New Steinberg synth: Padshop!

All topics on Padshop and Padshop Pro
HalfPastEternity

Re: New Steinberg synth: Padshop!

Post by HalfPastEternity »

Joan Cubaez wrote:Is it possible to feed this thing with own sample material?
I want to know too. I REALLY hope so. :)
Long list of gear. Woohooo, look how much stuff I've got!

Sir Dancelot

Post by Sir Dancelot »

Mr M wrote:
S4410 wrote:We 've been burned with various Steinberg's vst instruments ,can we trust them ?
Most of them get abandoned ...
:roll:

You should speak for yourself in cases like this (like YOU got burned or YOU can't trust them). I haven't seen a "burn" that wasn't plausibly explained by third party developers or the usual end of product cycle. Can you clarify and show examples of another software manufactirer that's been in business 30 years and has every product ever introduced still in production? Also ,please show a list proving that "most of them get abandoned" statement you made.
I don't agree that most of them get abandoned, I still have a lot of trust in their products....But....

There is this Virtual bassist :( . I bought that, and after a few months they dropped it. Where Steinberg made a statement that they would offer a crossgrade when the next level Virtual bassist would be introduced.
I don't need it anymore though, but it's bin years since that statement. As I remember the developer was bought by Pro-tools back then.

Greetz Dylan.
My Cloud

SOFT: Cubase6 | Wavelab6studio | Halion4-Melodyne editor

PLUGS: Virtual bassist | ToontrackEZ&superior&electronicEZX | Tone2: filterbank3&Bi-filter | AM: Kicklab XXL | D16: Phosycon&Toraverb | GSI: GS201 | Korg: Legacy Analogue | UAD: Precision limiter&CambridgeEQ | Rob Papen: RPdelay&RPdistort | Izotope Stutter edit

HARD: Quadcore6600 | 64bit-8gig-W7-Maudio Oxygen49 | Novation RemotezeroSL | Mackie Onyx400F | Alesis Monitor One | KRK Rokit6 | UADone PCIe | Rode NTK

Bodo
Steinberg Employee

Post by Bodo »

Sir Dancelot wrote:Looks like a thirdparty developer?! I mean why not the (fantastic, and I mean that) Blue/black/grey Cubase look?
No: it is developed by the same people crafting Halion 4/Sonic. I.e. you can see Matthias Klag in the promo video and you can also find his name on the about screen of Halion listed as developer. They are permanent employees of Steinberg.

Whirly

Post by Whirly »

HalfPastEternity wrote:
I want to know too. I REALLY hope so. :)
+1
Cubase Pro 10.5 l Logic Pro 10.5 l Reason Suite 11
Macbook Pro l OSX 10.14 Mojave l 2.6 GHz i7 l 16 GB
Wavelab 7.2 l HALion 6 l Groove Agent 5 l Backbone
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 l MR816x
Stuff I do: https://vimeo.com/190392395
Stuff I do: https://soundcloud.com/vbre/060320-1a

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid »

+1 from me as well.
Software: Steinberg Cubase Pro 8 64-bit.
Hardware: Intel i5 6600, 16Gb DDR3, Win7 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.

Sir Dancelot

Post by Sir Dancelot »

Bodo wrote:
Sir Dancelot wrote:Looks like a thirdparty developer?! I mean why not the (fantastic, and I mean that) Blue/black/grey Cubase look?
No: it is developed by the same people crafting Halion 4/Sonic. I.e. you can see Matthias Klag in the promo video and you can also find his name on the about screen of Halion listed as developer. They are permanent employees of Steinberg.
I know they are the same :roll: , I said: 'Looks like a thirdparty developer?!'
Like this one:

http://www.robpapen.com/albino-3.html

It's the first time Steinberg comes up with a lowbudget Instrument, I mean after
Virtual Guitarist, Virtual Bassist, Groove Agent, The Grand...Well the Halion products.
Now the new Neve Plug ins.

