How do I remove an expired trial licence.

Me too, but in my case I was trying to activate a Dorico’s educational license (1.0, I think) after trial expired (1.2). The trial is on my usb, and I can’t erase it. End up having to install the new license on Soft-elicenser because it wouldn’t install on USB. At least Dorico is working but I am not sure if I can move my license to dongle, or if i will have some issues in the future… Guess I don’t get this Steinberg license thing at all…

Thanks treetop327! …for doing Steinberg’s job!!

Your fix worked for me :slight_smile:

Old thread, but very current issue for me.

Recently I started getting error messages while running eLicenser maintenance on steps 3 and 6. Basically the error said " It appears this copy of soft-elicense was not generated on this computer. You must contact your software vendor to blah, blah, blah.’ I just clicked ‘Cancel’ and Cubase 9.5 started without issue. Seems that there was an old expired soft-eLicense from a Cubase trial that I downloaded many years ago. I wasn’t able to deleted the expired trial off of the eLicenser through the latest downloaded eLicenser utility app. But the solution above, simply renaming the ‘SeLicenser.sel’ file fixed the issue.

Now the maintenance runs completely through all steps without any error messages or hangups. And the correct current licenses show up and work correctly.

Many thanks to treetop327!

Thanks treetop327! Your solution works perfectly. I just renamed “SeLicencer.sel” to “OLD SeLicenser.sel” - worked like a charm!

Doesn’t work anymore. It says file is protected in an object server.

Where is this file on mac?
cant see it in library/Application support

This still works. I just did it (Windows 10 Pro, Cubase 10.0.20 Pro). Thanks again, treetop327!

Hi,

Can anyone help me remove an old Soft eLicencer from my eLicence control center? The Soft eLicence was a from a crack copy of Cubase, which was already on the my laptop when i bought it a few weeks ago. I have recently purchased Cubase Elements 10 and tried to activate the Soft Licence, but it won’t activate because the old crack Soft eLicence is still on the system.
When i try to active my new Soft eLicence I get the error message “Upgrade failed. At least one of the eLicensers used during this process was disabled and cannot be used for any license transactions. Please contact your software vendor to solve this issue”.
I understand that the Soft eLicence is bound to my computer hard drive, but is there a way of deleting it? I called the German Steinberg helpline, who told me i would have to change the OS, but i fell that is a little extreme.

Did you try the suggestion mentioned in the thread?

Regards :sunglasses:

Thank you. been looking for a solution for months.
rsp

delete_: SeLicenser.sel

WIN: C:\ProgramData\Syncrosoft\ SeLicenser.sel

MAC: Library/Application Support/Syncrosoft Soft-eLicenser/ SeLicenser.sel

Hi,

I’m looking in the correct folder but can’t find SeLicenser.sel

The entire folder is empty and I’ve checked on a PC and Mac.

I think the Cubase 10.5 trial has affected my inability to record on an older version of Cubase.

Please help .

What worked for me (I’m on Windows 10) . . . To remove a trial licence from eLicenser Control Center, first uninstall the program, then in eLicenser click the Maintenance button (while connected to internet) . . . poof ! expired trial licence gone.

As a new user, I am not sure about ‘netiquette’ protocols here. I came here looking for a way to remove a message that popped up every time I loaded Cubase LE AI Elements 9, regarding expired trial licences. I wanted to remove this message, so I would get a “clean start” with Cubase each time.

None of these items appeared in Control Panel > Programs, so it seemed that there was nothing to uninstall.
So, as recommended above, I tried deleting C:\ProgramData\Syncrosoft\SeLicenser.sel (Win 10), but then Cubase wouldn’t start at all. Instead, it asked for a new activation code! I restored the SeLicenser.sel file from the Recycle Bin, and Cubase started again as usual, with the same trial licence pop-up as before. (Back to square one . . .)

I decided to do a little more digging.
I found a folder that contained files with references to the eight (8) licences that had expired.
The folder in which they were located was “C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound”.
The first item in the pop-up message was called “Analog Techno”.
The related file in that folder was called “FCP_SMT_244_Analog_Techno.vstsound”.
There were similar references to the other seven items, and all the filenames began with “FCP_SMT_###" followed by the name.
For all eight of these, I replaced the expression “vstsound” with three underscores "
__”, then restarted Cubase.

Voilà … ! Magnifique …! No more trial licence pop-ups!

I have since deleted these 8 files (7.21 GB) and have experienced no problems. And so, while it seems that I solved my own problem, a visit to this Forum helped me get started with a solution, and I thought I should post the solution that worked for me, in case it might help someone else. Cheers!

Great job… worked for me… Thanks

When I tried to delete the file or even just change the it says that the file is in the “Protected Object Server” so I can’t edit it. Any ideas how to override this?

To remove expired trial version of any qubase simply run the eLC and Click on Action then maintenance. I manage to remove trial version of wavelab pro 10

worked for Cubase 11 pro trail … I own Cubase Artist, but trial was in red and gave pop up. Removal greyed out.
Exit everything then rename file.
Fixed… many thanks for fix :slight_smile:

That fix worked for me too!