Audioplayback problems Nuendo 6 W8.1

Hi!

I recently bough a new computer and now i have strange playbackproblems.

When I import new files in timeline i only hear the other track and the other one only pop and click. Both tracks look ok; i can see the waveform. And I can hear the tracks in the sample editor, but for some reason the other one won’t play in timeline. And if i process them, like with Izotope Rx, i can hear the “mute” clip in timeline but the other one will only pop and click.

I was thinking that my project harddrive was broken because diskperformance was sometimes clipping like a madman, and I tried to move the project to other harddrive but that didn’t help.

Nuendo 6.07
Windows 8.1
GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI
Intel Core i5-4690k 3.50GHz LGA1150 BOX
Kingston Hyper-X 16Gb
Kingston Hyper X 240GB x2
Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2

viinikellari,

We need more information.
What is the original source of the files you are importing?
are the from another DAW, Audio CD, ???
what bit and frame rate are they?
what are you project settings ?
How are you importing them (what functions are you using in N6) ?

Thanks,
Brain

What is the original source of the files you are importing?

->from Sound Devices 788 field recorder

what bit and frame rate are they?

->25fr 24bit 48khz .wav

what are you project settings ?

->25fr 24bit 48khz

How are you importing them (what functions are you using in N6)

->First I imported them in pool and from the pool to the timeline. I also tried file->import->audio file but the result was same.

I also tried play the clips in same track but the “mute” one stay “mute” and the other one will play fine. I also created new tracks for the audio but that didn’t help. I also imported the files from the SD788 again but that didn’t help. I restarted everything but it didn’t help.

1. have you tried wav files from another source?
  2. maybe you could upload 1 file from the Sound Devices 788 to this post so it can be tested by other users ?
  3. have a look at the wav files using some file utility
  4. have you imported these files into any other program ? how were the results?

Thanks,
Brain

1. have you tried wav files from another source?

Yes, i have tried sounds from soundlibrary and it’s the same result; some audiofiles play nicely and some don’t

1. maybe you could upload 1 file from the Sound Devices 788 to this post so it can be tested by other users ?

I’m sorry but it’s secret stuff and my producer will fire me if I post something online

1. have a look at the wav files using some file utility

No I haven’t. Can you recommend some software?

1. have you imported these files into any other program ? how were the results?

Yes I have. And they worked fine.

I think that there is some very mysterios problem with my computer. I ran some hard drive tests and result were fine.

1. can you record something not top secret on the 788 and post it?
  2. maybe post your Nuendo project (without audio) so we can see it we spot anything in the setup. or combine with the step above by including a non to secret audio file from the 788 & the npr file.

what audio interface are you using?
you didn’t say are you new to Nuendo?

Thanks,
Brain

Using a 788 almost on a daily basis, and never had any problem.

Fredo

Using a 788 almost on a daily basis, and never had any problem.

Yep, i had no problems before new computer.

what audio interface are you using?

Focusrite Saffire pro 40

you didn’t say are you new to Nuendo?

I have worked with nuendo from 2008. And this is first time i had problems :frowning:

Here is a testproject that i build up from my sound library. There is a four tracks; first one played ok, second one was just pop’s and clik’s and the third one sounded like white noise and the track number four didn’t say anything.

Hi,

I donloaded the project, and the project iscompletely empty.
No tracks, no audio, nothing.

Fredo

viinikellari,

As Fredo said the npr was empty (no tracks) but I did find files in the Audio folder, so I set up some mono & stereo tracks, imported your audio to the appropriate type of track and … I find nothing wrong with the audio files. All this tells me is that the files you uploaded are fine. I cannot say if your project (or template) has problems. That would have been part of why I suggested uploading an npr, to see if we could identify a problem with the projects setup.

But, Given what you said in your first post, I am suspicious of your install, whether it’s with N6.0.7 or the driver for your Focusrite Saffire pro 40.
ooohhh… In this link I just saw this morning …

they talk about firewire issues with Windows 8.1
1 of the users solved his problem by purchasing a pcie firewire card with a TI chip.
Perhaps this is the issue?

Let us know what you find.

Brain

Okei, good to know that there has been some problems with w8.1 and FireWire. First i will install nuendo again. If that doesen’t help i will borrow usb-interface from my friend test my setup with that. And if everything works fine it’s the FireWire.

Reinstalling Nuendo didn’t help. And i tested Nuendo with Scarlett 18i8 and the problems were same. I have no i idea what i could test next.

And if i use my windows-disk as a projectdisk Nuendo and project will work.

Do you mean, if you run the Nuendo and your project off your boot drive everything works, but if you run Nuendo of the boot drive and the project off another drive then it does not work ???

If this is the case, I would be suspicious about the project drive or the computer port it is connected to.
If this were a windows-7 or earlier I would ask you to check the bios settings. Can you actually check bios in Win-8 ? I saw somewhere that Win-8 uses a different scheme (depending upon the manufacturer).
Also could the drive be going into standby because of the power settings ???

Are there any permissions issues with using another drive on your system ???

Keep us informed, hopefully we can get this figured out.

Later,
Brain

My windows-disk was in MBR-mode and the other disks were in GPT. So I changed every disk to MBR-mode but that didn’t help. Next I willchange everything in GPT, maybe that will do the trick.