DON*T TIMESTRETCH MY AUDIO FOR GODS SAKE

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Lasso

DON*T TIMESTRETCH MY AUDIO FOR GODS SAKE

Post by Lasso »

Why does Cubase assume I want to timestretch imported audio files?

Happens everytime I import a file to a mastering session.

There has god to be a way to this off????????????

Leave my audio alone for crying out loud! :evil:
2015 MBP Retina @ 2,8 gHz, High Sierra, Cubase Pro 10, WaveLab Pro 9, UAD Apollo Twin, UAD Apollo Satellite Quad TB

andyjh

Re: DON*T TIMESTRETCH MY AUDIO FOR GODS SAKE

Post by andyjh »

Not sure what you mean here, I import audio files (.wav usually) all the time, but have never been prompted to timestretch, what needs to be done to get a time stretch prompt up?
Master: Windows 10 64-bit / i7 7820X / 32GB RAM / Dual Monitors / Steinberg UR824 / MOTU Midi Express 128
Slave: Windows 7 64-bit / i7 / 16Gb RAM / Dual monitors / Emu 1820m. Networked via VE Pro
Cubase Pro 10, Absolute 3 (Halion 6), Wavelab Pro 9.0, Dorico Pro 2.1.1
Equipment list: - more than I need : Plug in list:- definitely more than I need

Lasso

Post by Lasso »

andyjh wrote:Not sure what you mean here, I import audio files (.wav usually) all the time, but have never been prompted to timestretch, what needs to be done to get a time stretch prompt up?
It sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't. It's like Cubase analyses the audio on import and at will decides whether to enter "mus" mode in the pool - thus timestrecthing the imported audio to somehow fit the project.

It can see it's smart when working with loops sa they automatically enters the project at the correct bpm. I work with mastering so it's not so cool. It would be totally embarrasing to deliver a mastered track that had been timestretched. Sometimes I don't notice right awa because I don't know the material.
2015 MBP Retina @ 2,8 gHz, High Sierra, Cubase Pro 10, WaveLab Pro 9, UAD Apollo Twin, UAD Apollo Satellite Quad TB

ffg

Post by ffg »

Itv seems to depend where the file comes from. I had a bundle of files from Fruity Loops to incorporate into a project and they were all warped. Fairly easy to see the little logo on the region and also check in the Pool.

Should be an option somewhere like "Auto warp audio files on import"
best wishes

David

I'm going to to let the situation mature...

Nuendo 10.3
Cubase 10.5
MacPro 3.3 6-core OSX 10.12
Macbook Pro OSX 10.14
RME Fireface 802
RME Fireface 800
Audient ID14

Lasso

Post by Lasso »

Yeah. And it's totally unpredictable too. Cubase should never, EVER perfom ANY kind of processing without the user telling it to. I've plowed through the manual as well, only to conclude that Cubase can tempodetect and stretch imported audio. But it doesn't say how to turn the feature OFF...or why it's on by default?!?!?!

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim »

Are you importing to an existing track you have set to musical mode?
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

Conman

Post by Conman »

Could you be importing some material that is 48kHz into a 44.1kHz Project? That will always change the audio to match your present ASIO settings.

or

In your Options / Editing / Audio do you have your
"On import audio files" set to the option "Open options dialog"

Also, but I'm pretty sure this would give you a similar result, is it worth changing your "Time stretch on import" algorithm to something else?

Here I'm presuming you're fairly new to Cubase but it really is more productive to ask "Why am I getting this behaviour?" than demanding that the product should do what you think it should be doing.

You get more informed and considered answers and then if you're still not happy THEN you can kick butt with conviction.
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

beatpete

Post by beatpete »

I seem to remember there was a preference for this somewhere...
Comp1: Windows 10 64 bit, Asus X99-A USB 3.1, I7 5930K (running at 4500 MHz), 32 gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 ram, Radeon HD5450 graphics, RME Digiface, Steinberg UR824 and MR816x (X2)
(connected to Digiface), Cubase 10.5 64bit
Comp 2: Windows 10 64bit, I5 3450,32 gb ram, VEPro 7.

