Cubase 11

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
kostal

Re: Cubase 11

Post by kostal »

Musicmould wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:25 am
cparmerlee wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:30 pm
AND IF STEINBERG OFFERED SPECIAL PRICING FOR EXISTING CUBASE USERS -- I would be more inclined to buy Wavelab and use the more conventional mastering workflow.
The funny thing is that Studio One with it's mastering suite is cheaper than buying Wavelab :mrgreen:
Yes, but, to be fair, Wavelab is a very complex audio editing and mastering suite. For example, a Distressor hardware compressor is also almost 4 times more expensive than Studio One. And Studio One comes with many free compressor plugins. But would that be a fair comparison? Some UAD channel strip or reverb plugins are more expensive than Studio One. Is that a fair comparison?

I know what you’re trying to say though. If S1 handles all your mastering and editing needs, or for that matter Cubase, then that’s awesome. But Wavelab is not a silly program. It’s got a certain value for many professionals.

Now, if you compared Pro Tools with Cubase or S1, then that indeed would be funny 😄.

Musicmould

Post by Musicmould »

kostal wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:22 am

If S1 handles all your mastering and editing needs, or for that matter Cubase, then that’s awesome. But Wavelab is not a silly program. It’s got a certain value for many professionals.

Now, if you compared Pro Tools with Cubase or S1, then that indeed would be funny 😄.
Oh, I'm definitely not saying that it's a silly program but the fact that Studio One gives you Mastering, DDP, Red Book CD burning, digital release and the majority of the features of Wavelab Pro, for free, is worth noting. Sure, they don't give you all of the features but the majority of people today would most likely find it adequate. Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by Musicmould on Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
iMac Pro | 64Gb Ram | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB | macOS 10.14.6 | Cubase Pro 10.5.20 | Luna | Pro Tools | Ableton Live | Logic Pro X | Studio One | Melodyne Studio | Revoice Pro | VSL Pro | UAD Apollo 8p+16 | 2xUAD Octo | Softube Console 1 | Motu Midi Express XT | Various drummachines, microphones, hardware synths & fx and way too many plugins |

"Without music, life would be a mistake".

cparmerlee

Post by cparmerlee »

Musicmould wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:55 pm
kostal wrote:

If S1 handles all your mastering and editing needs, or for that matter Cubase, then that’s awesome. But Wavelab is not a silly program. It’s got a certain value for many professionals.

Oh, I'm definitely not saying that it's a silly program but the fact that Studio One gives you Mastering, DDP, Red Book CD burning, digital release and the majority of the features of Wavelab Pro, for free, is worth noting. Sure, they don't give you all of the features but the majority of people today would most likely find it adequate. Just my 2 cents.
Right. I don't think anybody is trying to say Wavelab is a bad product or not worth the money to somebody ho is going to use the full feature set regularly. My point with this entire discussion is that I would like to see Cubase incorporate an integrated mastering capability that is more-or-less seamless with the main Cubase product. I think Presonus gut it right with the mastering mode in S1. Is that everything a professional full-time mastering engineer would need or want? Certainly not. But not all of us are Grammy-nominated producers. Not all of us work only on material that is intended for widespread commercial distribution. Personally I produce 3 or 4 small things a week. They aren't distributed to the masses, but I want them to sound as good as I can get them in an hour or two. I would really appreciate a Cubase workflow that makes it easy for me to separate the mastering process from the mixing process without adding a lot of extra steps and extra housekeeping. That's exactly what S1 does.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that Wavelab has always been essentially an independent one-man project. It shows. It seems to me that the Cubase product line would be well served by having the basics of mastering incorporated into the mainline Cubase product much like Presonus does. If they wanted to package that as a $79 "Wavelab basics" add-on (as long as it is well integrated with Cubase), I think a lot of people would buy that, and it would probably also lead to future sales of the full Wavelab product.
Dorico 3, Cubase 10.5, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 audio i/f
http://sonocrafters.com/

kostal

Post by kostal »

Musicmould wrote:
kostal wrote:

Yes, you’re right. Cubase should introduce some of those features as S1 is its direct competition.

kostal

Post by kostal »

cparmerlee wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:17 pm
Musicmould wrote:
kostal wrote:

