New Steinberg synth: Padshop!

another not too dissimilar products are Cube and Tera from Virsyn, slightly deeper than alchemy and the re-synthesis engine on Cube in particular is good, demos can be had from:

And yet another one, not entirely dissimilar to Cube, is Poseidon, also by VirSyn.

Entirely off the subject, but related to VirSyn, check out their 64-bit, VST3 effects line. :slight_smile:

Well, well, well.
I come home tonight and I get two presents. Not only has Cubase been updated to v6.5, but it also includes Padshop. that we’ve been discussing…plus a new synth Retrologue. Great stuff.

…but it isn’t a free update. It’s £42.34 (€49.99). :astonished:

Completely optional update, though. Maintenance update coming soon for 6.

More of a content upgrade than anything else.
But think of this:
If you were going to be buying Padshop, worth it.

This way, we Cubase users get a discount, since we aren’t JUST getting Padshop for that $50.
Got mine free, since I activated after Jan 1st.

Yep! 6.0.6 update available very soon.

Like you say, the 6.5 update is worth it just for Padshop alone, but there’s so much more. I’m very surprised at this though, charging for an update between C6 and C7. I would have thought they would release a PadshopSE version for Cubase 6 users, for free, hoping they’ll update to the full Padshop. OR, they could have given us SE versions of the two synths, then offered the full versions together for the same €50, if you wanted them. I’m expecting Cubase 7 next January, so maybe this is a good time to update to 6.5.

Swings and roundabouts I guess… :slight_smile:

The good news is: Retrologue is absolutely amazing. So amazing, that in the 4 hours I’ve spent on Cubase today, I didn’t get to check Padshop at all. So the bad news is: I have no idea if Padshop is any good :sunglasses:

Padshop is FABULOUS!!!

Sooo cool, and such a fresh new way of creating sound. BRAVO, Steinberg!

Still not at my setup :angry: Tonight first time,can’t wait…

Can’t wait! I use a lot of Korg Analogue edition,but I really want it to be VST3.
Judging by the demo Retrologue has similar sounding features?

I don’t have the korg synths so I can’t compare, but feature wise Retrologue is your typical subtractive VA synth. It sounds different from Prologue though, less digital.

Well I heard the demo sounds, And I think it’s a lot like the Korg analogue’s. because that package is
very ‘typical substractive VA’.
Korg offers more though, like envelope generators for both amp and filter and a VCO Modulator.
But for leads and basses the parameters in Retrologue will more then suffice.

Is prologue the only substractive synth you used? -edit- O in your sig. The Blofeld ofcourse, doesn’t that sound a whole lot better then Retrologue?!

Korg analogue is a very good deal, you get three synths for 169,- (Monopoly, Polysix and MS20)
And you can put the license on the Steinberg dongle.
I’ll be home tonight so will do a comparison between them.

Greetz Dylan.

I love my Blofeld, but I wouldn’t call it a real VA. It makes killer sounds and has a lot of functionality (wavetables, FM, etc as well as all the ‘regular’ synthesis methods), but it doesn’t really sound very analog. It comes close with some tweaking, but I find it’s better for other types of sounds.
In that sense Retrologue is a great addition to my synth collection.

I’ve tried other subtractive VA vst’s in the past, mostly free ones like Superwave P8 which aren’t bad (but not 64-bit). No paid alternatives though.

Hey guys - probably my first post here. Cubase 6 user.

Can Padshop be used for normal synth/string pad sounds aswell? I’m thinking 'bout standard pop/rock productions…

Or is this only intended for far out spacey sweeping sounds á la omnisphere?

I’m not doing electronic music - I’m moore a rock guy - but I of course love “regular” pads kinda like the 80s and 90s synth pads.

Does it offer anything like that or is it just crazy big cool sounds?

Granular synthesis is more for evolving pads like newage or drone like stuff. For contemporary pads, leads and basses you are better of with other synths.

I guess RETROLOGUE then, would be more your cup of tea!!

I guess RETROLOGUE then, would be more your cup of tea!!

Open up and go for preset ‘legendary Jump’ Hit C0 and C1, you know the rest!!

**Guys,

Had a listen to the online demo’s and Padshop look excellent value for the price. i was very impressed with the sounds (esp. Natural Born Chiller and Intro For You).

Best,

Paul**

Just wait until you play around with it for a while. Outstandingly cool sounds can be created!

Totally agree. I registred yesterday and was going through the manual a bit, played with it…
This machine will keep me busy. Very good value. Thank’s Steinberg.
Heads up.
Martin