Lasso

Post by Lasso »

Grim wrote:Are you importing to an existing track you have set to musical mode?
I've tried both - no change. Imports time stretched no matter what. No logic.

Lasso

Post by Lasso »

Conman wrote: Here I'm presuming you're fairly new to Cubase but it really is more productive to ask "Why am I getting this behaviour?" than demanding that the product should do what you think it should be doing.

You get more informed and considered answers and then if you're still not happy THEN you can kick butt with conviction.
I'm not. Please don't school me.

Conman

Post by Conman »

So far though you seem to be the only one affected (I'll give that time for anyone else to report this in). Gotta be something basic. Either some user procedure or the files you are importing are conflicting with Cubase or your soundcard driver on the way in.
If I get a really annoying scenario like this it's either very simple to fix or something serious or complex is going on in the machinery.
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

Sonik

Post by Sonik »

Turn off the musical mode on the pool...
Macbook Pro i9 32gb|Studio One 5|Protools 2020.5|Cubase Pro 10.5.20|Wavelab 10.0.40|Logic X|Apollo Quad|4xUAD-2 (24 core)
Manley Massive Passive|Thermionic Phoenix Mastering Plus|Maselec MLA-2|API 2500|Avalon 737sp|Summit TLA-100A|Distressor EL8-X|Apogee Symphony||Euphonix McMix x2|Dangerous Music 2 Bus LT|ATC SCM20 ASL Pro|Amphion One18|
Halion Sonic 3|Komplete12 Ultimate|Stylus RMX|Trilian|Omnisphere 2.6|VSL Strings|EW Pianos|ReFx Nexus 3|AirMusicTech|Sylenth|Predator|Kick 2|Serum|ANA2|Korg Collection 2
UAD|Waves|Soundtoys|Melodyne|Softube|Brainworx|PluginAlliance|Fabfilter|Sonnox|Eventide|Oeksound

Conman

Post by Conman »

Lasso wrote:
Conman wrote: Here I'm presuming you're fairly new to Cubase but it really is more productive to ask "Why am I getting this behaviour?" than demanding that the product should do what you think it should be doing.

I'm not. Please don't school me.

Oooh! missus. :mrgreen: That's advice, not schooling. The way you're going about thngs strikes me as though it needs it. My apologies professor.
Schooling would be telling one not to put the header in caps but I don't mind really.

Lasso

Post by Lasso »

Sonik wrote:Turn off the musical mode on the pool...
Yeah - that's what I do. But it strikes me odd that Cubase applies a process without me asking it to do so and then having to shut it off.

Lasso

Post by Lasso »

Dear Conman. I really don't think you understand.

I'm not saying it's a bug. Actually I KNOW it's a feature. I just want to be able to turn the damn feature OFF. There is no sample rate or sound card conflict. You're wild guessing and pulling up issues not even mentioned in my original post.

I'll explain it again then. What happens is this: when importing certain files, (probably material with lots of transient information at equal distances but I don't know the algorith) Cubase assumes I'm trying to import a loop based file that needs to be fitted to the project tempo. It calculates the files tempo with it's tempo detection tool, switches to "musical mode" in the pool and then timestretches the file in the arrangement window.

While this feature is absolutely briliant when actually working with loops it absolutely lethal when you're not. It's dead easy to go to the pool and remove the "musical mode" checkmark. All I'm saying is: there really should be a prefence to shut the "auto detect tempo and stretch to projet tempo" funtion off.

Ok?