Padshop is an intirely different sort of product. The way I see it is that for that money don't expect a real good sounding instrument. More down the line like Embracer, Prologue , Spector etc.
Which are (especially Prologue, my goto synth) fine, but not exceptional.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Cubase 7 or 8 comes bundled with this one.

Greetz Dylan.
My Cloud

PLUGS: Virtual bassist | ToontrackEZ&superior&electronicEZX | Tone2: filterbank3&Bi-filter | AM: Kicklab XXL | D16: Phosycon&Toraverb | GSI: GS201 | Korg: Legacy Analogue | UAD: Precision limiter&CambridgeEQ | Rob Papen: RPdelay&RPdistort | Izotope Stutter edit

HARD: Quadcore6600 | 64bit-8gig-W7-Maudio Oxygen49 | Novation RemotezeroSL | Mackie Onyx400F | Alesis Monitor One | KRK Rokit6 | UADone PCIe | Rode NTK

Joan Cubaez

Post by Joan Cubaez »

Sir Dancelot wrote:... The way I see it is that for that money don't expect a real good sounding instrument. More down the line like Embracer, Prologue , Spector etc.
Which are (especially Prologue, my goto synth) fine, but not exceptional....
A short & smart analysis, Dylan. I am with you :) .
Win 7 64 bit ++ Core i5 2500k ++ Cubase 6 ++ UAD-2 ++

Burger Bar.......this is my 12th century church where I come for holy substance.......

Bane

Post by Bane »

S4410 wrote:We 've been burned with various Steinberg's vst instruments ,can we trust them ?
We all know that many of Steinberg's VSTi's don't exist anymore (or at least aren't supported)...
Virtual Bassist
Virtual Guitarist 2
Hypersonic 1 & 2
Groove Agent 1 & 2
HALion 1 & 2
HALion Player
The Grand 1 & 2
Waldorf Attack
D´Cota
Model-E
Waldorf PPG Wave
HALion String Edition 1 & 2
LM 4 MK II
Virtual Guitarist
Virtual Instrument Collection
Virtual Guitarist EE
X-Phraze
Asus R500A-RS52, Windows 8, 2.6gHz i5 -3230M, 6GB RAM,

Cubase Artist 7.0.6, Wavelab Elements 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, The Grand 3, Melodyne Essential, Superior Drummer, EZDrummer and Pop! EZX, Samson CO1, Yamaha P-35, Mackie MR5mk2 monitors, and more....

My tunes on: Soundcloud

Sir Dancelot

Post by Sir Dancelot »

In all fairness, the Grand , Hypersonic,Groove Agent They evolved to other versions, with fair upgrade prices.
You should skip those (and the likes of them) of that list.
My Cloud

Joan Cubaez

Post by Joan Cubaez »

Bane wrote: ...
Waldorf PPG Wave
otherwise I agree.

All I care for is the sequencer & acceptable fx. Compared to other developers Steinberg's instruments rather belong into the Toys 'R' us section.

Burger Bar.......this is my 12th century church where I come for holy substance.......

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid »

Model-E is freely available as vintage plugin as well, including 64-bit support.

Mr M

Post by Mr M »

[quote="Sir Dancelot"]In all fairness, the Grand , Hypersonic,Groove Agent They evolved to other versions, with fair upgrade prices.
You should skip those (and the likes of them) of that list.[/quote
am

...and the rest of the list (Virtual Guitarist etc, Hypersonic, Xphraze ) were developed with Wizoo which Avid purchased and then pulled the plug. So this comes down to just a few such as Model E which ran its course and was replaced by better synths.
i7-3930k @3.20Ghz 16gb Win7 64x Cubase 7 Komplete8 Maschine Axon50 and 11 hardware synths

Outsounder

Post by Outsounder »

Padshop may well be the most inspiring synth to come from Steinberg for a long long time. The demo's sound great, it looks great which is important in that it invites you to want to start tweaking and playing with it. (the skin/UI is reminiscent of the newly re-released Model E) The suggested the price is great, quality reasonable priced plugins are long overdue and thin on the ground, especially as plugins and apps for iPads/iphones are on the market for pennies these days.