Right. I don't think anybody is trying to say Wavelab is a bad product or not worth the money to somebody ho is going to use the full feature set regularly. My point with this entire discussion is that I would like to see Cubase incorporate an integrated mastering capability that is more-or-less seamless with the main Cubase product. I think Presonus gut it right with the mastering mode in S1. Is that everything a professional full-time mastering engineer would need or want? Certainly not. But not all of us are Grammy-nominated producers. Not all of us work only on material that is intended for widespread commercial distribution. Personally I produce 3 or 4 small things a week. They aren't distributed to the masses, but I want them to sound as good as I can get them in an hour or two. I would really appreciate a Cubase workflow that makes it easy for me to separate the mastering process from the mixing process without adding a lot of extra steps and extra housekeeping. That's exactly what S1 does.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that Wavelab has always been essentially an independent one-man project. It shows. It seems to me that the Cubase product line would be well served by having the basics of mastering incorporated into the mainline Cubase product much like Presonus does. If they wanted to package that as a $79 "Wavelab basics" add-on (as long as it is well integrated with Cubase), I think a lot of people would buy that, and it would probably also lead to future sales of the full Wavelab product.
I’m all for it. Hopefully Steinberg brings some of these features in Cubase!

Musicmould

Post by Musicmould »

To clarify: Presonus has three versions of Studio One - Prime, Artist and Professional.
The project page (Mastering, DDP, Red Book CD burning, digital release) is only available in Studio One Professional.
iMac Pro | 64Gb Ram | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB | macOS 10.14.6 | Cubase Pro 10.5.20 | Luna | Pro Tools | Ableton Live | Logic Pro X | Studio One | Melodyne Studio | Revoice Pro | VSL Pro | UAD Apollo 8p+16 | 2xUAD Octo | Softube Console 1 | Motu Midi Express XT | Various drummachines, microphones, hardware synths & fx and way too many plugins |

"Without music, life would be a mistake".

cparmerlee

Post by cparmerlee »

Musicmould wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:19 am
To clarify: Presonus has three versions of Studio One - Prime, Artist and Professional.
The project page (Mastering, DDP, Red Book CD burning, digital release) is only available in Studio One Professional.
Right. And S1 Pro retails for $280 complete while Cubase pro -- without any mastering mode (other than individual VSTs you can use to roll your own mastering) -- retails for $580.

I'm not saying S1 is the same capability as Cubase, but it seems to me that mastering is an area of the Cubase value proposition that is out of line with the competition.
Dorico 3, Cubase 10.5, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 audio i/f
http://sonocrafters.com/

SparkyNZ

Post by SparkyNZ »

+ Allow Lane number to be edited in Project Browser (quicker to move an audio clip from Lane 100 to Lane 5 for example)
+ Allow colouring of individual entries in Markers editor - I want to be able to highlight different things in there
+ Implement Undo/Redo changes to automation - nothing worse than accidentally changing a volume and not being able to undo that change.. but then you try Ctrl-Z anyway and that undoes something that you don't want undone instead. Sigh
+ Make the + and - buttons on the zoom slider bigger - how often have you tried zooming in/out one step and the whole view zooms to max or min because the slider bar is clicked instead

Geppastro

Post by Geppastro »

SparkyNZ wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:43 am
...+ Make the + and - buttons on the zoom slider bigger - how often have you tried zooming in/out one step and the whole view zooms to max or min because the slider bar is clicked instead
+10000000
Paolo (Cubase user since 1995 -> Cubase Audio on Atari Falcon)
Hardware (desktop): i7-880 3.06 Ghz ; 16 Gig RAM ; Asus P7H55-M/USB3 ; Echo Gina 24 PCI sound card ; ESI M8U XL 8x8 midi interface ; Steinberg CMC-TP.
Software (desktop): : Windows 10 Enterprise (64 bit) / Cubase Pro 10.5 v10.5.20 (64 bit) / WaveLab Pro 9.5 v9.5.50 (64 bit) / HALion 6 v6.1.0 (64 bit) / HALion Symphonic Orchestra / Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D.
Software (laptop Sony VAIO i5-4200U 2.29 Ghz ; 8 Gig RAM): Windows 10 Home (64 bit) / Cubase Elements 9.5 v9.5.50 (64 bit).

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

SparkyNZ wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:43 am

+ Implement Undo/Redo changes to automation - nothing worse than accidentally changing a volume and not being able to undo that change.. but then you try Ctrl-Z anyway and that undoes something that you don't want undone instead. Sigh
+ Make the + and - buttons on the zoom slider bigger - how often have you tried zooming in/out one step and the whole view zooms to max or min because the slider bar is clicked instead
Could you please write a step-by-step reproduction of this? Based on your description, this should be working. Changing automation volume can be undone using undo function. If you mean Mix Console>left zone>mix history, then yes this is something that needs to be fixed so automation is included when undoing in mix history.

As far as zoom sliders, I think there has been plenty of feature requests for this.

