Quick Question regard Wavelab and Wavelab Elements

All topics on WaveLab 8 and WaveLab Elements 8
laidbacklaidup

Re: Quick Question regard Wavelab and Wavelab Elements

Post by laidbacklaidup »

Ah. Then I think I must've renewed the eLicenser software, not the the eLicense license itself.

laidbacklaidup

Post by laidbacklaidup »

Apologies

laidbacklaidup

Post by laidbacklaidup »

Arjan P wrote:
laidbacklaidup wrote:I've just upgraded the eLicenser version on my Studio PC to version 6.7.1.8151 - which I believe is the final XP installation.
There is no final XP version. You have to understand that as long as you renew licenses on your physical USB-key, you'll have to keep udating the eLicenser anywhere you use the key. It may work now, until you upgrade to Wavelab 9 in the future - the software has no knowledge of newer versions until you update it.
OK...

This is what I updated today.
http://www.elicenser.net/en/download_archives.html

eLicenser Control Center for Windows - last installer to support Windows XP and Vista

Windows
Version: 6.7.1.8151
Size: 33 MB
Release: July 14th, 2014
eLicenser: USB- and Soft-eLicenser
Supported operating systems: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3,
Windows Vista (32/64-bit), Windows 7 (32/64-bit), Windows 8 (32/64-bit), Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit)

But this isnt what you meant then?

Arjan P

Post by Arjan P »

It seems I was a bit too fast to say there is no final XP version. Apparently support for XP has stopped with this last version.. Though it still is rather recent (14 July 2014), I'm afraid you may have a problem with WL6 on XP when your license on the USB-key changes to a different version number. Although it could be that this final version has a special way to foresee higher version licenses. Maybe PG can shed some more light on it?
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab 10.0.40 | Cubase 10.0.60 | HALion 6.0 | Win10 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 - SoundByte Studio

laidbacklaidup

Post by laidbacklaidup »

Cheers Arjan

PG, could you please confirm this. Thank you in advance.

PG

Post by PG »

Confirm what exactly?
Philippe

laidbacklaidup

Post by laidbacklaidup »

Morning Philippe

I've updated the eLicenser software to the version above - the last version for my XP PC. I'm running WaveLab 6.1 on that.

I want to keep wL6 running on that studio PC.

I've bought a new Windows 8 laptop and need to run WaveLab on it so I'm going to upgrade to 8.5.

Will I still be able to use WaveLab 6 on the studio PC as well as run WaveLab 8.5 on my Windows 8 laptop?

Thank you

PG

Post by PG »

Yes. Simply don't change anything on your WaveLab 6 setup anymore (no update).
Philippe

laidbacklaidup

Post by laidbacklaidup »

Brilliant. Thank you and thanks to you all.

Will upgrade today.

dj0333

Post by dj0333 »

laidbacklaidup wrote:Thank you so much MrSoundman for taking the time to write such a detailed answer because it's made me think again now. Your point about retaining my investment is a very good one so thank you so much. So it brings me to one more question if you don't mind. The laptop I bought is this one... Will it manage WL ok (being in mind my light use of the features)
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Lenovo_G ... ersion.asp

Thanks so much again for your time and thanks also to Markino and Arjan for your thoughts too.
MrSoundman wrote:Two big things you should be mindful of:

1. The jump from 6 to 7 (and 8) is huge in terms of the GUI ... it's almost a different application, so be prepared to spend a lot of time scratching your head (and hair pulling!). Most things are similar but there are some new concepts to get your head around which can be frustrating for a while. Most of the kerfuffle about this has died down in the meantime, but personally I think the new GUI is well worth any initial frustration -- and I'm still learning! PG is very responsive to user concerns and is here on the forum most days, 8.5 is a great improvement on the initial 7 release and getting better with each update.

2. WaveLab Elements 8 has one potentially serious limitation for radio/dialogue work: the montage is limited to 3 tracks (stereo or mono). However, as you say you only need 2-3 stereo tracks, you should be OK. Even if you did occasionally need more, you might be able to get around this by bouncing to intermediate tracks.

Other issues that may influence your decision:

-- You can run WLE8 without a hardware dongle, which might be useful seeing as you're going to be using a laptop. You can later transfer the license to a hardware dongle and install the application on as many computers as you wish, but it will only run on the computer with the dongle. You can't, however, go the other way and transfer a dongle license to a "soft" eLicenser.

-- You can't "cross-grade" or "down-grade" from your existing WL6 to WLE8 ... you would basically have to buy WLE8 as well. Against this background, you might want to consider the upgrade from WL6 to WL8 (full version).

-- I agree with the "yucky Windows 8.1" bit .... I have both WL8.5 on Windows 7x64 and WLE8 on a laptop running Windows 8.1. What I can say is that it works flawlessly on Windows 8.1 (which I still hate) so at least the WL6 incompatibility issue goes away. You might however want to try the following: copy the WaveLab 6 folder from your old computer to the laptop, download and install the latest update for the eLicenser, plug in your dongle and try running the WaveLab 6 exe! Completely unsupported, but it just might work .... I believe there's someone on the forum here who does this on Windows 7. It will require that you run it as Administrator, but it may be one possible zero-cost option in your case. (Sorry Steinberg, I'll get me coat .....)

Finally, WaveLab Elements 8 is one of the best value options out there in terms of what you can achieve with it, and I would have no hesitancy recommending it, if you decide to go that route. I still somehow think that you would be well advised to retain your investment in WL6 by upgrading to the full version of WL8, because for relatively little money you get a whole lot more, even if you don't initially make use of all the features.
Dear Your laptop is fine bu still if you wanna change it , then I will recommend to visit here at http://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk because very huge varieties of different brands laptops are available and also deals are ON. ;) ;)

walkercharles85

Post by walkercharles85 »

I'll get on that then Arjan and Mr Soundman. Don't think I've updated the single since I got WL6 years ago! Will I bed to update that before I upgrade to WL8?

Apologies for the questions guys! I know what I'm doing I'm the program but an no way a techie. Because WL6 always worked I never updated as was too scared in case something went t!ts up!

So thanks for all the help.
The Official website of Sri Lanka ETA and SriLanka E-Visa . Fill the application form for Evisa SriLanka and get Visa online within 24 hours.

Return to “WaveLab 8 | WaveLab Elements 8”