Steinbergs stock synths are just so bland in every way, they look horrendous, cold unwelcoming slabs of grey that just take up huge chunks of screen real estate that are just not inviting and the majority of the factory presets are just as bland imo, even as stepping stone/starting points for exploration.

Maybe Steinberg should reskin all the stock synths and plugins with this new look UI - it may inspire and encourage users to actually stat playing with them, they do have potential but they are just so ugly and unappealing it's unreal and so easy to see why third party plugins are such a breath od fresh air and so popular.

it's suprising there'sno pre-order facilty or campaign to gauge the demand, Steinberg could well be quite suprised as to how popular this product is going to be...
Main-Intel i7/Asus mobo/Gforce GPU/32gig ram. Secondary-Intel Q9950/Asus mobo/Radeon GPU/8gig ram.Win7 pro/Win10 pro, Cubase 9.5 Pro/Cubase 10.5 pro, Studio One 4 Pro, ACID, Ableton Live, SonicCore/Scope DSP Audio System, Presonus Sceptre S6 monitors. Avid Artist Mix/Control and Transport. Software includes NI Komplete 10, Halion 6, East West Play Libraries, Heavyocity Libraries, Sample Logic Libraries Best Service Libraries, Sonokinetic Libraries, 8Dio Libraries,Project Sam Libaries, Sound Iron Libraries,Melodyne Pro, Uberschall Elastic & Liquid Libraries etc etc.

neilhunter

Post by neilhunter »

Just announced on KVR AUDIO:

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/18241

€49.99/£42.34 is confirmed it seems. Sounds very reasonable.

Personally, I like the GUI. Will have to wait until it's on my PC screen to see what it really looks like, but I honestly like it. That kind of GUI, along with HALion 4's GUI are very easy on the eye and makes you want to learn and make music.
Other Cubase VSTi's have the opposite effect sadly - really "square" blue...grey.... and cold to use like some freebie VST from some obscure developper in the back of beyond.

I really hope Cubase 7, gets the GUI thing sorted with it's VST's (instruments and effects), as they do not compare well, visually, with Sonar for example. (Or even Logic from a few years ago it has to be said.)

Looking forward to PADSHOP though......cool stuff.

Neil.
i7-3770 on Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Kingston HyperX 16Gb DDR3-2133, with Samsung 850EVO 250Gb SSD. Windows 10 Pro. Cubase 9.5 Pro, HALion 6, Cakewalk Z3ta+ 2.2, Rapture Pro & Pentagon v1.4, Padshop Pro. Behringer MX602 & Truth B2031A Monitors.

Outsounder

Post by Outsounder »

Couldn't agree more with you Niel.

It was suprising when C6 was released with such a better, streamlined look and feel, that they didn't drop the ugly grey brick look on all the plugins and stock synths.

As mentioned, the re-relase Model-E really looks sleek and sexy as does Padshop, Halion/Sonic

Surely it wouldn't take to much effort to re-skin the existing plugins and synths to the same level of such a pleasing look and feel, earlier releases looked much smarter and intuitive, thogh sometimes looks can be deceptive...

Such a facelift on said plugins shouldn't be held back for a Cubase 7 which should pay more attention to technical advances and inovation rather than cosmetics. Is it to much to ask Steinberg to get them updated now and include them in a soon to come/next maintainence release maybe - rather than hold such a makeover until the next major Namm or Musik Messe...?

Roll on the end of the month, really looking forward to it !
Main-Intel i7/Asus mobo/Gforce GPU/32gig ram. Secondary-Intel Q9950/Asus mobo/Radeon GPU/8gig ram.Win7 pro/Win10 pro, Cubase 9.5 Pro/Cubase 10.5 pro, Studio One 4 Pro, ACID, Ableton Live, SonicCore/Scope DSP Audio System, Presonus Sceptre S6 monitors. Avid Artist Mix/Control and Transport. Software includes NI Komplete 10, Halion 6, East West Play Libraries, Heavyocity Libraries, Sample Logic Libraries Best Service Libraries, Sonokinetic Libraries, 8Dio Libraries,Project Sam Libaries, Sound Iron Libraries,Melodyne Pro, Uberschall Elastic & Liquid Libraries etc etc.

