Batch Processor Renaming and metadata Issues

Daved, I’m glad you tried Izotope because I didn’t realize it could read or write WAV ID3 metadata.

I tried it myself with an HD Tracks 96K 24 bit ALAC in the RX4 batch processor to WAV, and found that RX4 doesn’t transfer all the metadata (picture, album artist), like XLD does. XLD and Mediahuman also build WAV List Info metadata from the ALAC in the process (in addition to filling the ID3), which is useful (and apparently standard in making WAV metadata from ID3 or MP4 input only) because many programs don’t read WAV ID3. I haven’t checked if Wavelab does this from files with only ID3, but it should if it doesn’t. RX4 should too, but it doesn’t.

Alxo, RX4 made a 32bit float file (from a 24 bit source) when I specified “sample format from original file”, which seems like a bug. But the biggest difference was that XLD was much faster than Izotope (ymmv), and yet the WAV output files were all identical according to the Wavelab File Comparator when they were all made correctly at 24 bit. (RX4, XLD, Mediahuman WAV output files all identical).

XLD’s a little hard to figure out at first, but if you have a chance to try it out, I’d recommend it. MediaHuman has fewer features. But they were both made specifically for dealing with metadata and conversion.

On Windows, I’d go with Foobar for these ALAC converts. To me, it’s sort of the the XLD equivalent on Windows for features and speed, metadata, conversion, re-naming.