UR22 mkII - Audio dropouts problem

This section is about Steinberg's UR and UR-RT USB audio interfaces product range
Palt0quet

Re: UR22 mkII - Audio dropouts problem

Post by Palt0quet »

Pyheme wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:12 am
So......I think I found the cause
I spent 3 full days to investigate all the possibilities and I finally got it.

I explain:

Since the problem was observed only with power supply, I searched for a link with it. I put the quality of the alimentation hypothesis aside...to open mind!
I searched for set ups which are different from battery to power supply in the power management (advanced parameters)
I set up al the same for battery and power supply ---> did not fix

BUT : I remarked that when I plugged the power supply, the frequency of CPU was more unstable and higher in the task manager, and actually it's the cause, and this cause is named : Turbo BOOST
Lots of CPU have now this technology (It's the case for those you have @Palt0quet @Budailaci, and mine) it can help sometimes when you need high CPU ressources, but it's not essential.

So I checked with this software : HW monitor (Free and safe). It displays all the processors speeds, temperatures etc....

--> On battery : the speed of each core is capped to the basal frequency (for me 1.80 Ghz, more or less)
--> On power supply : The speed is capped to the maximum speed of turbo boost mode (for me 4.60 Ghz)

So I desactivated the Intel Turbo Boost. it can be done in the Bios for some PC, but not mine.

There are other possibilities for turning off, including set up the maximum CPU utilisation at 99 % in the power management. Follow this link for several ways to turn off Turbo boost:

https://www.geeks3d.com/20170213/how-to ... -notebook/

NB : Depending on your version of windows update, some power options may be hidden, so just follow this link:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... n-Windows-

And after 3 hours of music on my computer (switching Turbo boost on and off to see the difference) : It's OK It's definitely the cause, at least for this kind of problem i.e: USB dropouts at 44.1 KHz, until 176.4 KHz, and not at 192 KHz, when the power supply is plugged

Important: Sometimes, we are experimenting other dropouts which are due to bad plugins, too much resources needed, bad buffer etc... those dropouts are differents and it makes the analysis of the root cause more difficult.
This solution is fixing one of the cause of dropouts, but one main cause !

Please try to switch off your Turbo boost and keep me informed, i hope that it will work for all of you guys!

I'm transferring directly the information to Steinberg in my opened ticket. Maybe they will find a solution to adapt the device drivers to this issue.
I'm also in contact with Asus for explaining the problem.

Have nice "stay at home" music sessions and take care !
Thanks a lot Phyeme!!! It's seems to work perfectly with this solution so far!!! Best Regards, you saved my brain from months of research!!!

SayAndre

Post by SayAndre »

Seems like,
I opened a ticket + a thread. No response even after almost 2 weeks. I get in touch with my hardwareseller on monday to replace the yamah ag03 interface.

enc29

Post by enc29 »

I received UR816C yesterday and despite VERY short USB cable which is annoying (but I'll probably buy a longer one if I keep the unit) I have this USB connection error crap now and then.

Some games, youtube, just start freezing for split second.

Does anyone know how to fix that?

I'll wait for Monday for support - don't want to ship it back, but will be forced to, if needed.

And btw, can't even install the software, it's all grayed out and not selectable. Re-downloaded, restarted few times:

danr

Post by danr »

I’m getting close to sending my brand new UR22c back for a refund. Only had it a week.
Audio dropouts in Cubase Elements 10 and browser.
On an Acer Intel i5 laptop, W10. Have tried everything short of a BIOS update - bus power, external power, usb 2.0 and 3.0, WIFI/AV off, higher buffer settings.
Don’t hold up much hope for support. Already have a ticket for a GA5se and no response for 22 days.
I realize demand for support is high at the moment but I bought the new interface to be able to record more during lockdown.
Disappointed as it’s a good, well built unit otherwise.

Seico

Post by Seico »

Got the UR22 MK2 since christmas last year. I had Dropout Problems with the Scarlett 2i2 back then and wanted to get a more stable one ... little did I know back then...
At first I had the dropouts on my Dell XPS 15 laptop and later on my new ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 15 too.

