Save & recall montage workspace layouts to a network

Having recommended this, I should say there are cautions about symlinks on the Internet. The most significant being the warning to never create a link to a file or folder that’s inside a folder that’s already linked. They say it will cause terrible problems. They didn’t say why.

The only other things I’ve found mentioned are backup and antivirus so I would Google your backup program or antivirus program along with symbolic link to see if there’s anything to be aware of. I think most backup programs ignore symlinks and don’t even back them up. And antivirus might scan the target as well as the link. I’ve had Norton 360 Antivirus and Backup with my link and never noticed a problem.

There’s one horror story online about Microsoft Robocopy and an infinite loop link pointing back to itself, but even though the writer titled it Symbolic Link I think he was actually talking about a built in Windows Junction Link, “Application Data”. But it only affected his backup drive, not his original drive.

I would recommend trying it with test files and folders first. I don’t think I’d link to a whole drive, I’d just keep it down to the necessary folder or folders. The symbolic links can just be deleted to get rid of them without affecting the target or anything else, but you can test that yourself as well.