eLicenser hassles with old VSTs

Hi, I’m getting back into music after a long break. I’ve kept my Cubase up to date so I’m on Pro 8.
I’m running Windows 10 and so far everything’s been OK.

I’ve had a frustrating weekend trying to install some of my old instruments.
The Halion 3 installer kept giving me the eLicenser message about “other activated processes” preventing the install. A combination of cancels and continues made it through and it’s working.

I can’t say the same for Halion String Edition 2. I get the same error but nothing I do makes it past the error message.
Also Hypersonic won’t work, it’s installed but I then had to reinstall up to date eLicenser software. I’ve copied the DLL to C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins and it appears in Cubase but if I try to load Hypersonic, Cubase just locks up.

I guess these are out of date really, I have HSO and Sonic SE2. But should I have to just throw away my expensive VSTs just because they’re old?

I have the same issue with Groove Agent 2

I need to install it, since I want to revisit some old songs for our 15th anniversary in December and the projects are missing drums since Groove agent 2 won’t install and groove agent 4 doesn’t seem to have the old kits from groove agent 1 & 2

OK, I believe I have this working now.

1. Uninstall the latest elicenser.
  2. Download the latest elicenser (don’t install)
  3. Install the application (in my case groove agent 2
  4. Reboot
  5. Install latest Elicenser

Run app.
Finally got Groove Agent 2 working.

Halion String Edition 2 is really old, and I assume you’re using the old dongle too. The old version of the Steinberg dongle sometimes stops working properly after some years. Try buying a new one, they’re a lot more reliable. Transferring licenses should be super easy.

Thanks guys. I will try the uninstall/reinstall of the eLicenser again.
All my licences (including Cubase and Wavelab) are on one dongle, which is up to date as far as I know.