More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Outsounder wrote:Couldn't agree more with you Niel.

It was suprising when C6 was released with such a better, streamlined look and feel, that they didn't drop the ugly grey brick look on all the plugins and stock synths.

As mentioned, the re-relase Model-E really looks sleek and sexy as does Padshop, Halion/Sonic

Surely it wouldn't take to much effort to re-skin the existing plugins and synths to the same level of such a pleasing look and feel, earlier releases looked much smarter and intuitive, thogh sometimes looks can be deceptive...

Such a facelift on said plugins shouldn't be held back for a Cubase 7 which should pay more attention to technical advances and inovation rather than cosmetics. Is it to much to ask Steinberg to get them updated now and include them in a soon to come/next maintainence release maybe - rather than hold such a makeover until the next major Namm or Musik Messe...?

Roll on the end of the month, really looking forward to it !
Word!!

Elektrobolt
Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Post by Elektrobolt »

Sir Dancelot wrote:The way I see it is that for that money don't expect a real good sounding instrument. More down the line like Embracer, Prologue , Spector etc.
Which are (especially Prologue, my goto synth) fine, but not exceptional.
I am not sure that a simple statement like so, is all that fair to be honest. As "real good sounding" is subjective to ears, what is sought, how it fits, etc.

Padshop is rather "limited", in the sense of the type of synthesis one can use, which in of itself is likely to be an excellent complement to other synthesis methods already available in other instruments. Listening to the demos for PS, I see no reason why not to expect a real good sounding instrument.

I mean, after all, the instrument won't make its own sounds, nor mix it, etc. Now, in terms of the available functions of a synthesizer, it may be limited in terms of "plain" filters, oscillators, modulators, etc. but that is probably more to keep them simple, use less resources, and to be able to sell more advanced ones separately.

However, these differences are generally what gives a particular machine "the edge" over the competition... having used many old hardware synths, I tend to differentiate them, not so much by "good sounding", but what they fit for. A lot of them oldies are actually not that "good sounding" (though a number of them are still VERY competetive), but they still have things that makes them "them", like filters, oscillators, modulators, etc. They often have and especially forms of irregularities, which makes them very unique.

I would be interested in knowing the relative CPU impact of Padshop. :)

I am positively excited about PS, as it is a relatively unavailable concept (in terms of the synthesis), and might be a trigger of a new set of software synthesizers. It seems Steinberg is keeping the trend of breaking ground with this new synthesizer, in terms of ease and availability. (I know of course that they didn't invent granular synthesis.)

Waldorf, for example, and for many, has been the king of wavetables, even though it was invented long before "Waldorf", so to speak. (By Wolfgang Palm, by the way, which with Steinberg made the PLEX synthesizer!) :D
"Remember that we live only in the present, in this fleeting instant; all the rest of our life is either past and gone, or not yet revealed."

Mikem

Post by Mikem »

At first glance, the GUI looks like Sampletank. In a bad way. :roll:

Elektrobolt
Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Post by Elektrobolt »

Mikem wrote:At first glance, the GUI looks like Sampletank. In a bad way. :roll:
SampleTank had an obnoxious red background display, as I remember, whereas Padshop uses a matt orange to highlight keywords and display waveforms waveforms (i.e. the entire background is not red). Actually, the displays remind me of the instrumentation in a BMW I drove a while back.
"Remember that we live only in the present, in this fleeting instant; all the rest of our life is either past and gone, or not yet revealed."

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid »

It's just been confirmed in the VST forum that Padshop will NOT allow importing custom samples.