Specs:
Windows 10
Intel Core i9-9988HK CPU @ 2,40GHz, 2400 MHz 8 Cores
Mainboard ASUSTek COMPUTER INC. UX581GV
32GB RAM
NVidia Geforce RTX 2060

Dropouts are definitely more rare on my system when I use the extern power supply for the UR22 and keeping it on USB2.0 seems to help too. I find that the dropouts occure more on Chrome (Watching Youtube, Listening to music etc.) and less when playling games for example. I tried a bit around and I think it has nothing to do with hardware acceleration or switch programs from CPU to GPU.
I tried everything I knew to win against these dropouts. One thing that seemed to help (but not fix!) is deleting unused audio drivers (NVidia High Definition Audio/Intel High Definition Audio/sometimes even Realtek) And I found out that for me recent Windows Updates seem to worsen the problem. So I tried to pause updating windows which worked for some time. But at some point windows forces to install some kind of updates which I cant deinstall. I found this threat very usefull and will now try to work around the Turbo Boost Method and Kaspersky as mentioned and will then give a quick update. I even thought about upgrading again to a RME Babyface but I still dont know if similar problems will occur on it too :(

danr

Post by danr »

Seico wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:04 am
I even thought about upgrading again to a RME Babyface but I still dont know if similar problems will occur on it too :(
I wouldn’t have thought so. Safe bet to go with an RME.
The UR22c’s going back. My Focusrite 2i2 1st gen is much more reliable as is ASIO4ALL.

gianjakob

Post by gianjakob »

BilboCZ wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:14 pm
I have similar problem with my UR22 mkII. While playing sound drops for a moment literally every 15 minutes. And in records from Studio One 3 there are moments of silnce. It started about week ago. Firstly I thought it's USB power issue, but without Yamaha USB driver problem disappered (but this generic Microsoft driver is unusable for different reasons, such as horrible distortion...). So it's definitelly not problem with USB.

I've tried newer and older drivers, disabling and removing antivirus, disable all USB power saving properties, changing buffer size, sample rate and latency mode, update windows form 1903 to 1909, nothing changed.

Using Dell vostro 5471, i5 8250U, UHD 620, 8+16 GB RAM
Yeah dude... I have the same f@ckin' problem. It is a nightmare how this drops could damage your recording and force you to start everything again. Also, I'm having something like a "Lag or Freeze" when I am using my DAW Cubase AI 9.5 which came with the UR22mkII interface. It's like a lag with the mouse after recording a track and moving around the track with zoom in and zoom out. It's really a nightmare. I didn't have this issue in the past, but now I find it terrible. Furthermore, when this lag ocurrs, I can notice a blue bar in the Disk Cache Load next to the Average Audio Processing Load. It seems to be a freeze in the laptop.

I used to have some issues since I bought the interface and thought that my Laptop wasn't good enough for it. But then I realized it wasn't true. I have a Lenovo Ideapad 510 Core i7 7th Gen. It's good enough for it. So maybe Windows 10 is the worst thing ever created. Why you have an interface if you can't use it? Doesn't have sense for me.

Does anybody know if Macbook or Mac Devices are having the same problem with their iOS system? Hopefully no, but lets see what happen next with this crap of Windows.
Attachments
Audio interruption due to USB error is detected..jpeg
(140.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet

christheokguitarist

Post by christheokguitarist »

Pyheme wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:12 am
So......I think I found the cause
I spent 3 full days to investigate all the possibilities and I finally got it.

I explain:

Since the problem was observed only with power supply, I searched for a link with it. I put the quality of the alimentation hypothesis aside...to open mind!
I searched for set ups which are different from battery to power supply in the power management (advanced parameters)
I set up al the same for battery and power supply ---> did not fix

BUT : I remarked that when I plugged the power supply, the frequency of CPU was more unstable and higher in the task manager, and actually it's the cause, and this cause is named : Turbo BOOST
Lots of CPU have now this technology (It's the case for those you have @Palt0quet @Budailaci, and mine) it can help sometimes when you need high CPU ressources, but it's not essential.

