How to convert frame rates on audio files?

Hello,

I’m not even 100% sure if that can be done? I’m on version 6.5 and I need to convert the frame rates on audio files sometimes from 24fps to 25fps or vice versa. Normally I’d use Pro Tools to do so, and I’m wondering if I can do that on Nuendo as that would be really useful so I wouldn’t have to open up Pro Tools and just use one software. Thanks a lot in advances.

Look into the Pull options if you want to re-record, or sync to images with a different framerate.
But basically, it is nothing but a simple timestretch.

25fps => 24 fps = 104,16666666666%
24fps => 25 fps = 96%

Use the Solo Musical stretch algo, and you’ll have one of the best sounding Pulls available these days.

Fredo

I totally agree with that!

Best, Alan

Sorry for bumping this, but is the following table correct?

I’m asking because I’d like to know the difference in pulling down from 25fps to either 24 or 23.976. Fredo, you were talking about going to 23.98 right, not to 24 (from 25)…?

Anyone?

You can use a very usable and great software called TimeFactory 2. It has a framerate converter/calculator in it. Everyone can easily grab a trial demo for frame rate conversions in OS X here:

http://www.zynaptiq.com/fileadmin/resources/timefactory_demo/TF2MacDemo.zip

What would you use in Nuendo if you want to strech 25 to 24 without pitchcorrection. The “Resample” tool? Does it sound good? In “Stretch” tool I can not switch off pitchcorrection, or am I wrong?

Oswald

It would be cool if Nuendo had an option to automatically choose the correct settings for us.
It happens once every couple of years. Enough to forget which algo was the best…

In stretch-tool there’s this elastic-tape-algorithm. This one sounds great, and does not correct pitch. Use it in sound design all the time, no problem to stretch sounds to 500% or higher.

Concerning presets: It of course would be cool to have this %-setting pre-configured. I have to do this kind of conversion on nearly every project I’m in, but sometimes I have to use different software for conversion, and in PT, for example, you have to do the settings opposite-wise. So a preset would be a good reminder.

I am no overall fan of the solo-musical-mode, you can get huge artifacts on some kind of music with it. Especially quiet music or piano-scores are a problem. Since I of course do all the processing on stems, I ended up duplicating the MX-stem several times, and try different pitch-algos for the different cues. Not that much more work-time, but much better results. Elegic Piano-Scores still remain a problem, in between, I mostly use the elastic-tape-mode for them, even if the material gets pitches for that cue. Better than hearing artifacts, imo. Solo-mode is great on the most other stems.

In stretch-tool there’s this elastic-tape-algorithm. This one sounds great, and does not correct pitch. Use it in sound design all the time, no problem to stretch sounds to 500% or higher.

Thanks for the tip.

Oswald

Would pull down be stretching? And pull up compressing? Does anyone knows how to use the resample tool to “stretch” or compress from 2398 fps to 24? is it the right way? I have a 2398 video hour long stereo mix that needs to be turn into 24 fps for a dcp and then a 25 version for a tv channel. I know the n I would have to use the time stretch and pitch , but someone was talking that the first conversion shold be done with the resample tool…I really dont know and need help. I am opening another thread but thought maybe someone knows here Thanks!!