Elektrobolt

Post by Elektrobolt »

I do not know this, of course :), but it appears it's a ROMpler (in terms of "the oscillators", i.e. samples).
Strophoid wrote:It's just been confirmed in the VST forum that Padshop will NOT allow importing custom samples.
There you go...

---

Otherwise, VERY interesting, it is implied (i.e. not explicitly stated) that it's available only as VST3. It seems that maybe Steinberg is ready to really showcase the true potential of Note Expression, since its modulation matrix fully supports NE modulation assignments. This means modulating synthesizer engine parameters per individual notes, and when those notes are moved, they will always operate the same. Excellent! :D

HALion instruments already does this, but with direct access to parameters in a granular synthesis engine, it's like programming such an instrument, but using dials, sliders, buttons and automation, or whatever else you may have at your disposal!!!

E.g. QC dials on the CC121, if you have one, but it should work with any MIDI device.

Joan Cubaez

Post by Joan Cubaez »

Strophoid wrote:It's just been confirmed in the VST forum that Padshop will NOT allow importing custom samples.
That's a pity!

Is there anyone out here using the Alchemy synthesizer (incl. the possibility to feed the machine with your own samples) ? I'd say this is a serious competitor to Padshop.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to some fresh reviews by the first proud Padshoppers.

Sir Dancelot

Post by Sir Dancelot »

I am not sure that a simple statement like so, is all that fair to be honest
You are not shure? Well I am damn shure.

This instrument didn't undergo the R&D like in Hi-end (loose term for sophisticated VST's) instruments, isn't equipped with the best interface, doesn't take all the advantages of routing, import, full controll over parameters.
If it was, it would be way over 50 dollars, and that is a fact.
If it wasn't then it would be all over the place. It would be introduced as a plain give away. And because it isn't, we can assume that it's pretty much worth 50 dollars, meaning not a great sounding Plug in.
I tried and purchased enough software to know that for 50 dollars you ain't get the real deal.

Now this is all in the light of technology. That doesn't rule out that this instrument can be used to make great sounding music. I am all for low budget. Hence my between brackets statement that Pro-logue is my goto synth.
My Cloud

Elektrobolt

Post by Elektrobolt »

Sir Dancelot wrote:
I am not sure that a simple statement like so, is all that fair to be honest
You are not shure? Well I am damn shure.
Good for you, mate!

Personally, I just like to keep an open mind.

S4410

Post by S4410 »

Bane wrote:
Mr M wrote: You should speak for yourself in cases like this (like YOU got burned or YOU can't trust them). I haven't seen a "burn" that wasn't plausibly explained by third party developers or the usual end of product cycle. Can you clarify and show examples of another software manufactirer that's been in business 30 years and has every product ever introduced still in production? Also ,please show a list proving that "most of them get abandoned" statement you made.
We all know that many of Steinberg's VSTi's don't exist anymore (or at least aren't supported)...
Virtual Bassist
Virtual Guitarist 2
Hypersonic 1 & 2
Groove Agent 1 & 2
HALion 1 & 2
HALion Player
The Grand 1 & 2
Waldorf Attack
D´Cota
Model-E
Waldorf PPG Wave
HALion String Edition 1 & 2
LM 4 MK II
Virtual Guitarist
Virtual Instrument Collection
Virtual Guitarist EE
X-Phraze

Thank you Bane
Some hardware too ,like Houston controller or Midex (64bit drivers were released after years of asking for them-i had already sold mine).
I never claimed that every old plugin should be supported.But most of them vanished,didn't they?
Nevertheless i am a long long time Cubase user and i am grateful for the tools they provide me.(you can see it in my signature)
Windows 10 Home | i7 3770k | Intel DZ77BH-55K | 32GB | Asus AMD 6450 | RME HDSPe AiO | Cubase Pro 10.5 | Wavelab Pro 10 | Dorico Pro 3 | iC| NI Komplete 11 | VSL Special Editions | Ableton Live Intro (rewired) | UAD-2 Quad

HP Elitebook| Cubase Elements

Return to “Padshop and Padshop Pro”