So I checked with this software : HW monitor (Free and safe). It displays all the processors speeds, temperatures etc....

--> On battery : the speed of each core is capped to the basal frequency (for me 1.80 Ghz, more or less)
--> On power supply : The speed is capped to the maximum speed of turbo boost mode (for me 4.60 Ghz)

So I desactivated the Intel Turbo Boost. it can be done in the Bios for some PC, but not mine.

There are other possibilities for turning off, including set up the maximum CPU utilisation at 99 % in the power management. Follow this link for several ways to turn off Turbo boost:

https://www.geeks3d.com/20170213/how-to ... -notebook/

NB : Depending on your version of windows update, some power options may be hidden, so just follow this link:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... n-Windows-

And after 3 hours of music on my computer (switching Turbo boost on and off to see the difference) : It's OK It's definitely the cause, at least for this kind of problem i.e: USB dropouts at 44.1 KHz, until 176.4 KHz, and not at 192 KHz, when the power supply is plugged

Important: Sometimes, we are experimenting other dropouts which are due to bad plugins, too much resources needed, bad buffer etc... those dropouts are differents and it makes the analysis of the root cause more difficult.
This solution is fixing one of the cause of dropouts, but one main cause !

Please try to switch off your Turbo boost and keep me informed, i hope that it will work for all of you guys!

I'm transferring directly the information to Steinberg in my opened ticket. Maybe they will find a solution to adapt the device drivers to this issue.
I'm also in contact with Asus for explaining the problem.

Have nice "stay at home" music sessions and take care !
My god, you've bloody solved it. I've been trying to solve this issue for the best part of a year, and disabling turbo boost has fixed it.
I'll ring up the pope and see if I can get you canonized :lol: Thank you!

mp-pinheiro

Post by mp-pinheiro »

Yep, experiencing this as well.

I was using a Behringer UMC22 before, but wanted to get away from the buggy drivers. Oh, sweet innocence.

Specs:
Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Cache 64MB 3.8GHz (4.6GHz Max Turbo)
Motherboard Biostar X570GT8 Ver. 5.x
32gb 3200mhz RAM
Radeon RX 5700 XT 8gb

Can't try the "intel boost" fix on an AMD processor. Nothing else worked, changing buffers did nothing, this is so, so annoying. Then again, even if that solved the problem, my setup is fairly beefy, it's really not acceptable to not be able to use the device with low latency. Playing with latency is a nightmare, albeit nos as much of a nightmare as my sound cutting off every 10-30 seconds, it still sucks.

I do hope Yamaha does something about this. I love Yamaha, honestly, I have Yamaha Synths, I have a MG10XU mixing board which is great (although I've never used the integrated USB interface, hope the performance is better than this), Cubase is wonderful, the list goes on. I just want a USB audio interface that is not gigantic, just enough for my mic and my guitar, and I thought the UR12 would be the one. Very disappointed.

Showman6L6

Post by Showman6L6 »

mp-pinheiro wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:20 am

Can't try the "intel boost" fix on an AMD processor. Nothing else worked, changing buffers did nothing, this is so, so annoying. Then again, even if that solved the problem, my setup is fairly beefy, it's really not acceptable to not be able to use the device with low latency. Playing with latency is a nightmare, albeit nos as much of a nightmare as my sound cutting off every 10-30 seconds, it still sucks.

I have a Ryzen processor, pretty sure it's called Precision boost for AMD. Although I've tried that and it doesn't fix audio drop outs. It's also not an acceptable solution because that's how processors work these days. I have a Line 6 PodXT that's over a decade old, plugged it into my system and it's been solid for a week. It doesn't have low latency obviously. Steinberg blaming Win10 when some 12 year old interface works without drop outs is pretty amateur. My UR22 worked fine on Win7, but the drivers on Win10 have too many issues.

slavafedyaev

Post by slavafedyaev »

Hello, I ve found the solution for my PC.
Ryzen 3700X
MSI X570 A Pro
64 GB 2666Mhz Kingstone KVR
ASRock RX5700