Keep in mind a portion of users, including myself, never touch any of those sliders. This is because all of those slider functions (if you find any that are not please post them) are achieved via key command, Metagrid, or even mouse button functions (sometimes in combination with modifiers sft, alt, crt keys.) I think after a few initial months/years of using Cubase regularly, user desire to improve workflow speed functions trumps any physical mouse-over manipulation of any of those zoom controls.
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

keto88

Post by keto88 »

Some of the items are so dirty hacks that I don't want them in Cubase like never, fore example stereo plugins at mono tracks

lyric8

Post by lyric8 »

Slicing In Sampler Track Yes Please

mozizo

Post by mozizo »

So do you think cubase 11 will have something special or just some improvments?
cubase 10.5 pro ,halion 6 GA5 HS2,HSO,Dark planet,neosoul keys.
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win10 8gb
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6-Kawai Mp4-Korg PA4X-MOXF8
cubasis,cubase ic pro

shiningstarswsj

Post by shiningstarswsj »

More scales than the ones in Cubase, can't just be limited to the existing ones.

IMachine

Post by IMachine »

A dedicated Cubase controller with 8 or 16 motorized faders please!
p8p67 deluxe, Windows 7.5 64 bit, Edirol UA-1000, 8 GB RAM, UAD

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC »

shiningstarswsj wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:22 pm
More scales than the ones in Cubase, can't just be limited to the existing ones.
Pretty sure scales exist outside of a DAW... and that you can use any scale you want in Cubase...
Nuendo 10.2.2 build 396 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo ::::: RX Post Production Suite 4 / DaVinci Resolve

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

Just watched the Studio One 5 reveal, interesting the amount of catching up they're trying with Cubase (Control Room, External hardware integration, Score editor etc.) It's still behind on many levels for me, even though it's a little slicker to use and has some cool features.

So C11 will be interesting, to see where they go.

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

just get rid of 3 SAME pop-up menus on ALT,CTRL,SHIFT on right mouse click. add more tools to modifiers
Win10 x64;Core i5-4670;16GB RAM;SSD system HDD library;Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB
Cubase (always last update)

alvarraba

Post by alvarraba »

VARISPEED would be a nice feature to have and I see it has been asked for a long time.
A way to specify semitones as well as speed % increase or decrease as in Logic Pro would come in handy too.

The elastique pro tape workaround is complicated when recording high pitch background vocals because it does not affect the MIDI tracks, only the audio tracks, so you have to use a tempo and pitch shifting calculator, transpose the MIDI tracks also, record vocals and then go back.
And in the event that you have a tempo track with a rallentando for example it is impossible to use.

VARISPEED IN CUBASE 11 = HEAVEN

matjones

Post by matjones »

+1 for varispeed
Cubase 10.5.12 Asus Z390-Plus, i9 9900 @ (3.7) 5GHz, 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel/Fusion, UAD2 Octo/Solo/Quad, UA6176, Neve 8801/8803, Loads of plugs, WL10, Melodyne Studio 5, Arturia VC7, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG, Austrian Audio, Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

skank

Post by skank »

Steinberg if you're listening.

Simple drag and drop of arrangement window parts to and from the media library/folders – for recall later at any point.

I won't go into just how badly, but I have wanted this for years.

It would help with arrangement declutter no end.
This is not what you think it is./

shiningstarswsj

Post by shiningstarswsj »

MattiasNYC wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:57 pm
shiningstarswsj wrote:
Pretty sure scales exist outside of a DAW... and that you can use any scale you want in Cubase...
I know they exist outside of the daw. I was just asking for more options like micro tuning on the scales. So that we can have them within cubase by default. Not having to look for third party solutions.

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC »

Ah...
Nuendo 10.2.2 build 396 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo ::::: RX Post Production Suite 4 / DaVinci Resolve

kostal

Post by kostal »

shiningstarswsj wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:20 pm
MattiasNYC wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:57 pm
shiningstarswsj wrote:
I know they exist outside of the daw. I was just asking for more options like micro tuning on the scales. So that we can have them within cubase by default. Not having to look for third party solutions.
You can actually do microtonal tuning using a MIDI plugin in Cubase! You can also have VariAudio follow MIDI.

Where do you want these scales and what are you trying to achieve that you can't in Cubase at the moment?

worshiptuned

Post by worshiptuned »

If I load a template of a new projects as "rock production"....the stereo out is there in the project window.
But if I load an empty project and I add the tracks, the Stereo Out is in the mixer but not in the project window.
Similarly when I add another Stereo Out to any project this appears on the mixer, but doesn't appear under the tracks on the project window...
If I make an automation on the new stereo out, then this appears on the project window too, and I use this trick. Is there any other way??
Maybe is a good feature to add on Cubase 11. When you add a stereo out to the project, it should appear also in the project window not only in the mixer. Thanks

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”