4. The paid expansions definitely sound better than the stock Acoustic Agent kits though. The Vintage Kit sounds the best out of the stock ones.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC »

Thanks a bunch mate. I appreciate the input. I'll take it into consideration.
Nuendo 10.2.2 build 396 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo ::::: RX Post Production Suite 4 / DaVinci Resolve

TEEF

Post by TEEF »

I've had issues with Native Instruments. Mainly the abandoning of certain instruments. My big gripe is my new machine could not install the instruments. Backwards compatibility is a no-go.
TEEF

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC »

I know TEEF. I liked some of the older instruments and they're now gone.

I ended up not getting Absolute for various reasons, and I guess I have to make a call on Komplete before the end of today. Not sure yet.

The other gripe I have with many of these 'collections' is that they seem to use the same 'modules' that make up their instruments. I thought about this at the very early stages of Komplete - I think I started with Komplete v2 - when I started seeing and/or hearing that the same distortion module was found in different instruments. At least that's what it sounded like to me. So if you have some sort of synth component in Pro 5 or the B3 organ, it really felt like it came from or was included in Reaktor.

And then that's what it felt like as the collection grew. And it makes complete sense; just make the individual components and include them in different instruments and market those as 'more different' than they maybe are. Not that they don't have value, just that there's a similarity of sound that I experience. When I listen to the demos of Komplete instruments that's what strikes me. They 'all' have the same feel to me.

TEEF

Post by TEEF »

Totally agree. I have since migrated to halion. Halion is not as intuitive as kontakt but is a lot deeper as far as a sample player goes if thats your mainstay for sound design.
TEEF

vintagevibe

Post by vintagevibe »

I have both Absolute 3 and Komplete 11 Ultimate. In a broad sense they check different boxes for me. I think the Steinberg stuff is more “vibey” and contemporary sounding whereas the NI stuff, at least the libraries that I use, are more clean and ultra realistic. Just my opinion and experience. YMMV
Windows 8.1/64, Intel i7 2600K, 16G RAM, 6TB 7200RPM storage, and bunch of software.

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan »

This is a tough one because I would say Absolute covers more types of sounds, etc., and is cheaper BUT Kontakt has some very highly articulated and detailed stuff. For instance the Absolute doesn't have any bass that are nearly as detailed as the Scarbee stuff. And the new symphony essentials have more articulations than HSO. But I agree with others than I can find a synth sound close to what I am looking for in HALion and edit it slightly if needed.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC »

Sorry for the necro here... I decided to wait and now I'm again considering an upgrade.

Question:

Is there anything in Absolute Collection 4 that corresponds to the instruments in Komplete 12 Ultimate that are focusing on "rises", "hits" and also "Thrill"?

I'm basically looking at the Komplete bundle and my opinions from the past still stand, but with the sale going on specifically those tools seem to be useful to me in post - being able to quickly and easily add (generic) rises and hits, and definitely add something like "thrill" real quick to create tension.

Does Absolute has something along those lines?

dr

Post by dr »

I have both - get Komplete 12 Ultimate way more options

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”