Had the same troubles with interruptions, on the 3rd of July MSI released the new beta bios - i've update the mobo, and now it works like MacPro, without any dropouts and other problems.
P.S. Sorry for my English, im from Siberia. =)

Showman6L6

Post by Showman6L6 »

slavafedyaev wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:42 am
Hello, I ve found the solution for my PC.
Ryzen 3700X
MSI X570 A Pro
64 GB 2666Mhz Kingstone KVR
ASRock RX5700

Had the same troubles with interruptions, on the 3rd of July MSI released the new beta bios - i've update the mobo, and now it works like MacPro, without any dropouts and other problems.
P.S. Sorry for my English, im from Siberia. =)
I have Ryzen 5 3600, on MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS. I'm on the new beta bios (3rd July). If I run my RAM at default SPD values, (2 sets), 2133mhz or 2666mhz, I do not get drop outs. If I run the RAM at advertised speeds (3600mhzCL38), I get drop outs. I also have Radeon RX 5700. This occurs on any BIOS from the factory shipped one to present. I tested each one to be sure.

Not sure why you'd have 64 gigs of RAM that slow with a 3700x, but is that the max speed? If not, try it with XMP profile and report back

TSO

Post by TSO »

new computer has this problem too

MB/B460M GAMING HD (1.0)
CPU/I3 10100

It works without this problem on the old computer

any news?

esonneveld

Post by esonneveld »

Also having this problem for a while now. I tried disabling the Turbo Boost but it does not help.

Really annoying. Any news?

HopTzop

Post by HopTzop »

I'm experiencing audio cuts from time to time, the interface just turns off for a split second. I've tried with different cable, same story and it started after the last driver update. Before that it didn't had any problems.

toti

Post by toti »

also have this problem with mi new UR12
i tried everyfing , different drivers, energy options, turbo boost disable, different usb ports , disable Lan , wifi and nothing works :(

TSO

Post by TSO »

After repeated testing
DAC works on old computers without this problem

Looks like we have to wait for new chipset drivers or Microsoft updates

Hope Steinberg can help report this issue to them

remageFrs

Post by remageFrs »

I have the same dropout issue with a Dell XPS13 (Intel Core i5-7200) and an UR22mkII.
However, it seems to be working when the interface is connected to a desktop PC.

My guess (based on the fact that the laptop heats up significantly around the USB connector to which the interface is connected) is that the laptop can barely provide enough power for the interface over USB. I tried to power the interface with an external power supply, but that doesn't seem to work, it won't turn on.

I disabled the Processor Boost Mode in the advanced power management settings of Windows 10, but it didn't help.

TSO

Post by TSO »

I found a new solution
But no one mentioned this setting surprised me

We all know to disable any energy saving settings on the DAW system

Recently there is a setting for a new computer (sorry, the last computer has been used for ten years)

In the BIOS there is a platform called Platform Power Management

Disable this option
One of the most harmful is one of the options (DMI ASPM)

DAW system is really different from the system used daily

Especially in the current requirements for energy saving, the impact on the system will be more in the future

Hope this helps

stalevar

Post by stalevar »

doesn't work:
- disabling Turbo boost
- disabling EIST
- installing on virginly clean windows 10
- capping CPU utilization to 99%
and...
I split usb cable half to PC and half to 1A 5v PSU - and it also DOESN"T WORK!! How come? I'm totally desperate, i'm getting those dropouts 3 years already out of the box.

marnison

Post by marnison »

I had the problem with
In VST Audio System I'm getting this error message:
"Audio interruption due to USB error is detected. Refer to the troubleshooting in the operation manual."

Using UR28M and Nuendo but still might be useful - I had an external drive connected via a USBC card connected to my PC. I had Nuendo open and I tried to dismount the drive but for some reason Nuendo was using the drive. I closed Nuendo, dismounted the drive. Restarted Nuendo and the error message was no longer showing.

toti

Post by toti »

Hello
Today I also tried a new usb cable and it did not work either.
I sent an email to steinbergussupport@yamaha.com and they do not give me support because I am outside of USA.
i'm very disappointed with steinberg ...

Return to “Steinberg UR Series”