Sheldy13

Post by Sheldy13 »

By any chance is your root key selected? That might be causing your problem?
Win 7 Pro 64-bit, LGA1155 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600k 4.5GHz Quad 8 meg cache with HT, Mushkin - 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 1.6v 9-9-9-24, 1x500GB 16Meg Sata II Perpendicular ST3500418AS, 2x1TB (1000G) Sata II 32meg cache, TI Firewire, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Cubase 7 64-bit

andyjh

Post by andyjh »

I still don't really get what your problem is, as Cubase never ever does that here, it must be the format of the files, what are they exactly? Sounds like they are REX files or something.

maybe you could state what an offending file format is, bit count, bit rate etc, and how you import them (I always drag files to the arrange window), I think more specific info is needed to find a solution, because at the moment, no one else is seeing this problem, so we cannot go to Steinberg and say fix this, as we cannot tell them what to fix.
Master: Windows 10 64-bit / i7 7820X / 32GB RAM / Dual Monitors / Steinberg UR824 / MOTU Midi Express 128
Slave: Windows 7 64-bit / i7 / 16Gb RAM / Dual monitors / Emu 1820m. Networked via VE Pro
Cubase Pro 10, Absolute 3 (Halion 6), Wavelab Pro 9.0, Dorico Pro 2.1.1
Equipment list: - more than I need : Plug in list:- definitely more than I need

Lasso

Post by Lasso »

Sheldy13 wrote:By any chance is your root key selected? That might be causing your problem?
Maybe you're on to something. In the pool it determines the root key to be A.

Here's the crazy thing. THe mastered file imports just fine. Maybe there's something in the meta data? I'll ask the engineer what he did

scott717

Post by scott717 »

New here, so take it easy on me... but, the first post said the issue happens "everytime," and then a few posts later it was "it sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't," and then in the last post it wass "I'lll ask the engineer what he did," which implies that it is a single project. It might be helpful to know if this is a single project issue from one engineer or more than one project (from one or various engineers), etc.
N 6.5.35 (64) w/ NEK | Cubase 8.0 (64) | PCAL i7 6-core 3.2GHz | 12 GB RAM | Win 7 (64)| AMD Radeon HD6700 | RME HDSP9652 | UAD2 | Lynx Mytek and Lavry AD/DA | Waves | Lexicon | Sonnox | Slate Digital | SoundToys | Spectrasonics | NI | Izotope | Focal Solo6 Be

Sheldy13

Post by Sheldy13 »

Lasso wrote:
Sheldy13 wrote:By any chance is your root key selected? That might be causing your problem?

Here's the crazy thing. THe mastered file imports just fine. Maybe there's something in the meta data? I'll ask the engineer what he did
Also check out page 132 of the Cubase 6 operation manual about "Transposing your music".
Win 7 Pro 64-bit, LGA1155 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600k 4.5GHz Quad 8 meg cache with HT, Mushkin - 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 1.6v 9-9-9-24, 1x500GB 16Meg Sata II Perpendicular ST3500418AS, 2x1TB (1000G) Sata II 32meg cache, TI Firewire, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Cubase 7 64-bit

Lasso

Post by Lasso »

scott717 wrote:New here, so take it easy on me... but, the first post said the issue happens "everytime," and then a few posts later it was "it sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't," and then in the last post it wass "I'lll ask the engineer what he did," which implies that it is a single project. It might be helpful to know if this is a single project issue from one engineer or more than one project (from one or various engineers), etc.
Yeah, sorry, I wasn't clear. It has happened with several different files in several different sessions. No pattern I can think off.

Lasso

Post by Lasso »

Sheldy13 wrote:
Lasso wrote:

Also check out page 132 of the Cubase 6 operation manual about "Transposing your music".
Why? The file is not transposed. Only timestretched.

Sheldy13

Post by Sheldy13 »

Why? The file is not transposed. Only timestretched.[/quote]

It's all about how to set the root key, and how it works.

Lasso

Post by Lasso »

Sheldy13 wrote:Why? The file is not transposed. Only timestretched.
It's all about how to set the root key, and how it works.[/quote]

I read the chapter still without understanding why Cubase think it needs to timestrectch some files, some not? More testing tommorrow.

Henky

Post by Henky »

andyjh wrote:maybe you could state what an offending file format is, bit count, bit rate etc, and how you import them (I always drag files to the arrange window), I think more specific info is needed to find a solution.
That's what i would like to know also, but you still haven't told us the details...

In your first post you refer to it happening while you import a file to a "mastering session".
Are there any special conditions why you call it a mastering session?
What makes it different from a normal session?

Return to “Older Cubase versions”